Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in public hospitals and clinics that serve the local citizens, regardless of their income. Free public hospitals and clinics are typically underfunded, understaffed and struggling to meet the needs of everyone they care for. Help is needed in all aspects of the running of the clinics, from basic nursing care to surgeries. Interns will gain valuable clinical experience, which will look great for future employers, and you’ll be providing valuable help where it is needed most. If you are a pre-med student looking for experience to help you get a feel for clinical work overseas before you start medical school and want to be involved in a formalised appraisal system to help with university credit, rotation and placement requirements, this is a great formal programme that allows you to achieve this. You will work alongside a local qualified doctor who will mentor you during your stay. If you do have focus in a specific area of medicine, then please let us know and we will place you in line with that. This elective is designed to provide hands on experience to students prior to graduating.
View more of Kaya's health and medical volunteer abroad projects around the world.
The local hospital will benefit from additional pairs of hands when interns work alongside locally qualified doctors and medical staff. Medical students can get unique and valuable hands-on experience working with patients from communities in a developing country, and the practitioners will support and asses your work to feedback to your school body. It is a great opportunity for you to develop your CV/Resume.
• Duration: 2 - 26 weeks
• Cost: £1190/$2083 for 2 weeks, £380/$665 for each additional week. Please note a deposit of £250 / $438 is required to secure your placement
• Requirements: age 18+
• Location: San Ignacio, Belize
• Project activities: Dependent on level of experience. May include observation, taking vitals or possibly minor surgery.
• Working hours: 6-8 hours per day, Monday - Friday
• Project availability: starting on the first or third Saturday of each month.
• Arrival day: Saturday
• At least 2 months advance booking
required to participate in this project.
• Accommodation: Single or shared room in a homestay (according to availability)
• Airport pick up and drop off at Belize City International Airport
• Training: Orientation and project induction provided
• Support: 24 hour support
• Excursions each weekend
• Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
• Excursions in additional weeks
Become a volunteer in Belize and bring muc...
£ 2580 ($4515) for 8 weeks
Volunteer within the Belizean school syste...
£ 1050 ($1838) for 2 weeks
Volunteer in Belize on and not only help w...
£ 1535 ($2686) for 2 weeks
Building work can be some of the most rewa...
£ 1260 ($2206) for 2 weeks
Work in tandem with local schools to suppo...
£ 1560 ($2730) for 4 weeks