Volunteer in Ecuador and assist teachers at a child care centre in an indigenous community giving children, age two to five, the tools, skills, and confidence they need to get a head start to success in elementary school. Lunch is provided to ensure that the children have the energy to learn. In the afternoons, the facility is converted into a learning centre for children aged 5 to 16 to provide academic tutoring and mentoring along with other after school activities, including sports, theatre, music, arts, dance. The centre also hosts organic gardens which provide a sustainable source of vegetables for children and the elderly in the community.
Children from Indigenous communities often have problems associated with living in disadvantaged situations and lack access opportunities to creative outlets and projects. Education and youth mentoring initiatives like these offered by the project are central to providing children with creative and academic outlets for their potential. The presence of volunteers and their contributions to youth development can really make a difference to the lives of these children.
You will live and work in the indigenous community of Lumbisi which is the ideal place to immerse yourself in the day to day life of a traditional and picturesque Andean village, from typical food to communal festivals while remaining near enough to access the culture, amenities and nightlife of historic Quito, just 30 minutes away by bus.
Quito itself is surrounded by natural beauty, by the mountains ringing the city, some volcanic, some with white capped peaks, lushly forested hills and a fertile valley. Long before the Spanish arrived, Quito was a busy place. It was a major Inca city and was destroyed by the Incas in a scorched earth policy that only briefly halted the Spanish invasion. Sebastián de Benalcázar recognised the city's location and founded San Francisco de Quito on top of the few ruins left him. It was founded in December 6, 1534, and this is celebrated annually with the Fiestas de Quito. In 1978 Quito was named a world heritage site. It has wonderful museums, arts and other places of interest to keep you busy in you free time.
There is plenty for you to do outside of your project. Explore the museums with their exhibits made of gold, bone and ceramics or simply sit in a cafe soaking up the atmosphere. Alternatively explore the craft stalls and markets and buy scarves, ceramics, rugs or handicrafts on offer. At night-time enjoy the music and dancing which is common in this city.
• Duration: 2 - 12 weeks
• Cost: £895 ($1566) for 2 weeks, £165 ($289) for each week thereafter
• Requirements: Age 18+
• Location: Lumbisi, Ecuador
• Project activities: Assist teachers with education and recreation activities, tutor and mentor the older children, prepare and serve lunch to children and the elderly, help in the organic garden.
• Working Hours: Monday-Friday 08.00 - 16.30
• Project availability: September - May school year with Summer Camps June - August
• Project starts on a Tuesday
• Accommodation: private room in homestay with local family
• Food: 3 meals a day
• Airport pick up on Saturday
• Training: Pre-departure preparation pack, on-site orientation on Sunday and project induction provided
• Support: On-site coordinator providing 24 hour support
• Local SIM card: All volunteers are given a local SIM card to use in their mobile phones. The network of the SIM is CORDA and your phone must be unlocked to be able to use it
• Activities: Staff help organise evening and weekend activities
• Airport Drop Off
• Optional 6 hrs per week Spanish classes available; £50 / $88 for 6 hours (alongside your placement)
• Police background check: US and UK citizens processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Founded in 2006 in partnership with a loca...
£ 935 ($1636) for 2 weeks
Founded in 1985 with its original conserva...
£ 1110 ($1943) for 3 weeks
Become a volunteer in Ecuador and work in ...
£ 895 ($1566) for 2 weeks
The original goal of this project was to f...
£ 1025 ($1794) for 2 weeks
Volunteer on the Ecuador Coast and get inv...
£ 1285 ($2249) for 4 weeks