Volunteer in Zimbabwe and work on a project that brings together a number of small community initiatives in the town of Victoria Falls. Following the political upheaval of the past decade, the people of Zimbabwe are beginning to look to building a better future. Though the country is stabilising, there is no money to support schools, orphanages and community initiatives. This placement centres round a wonderful orphanage which was founded in 2007 by a local woman who wanted to make a real difference by offering shelter and a safe environment to a small number of children, from babies through to 16 year olds. The care focuses on providing support and care for children from all sorts of backgrounds including those who require additional economic and psychosocial support due to homelessness, physical disabilities, sexual abuse, poverty and parent mortality.
This placement also supports a local primary school which is run by an incredibly dedicated set of staff members who work tirelessly to provide the best support that they can for the local children with limited resources and funding. Additional community assistance involves working with the elderly and assisting with watering, planting and harvesting on the garden projects. You may also visit the African Lion Rehabilitation and Release Program where you will have the opportunity to walk with lions as they undertake their pre-release training. This is a fantastic placement that covers a range of essential services key to this lovely Zimbabwean community.
View more of Kaya's teaching and education volunteer abroad projects around the world.
At this time there is a desperate need for volunteer help in the community. This placement brings together some of the most needy areas in the region that need your support. Hands on help is needed with the children and the elderly are often neglected and spending time and there is little spare time for people to spend with the so your time and attention will be much appreciated.
The project is located in Victoria Falls town; a stone’s throw away from the magnificent thundering waters of the world renowned Falls. Victoria Falls is actually a bustling tourist town and has a range of craft shops, bars and restaurants. The accommodation is quiet and peaceful which you can make your home during your stay in Zimbabwe. There is a bar side seating area in the resaurant where you can relax at the end of the day. At the camp site there is a braai area and swimming pool, where you will be able to take a much need swim at the end of your project working day.
• Duration: 2-4 weeks
• Cost: £1050/$1838, £225/$394 for each extra week
• Requirements: Age 17+
• Location: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
• Project activities: Provide assistance to teachers, support children who need extra help, spend time with the elderly, walk lions, gardening
• Working Hours: 07.00-17.00 Monday to Friday, Saturdays at the Lion Rehabilitation Centre or orphanage
• Project availability: Projects start 1st and 3rd Monday. Schools are closed in April, August and December but there will still be plenty for you to do.
• Arrival day: Monday
• Accommodation: Shared room in a an adventure lodge.
• Food: 3 Meals a day
• Regular laundry service
• Airport pick up and drop off from Victoria Falls International Airport
• Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation and project induction provided
• Daily transfers to and from your project.
• Support: On-site coordinator providing 24 hour support
• Activities: Staff help organise weekend activities. (Activity price may be extra) Trips include; Adrenaline sports at Victoria Falls, visits to game reserves and trips to nearby Botswana.
• Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
See the real Africa by volunteering in Zim...
£ 1355 ($2371) for 2 weeks
Get up-close and personal with a host of a...
£ 1000 ($1750) for 2 weeks
Join this volunteer placement in Zimbabwe ...
£ 1290 ($2258) for 3 weeks
Volunteering at this wildlife sanctuary in...
£ 1800 ($3150) for 2 weeks
Volunteer in Zimbabwe on a world first lio...
£ 1450 ($2537) for 2 weeks