With numerous environmental threats it is vital that we fully understand the complex relationships between human populations, wildlife and the ecosystems in which they live. Right now, there is more emphasis than ever before on a holistic approach to conservation management and this internship programme delivers this. This is a skills-based placement taught over 6 months and compromising both core and vocation-specific activities, with the ultimate goal of ensuring a sustainable ecosystem to preserve the long-term potential of species diversity and indigenous life in the Amazon rainforest. By joining our internship programme you will become a member of a dynamic team of like-minded individuals working together towards a sustainable future for the Amazon.
View more of Kaya's environmental conservation volunteer abroad projects around the world.
Having an intern understand this is useful not only for the local beneficiaries of the projects but also ensures the intern’s experience will be thought provoking and challenge their own viewpoints and perspectives, as well as providing a deeper understanding of local realities and cultures.
Cusco is the archaeological capital of the Americas and the oldest continuously inhabited city on the continent. Its legacy as the seat of the Inca Empire is readily apparent. Many of the city streets are lined with original stone walls and crowded with Quechua-speaking descendants of the Incas. The project itself is located in the UNESCO World Heritage site, Manu Biosphere Reserve. It is situated in the foothills of the Amazon on the banks of the Alto Madre de Dios River along the Vilcamba Amboro conservation corridor. It is 30 million hectares in size ranging from southern Peru to central Bolivia. It is here in Cusco that you will complete your intensive Spanish course.
Interns spend there majority of the placement in Rainforest Alliance verified accommodation and top level research centre located in the heart of the Manu Biosphere Reserve in the Peruvian Amazon. Due to its location and facilities it is a great base for both hard work and relaxation, boasting a solar powered Internet connection, environmentally sound septic system, and gravity fed water pumps; all helping to minimise the centre’s impact on the environment and reduce its carbon footprint.
• Duration: 6 months
• Cost: £4950/$8663. Deposit of £500/$875, 50% due 4 months before placement & full payment 2 months before start date.
• Requirements: age 18+
• Location: Manu Biosphere Reserve, Peru
• Project activities: visit indigenous communities, data analysis, track animals, build infrastructure, plant seedlings, measure carbon values and implement your own project
• Working hours: Flexible working hours/day available Monday - Saturday, hours vary depending on the project work
• Project start dates: 3rd Nov 2014, 12 Jan 2015, 9th March 2015, 4th May 2015, 29th June 2015, 24th August 2015 & 19th October 2014
• Arrival day: Saturday
• Accommodation: Shared room in a forest lodge, western standard bathrooms, lounge area. On arrival you will stay in a hostel, during Spanish lessons you will be based in a homestay.
• Food: 3 meals per day including water, tea or coffee
• Airport pick-up at Cusco International Airporton a Monday
• Transport to the project site
• Training: Pre-departure pack, on-site orientation, supervised training, tropical forest ecology and fauna identification skills workshop, project induction, full day EFR first aid training provided.
• Two 4-day expeditions
• 5 days Spanish immersion
• 7-night homestay in Cusco
• Support: 24-hour support from on-site coordinators
• Airport drop off
• Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Become a volunteer in Peru and bring healt...
£ 795 ($1391) for 2 weeks
Volunteer in Peru and work on a fascinatin...
£ 795 ($1391) for 2 weeks
As part of an amazing conservation researc...
£ 1215 ($2126) for 2 weeks
Based in the prime location of a UNESCO wo...
£ 2086 ($3650) for 2 weeks