With numerous environmental threats it is vital that we fully understand the complex relationships between human populations, wildlife and the ecosystems in which they live. Right now, there is more emphasis than ever before on a holistic approach to conservation management and this internship programme delivers this. This is a skills-based placement taught over 6 months and compromising both core and vocation-specific activities, with the ultimate goal of ensuring a sustainable ecosystem to preserve the long-term potential of species diversity and indigenous life in the Amazon rainforest. By joining our internship programme you will become a member of a dynamic team of like-minded individuals working towards a sustainable future for the Amazon.
View more of Kaya's environmental conservation volunteer abroad projects around the world.
Having the extra support of an intern who understands the importance of environmental conservation and the impacts of human populations on ecosystems is beneficial to the environment and the local communities who depend on it to sustain their livelihoods. Your immersion into the project ensures that your experience will be thought provoking and challenge your own viewpoints and perspectives. Learning new skills and applying them in the Amazon is an excellent opportunity for anyone aiming to work in conservation management, or who just happens to love studying the outdoors, A great experience to impress your next employer!
• Duration: 6 months
• Cost: £4950/$8663. Deposit of £500/$875, 50% due 4 months before placement & full payment 2 months before start date.
• Requirements: age 18+
• Location: Manu Biosphere Reserve, Peru
• Project activities: visit indigenous communities, data analysis, track animals, build infrastructure, plant seedlings, measure carbon values and implement your own project
• Working hours: Flexible working hours/day available Monday - Saturday, hours vary depending on the project work
• Project availability:
24 March 2014 - 12 Sept 2014
19 May 2014 - 7 Nov 2014
14 Jul 2014 - 2 Jan 2015
8 Sept 2014 - 27 Feb 2015
• Accommodation: Shared room in a forest lodge, western standard bathrooms, lounge area. On arrival you will stay in a hostel, during Spanish lessons you will be based in a homestay.
• Food: 3 meals per day including water, tea or coffee
• Airport pick-up at Cusco International Airport on a Monday
• Training: Pre-departure pack, on-site orientation, supervised training, tropical forest ecology and fauna identification skills workshop, project induction, full day EFR first aid training provided.
• Two 4-day expeditions
• 5 days Spanish immersion
• 7-night homestay in Cusco
• Support: 24-hour support from on- site coordinators
• Airport Drop off
• Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Volunteer in Peru and support young mother...
£ 1000 ($1750) for 3 weeks
Volunteer in Peru and work on a fascinatin...
£ 855 ($1496) for 2 weeks
Based in the prime location of a UNESCO wo...
£ 2230 ($3903) for 2 weeks
Become a volunteer in Peru and bring healt...
£ 855 ($1496) for 2 weeks
As part of an amazing conservation researc...
£ 1230 ($2153) for 2 weeks