By volunteering in Belize you will get involved in a home building project that uses traditional and sustainable building methods, such as sandbag walls and reed composting, you will be helping orphans who, without the help of this project, would be desperately trying to find somewhere to live. This is a self-sustainable community farm dedicated to the promotion of self reliance, harmonious living and above all, providing a safe, stable and healthy home for abused and orphaned children whom law dictates, must leave the orphan system at only 16 years of age.
This development project is bringing a sense of community to the children abandoned by the legal system, while immersing them in inspiring sustainability initiatives helping to preserve local resources enabling the community to be financially independent. Importantly, this farm aims to become a transition model to inspire other community building and sustainable farming initiatives throughout Belize. Additional initiatives currently being undertaken on this project including food security sustainable agricultural practices, and preserving biodiversity through land management. Volunteer in Belize and help to develop the futures of these vulnerable young adults.
View more of Kaya's building volunteer abroad projects around the world.
This project needs developmental volunteers to help support the above practices and provide much needed man power and support to the initiatives on the ground. The project is making slow progress and additional hands on help is needed to help it to meet is goals. As a volunteer on this project you will gain a sense of perspective about your own life and possessions as well as gaining an understanding of more traditional and eco friendly approaches to building and farming.
• Duration: 2-26 weeks
• Cost: £1050 / $1838 for 2 weeks,
£255 / $446 per each extra week
• Requirements: Age 18+
• Location: San Ignacio and Cayo District, Belize
• Project activities: Building, maintenance, construction, tree planting, environmental assessments.
• Working Hours: Monday-Friday 6-8h per day
• Project availability: Project starts 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month.
• Arrival day: Saturday
• Accommodation: Single/shared room in a home-stay or volunteer house. Groups will camp on site.
• Food: 3 meals a day
• Airport pick up and drop off at Belize City International Airport
• Training: Orientation and project induction provided
• Support: 24 hour support
• Excursion Planning: Staff can help to suggest weekend activities (activity price will be extra). Trips may include; canoeing through jungle, caves, tubing, visit Mayan ruins, hiking and horse riding.
• Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
olunteer in Belize this Spring Break and g...
£ 839 ($1469) for 1 week
Work in tandem with local schools to suppo...
£ 1560 ($2730) for 4 weeks
Come and volunteer in Belize on this 2 wee...
£ 1040 ($1820) for 2 weeks
Do you have the skills necessary to volunt...
£ 1560 ($2730) for 4 weeks
Become a volunteer in Belize and bring muc...
£ 2580 ($4515) for 8 weeks