Teaching and Community Assistance in Victoria Falls
Volunteer in Zimbabwe and work on a project that brings together a number of small community initiatives in the town of Victoria Falls to benefit the most vulnerable in the community. Following the political upheaval of the past, the people of Zimbabwe are beginning to look to building a better future. Though the country is stabilising, there is no money to support schools, orphanages and community initiatives. This means staff are overstretched and under supported and with class sizes average 55 so providing individual support to students is challenging.
This placement focuses on an orphanage which was founded in 2007 by a local woman who wanted to offer shelter and a safe environment to a number of children, from babies through to 16 year olds who had no families to support them. The centre focuses on providing support and care for children from all sorts of backgrounds including those who require additional economic and psychosocial support due to homelessness, physical disabilities, sexual abuse, poverty and parent mortality. Refurbishment of the home and assisting with the vegetable gardens is an important aspect of the support given. Also, the project supports a local primary school which is run by an incredibly dedicated set of staff members who work tirelessly to provide the best support that they can for the local children with limited resources and funding. Volunteer with us and support the initiatives aimed to support the most vulnerable in this lovely Zimbabwean community.
View more of Kaya's teaching and education volunteer abroad projects around the world.
Why choose this project?
At this time there is a desperate need for volunteer help in the community. This placement brings together some of the most needy areas in the region that need your support. Hands on help is needed with the children, as people have little spare time, so your attention will be much appreciated. You will benefit by gaining a first had insight into the impact of political unrest and poverty, increasing your understanding as a global citizen. If you are studying education or child development this project will give you an insight into the challenges facing resource poor settings.
• Duration: 2-4 weeks
• Cost: £1080 / $1890 for 2 weeks,
£250 / $438 for each extra week
• Requirements: Age 17+
• Location: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
• Project activities: Provide assistance to teachers, give much needed attention to abused children, help in gardens, lion conservation work
• Working Hours: 07.30-17.00 Monday to Friday, Saturdays at the Lion Rehabilitation Centre and other projects
• Project availability: Projects start every 2nd Monday. Schools are closed between September - early December but there will still be plenty for you to do.
• Arrival day: Monday
What is included
• Accommodation: Shared room in a twin room with ensuite in a lodge with a bbq and pool area.
• Food: 3 Meals a day
• Weekly laundry service
• Airport pick up and drop off from Victoria Falls International Airport
• Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation and project induction provided
• Daily transfers to and from your project.
• Support: On-site coordinator providing 24 hour support
• Activities: Staff help organise weekend activities. (Activity price may be extra) Trips include; Adrenaline sports at Victoria Falls, visits to game reserves and trips to nearby Botswana.
What is not included
• Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.