Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in public hospitals and clinics that serve the citizens of Belize, regardless of income. You will gain valuable clinical experience, which will look great for future employers, and you’ll be providing valuable help where it is needed most. If you are a pre-med student looking for experience to help you get a feel for clinical work overseas before you start medical school and want to be involved in a formalised appraisal system to help with university credit, rotation and placement requirements, this is a great formal programme that allows you to achieve this. You will work alongside a local qualified doctor who will mentor you during your stay. If you do have focus in a specific area of medicine, then please let us know and we will place you in line with that. This elective is designed to provide hands on experience to students prior to graduating.
Interns will receive weekend excursions to local Mayan sites and adventure activities for their 6 week duration.
View more of Kaya's health and medical volunteer abroad projects around the world.
Free public hospitals and clinics are typically underfunded, understaffed and struggling to meet the needs of everyone they care for. Help is needed in all aspects of the running of the clinics, from basic nursing care to surgeries. Volunteers with any sort of medical or health-care background or knowledge are highly valuable. Medical students can get unique and valuable hands-on experience working with patients from communities in a developing country, and the practitioners will support and assess your work to feedback to your school body.
Those with specialist skills can be placed as required in areas including: Urology, Gynaecology, Dermatology, Pharmacy, dentistry, ER, mobile clinics and General Practitioners.
Kaya's medical elective programmes is based in San Ignacio and the surrounding communities. San Ignacio, referred to locally as Cayo, is 2 hours from Belize City along the Western Highway. It is a tourist centre and market town. The town and the surrounding communities contain a diverse mix of creole, Maya and mestizo populations. Set among pleasant tropical hills it is a lovely location for volunteering. During your free time explore the local Mayan ruins or for those feeling a little more adventurous why not try your hands at cave tubing or horse-riding.
• Duration: 2 - 26 weeks
• Cost: £1150/$2013 for 2 weeks, £375/$657 for each additional week. Please note that a deposit of £250 is required to secure your placement.
• Requirements: age 18+
• Location: San Ignacio, Belize
• Project activities: Dependent on level of experience. May include observation, taking vitals or possibly minor surgery.
• Working hours: 6-8 hours per day, Monday - Friday
• Project availability: starting on the ﬁrst or third Saturday of each month.
• Arrival day: Saturday
• At least 2 months advance booking required to participate in this project.
• Accommodation: Single or shared room in a homestay (according to availability)
• Airport pick up and drop off at Punta Gorda Airport
• Training: Orientation and project induction provided
• Support: 24 hour support
• Excursions each weekend
• Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
• Excursions in additional weeks
Volunteer in Belize this Spring Break and ...
£ 835 ($1461) for 1 week
Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in pub...
£ 975 ($1707) for 2 weeks
Based on a tiny private island in the Sapo...
£ 1510 ($2643) for 2 weeks
Building work can be some of the most rewa...
£ 1260 ($2206) for 2 weeks
Volunteer abroad and contribute to the the...
£ 1405 ($2459) for 4 weeks