Teaching and Community Assistance in Victoria Falls
Volunteer in Zimbabwe and work on a project that brings together a number of small community initiatives in the town of Victoria Falls. Following the political upheaval of the past decade, the people of Zimbabwe are beginning to look to building a better future. Though the country is stabilising, there is no money to support schools, orphanages and community initiatives. This placement centres round a wonderful orphanage which was founded in 2007 by a local woman who wanted to make a real difference by offering shelter and a safe environment to a small number of children, from babies through to 16 year olds. The care focuses on providing support and care for children from all sorts of backgrounds including those who require additional economic and psychosocial support due to homelessness, physical disabilities, sexual abuse, poverty and parent mortality.
This placement also supports a local primary school which is run by an incredibly dedicated set of staff members who work tirelessly to provide the best support that they can for the local children with limited resources and funding. Additional community assistance involves working with the elderly and assisting with watering, planting and harvesting on the garden projects. You may also visit the African Lion Rehabilitation and Release Program where you will have the opportunity to walk with lions as they undertake their pre-release training. This is a fantastic placement that covers a range of essential services key to this lovely Zimbabwean community.
View more of Kaya's teaching and education volunteer abroad projects around the world.
Why choose this project?
At this time there is a desperate need for volunteer help in the community. This placement brings together some of the most needy areas in the region that need your support. Hands on help is needed with the children and the elderly are often neglected and spending time and there is little spare time for people to spend with the so your time and attention will be much appreciated.
• Duration: 2-4 weeks
• Cost: £1140 / $1995 for 2 weeks, £245 / $429 for each extra week
• Requirements: Age 17+
• Location: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
• Project activities: Provide assistance to teachers, give much needed attention to abused children, help in gardens, read to the elderly, walk lions
• Working Hours: 07.30-17.00 Monday to Friday, Saturdays at the Lion Rehabilitation Centre
• Project availability: Projects start 1st and 3rd Monday. Schools are closed between September - early December but there will still be plenty for you to do.
• Arrival day: Monday
What is included
• Accommodation: Shared room in a twin room with ensuite in a lodge with a bbq and pool area.
• Food: 3 Meals a day
• Weekly laundry service
• Airport pick up and drop off from Victoria Falls International Airport
• Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation and project induction provided
• Daily transfers to and from your project.
• Support: On-site coordinator providing 24 hour support
• Activities: Staff help organise weekend activities. (Activity price may be extra) Trips include; Adrenaline sports at Victoria Falls, visits to game reserves and trips to nearby Botswana.
What is not included
• Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.