Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in public hospitals and clinics that serve the local citizens, regardless of their income. Free public hospitals and clinics are typically underfunded, understaffed and struggling to meet the needs of everyone they care for. Help is needed in all aspects of the running of the clinics, from basic nursing care to surgeries. Interns will gain valuable clinical experience, which will look great for future employers, and you’ll be providing valuable help where it is needed most. If you are a pre-med student looking for experience to help you get a feel for clinical work overseas before you start medical school and want to be involved in a formalised appraisal system to help with university credit, rotation and placement requirements, this is a great formal programme that allows you to achieve this. You will work alongside a local qualified doctor who will mentor you during your stay. If you do have focus in a specific area of medicine, then please let us know and we will place you in line with that. This elective is designed to provide hands on experience to students prior to graduating.
View more of Kaya's health and medical volunteer abroad projects around the world.
Why choose this project?
The local hospital will benefit from additional pairs of hands when interns work alongside locally qualified doctors and medical staff. Medical students can get unique and valuable hands-on experience working with patients from communities in a developing country, and the practitioners will support and asses your work to feedback to your school body. It is a great opportunity for you to develop your CV/Resume.
• Duration: 6 - 26 weeks
• Cost: £3685/$6449 for 6 weeks, £555/$971 for each additional week. Please note a deposit of £250 / $438 is required to secure your placement
• Requirements: age 18+
• Location: San Ignacio, Belize
• Project activities: Dependent on level of experience. May include observation, taking vitals or possibly minor surgery.
• Working hours: 6-8 hours per day, Monday - Friday
• Project availability: starting on the first or third Saturday of each month.
• Arrival day: Saturday
• At least 2 months advance booking
required to participate in this project.
What is included
• Accommodation: shared room in volunteer accommodation with access to a pool table and a bar. Some single rooms are available for an additional fee.
• Food: 3 meals per day; light breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and a cooked evening meal. Volunteers take it in turns once a week preparing something from their own country
• Training: Healthcare ethics & culture doc, pre-departure info pack, learning reflection manual, on-site orientation and project induction provided
• Support: 24 hour support
• Excursions planning for each weekend
What is not included
• Air conditioning is available for an additional cost of $10 per day per room
• Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
• Excursions in additional weeks