Volunteer in a Children’s Centre in La Paz
Volunteer in a Children’s Centre in Bolivia managed entirely by local families from a small community. Opened in 2004, the aim of the centre founders was to establish a community nursery near La Paz, where children could learn through play and creativity. Primarily providing a safe environment for 90 underprivileged children, including 25 aged 6 months to 4 years old, the centre also enables mothers to take up employment opportunities. The project is run by 10 locally trained women known to the children as “Tias”. Following the initial success of the Children’s centre, an after-school club has also been established for children aged 7-12 years. Children from impoverished backgrounds are able to attend a homework club and spend the last hour of the day enjoying creative time. The Children’s Centre near La Paz aims to provide a safe and happy integrated childcare programme for the local community.
View more of Kaya's volunteer abroad projects working with children around the world.
Why choose this project?
Volunteers bring enthusiasm, ideas, and an extra pair of hands to the Children’s Center. Some of the children have special education needs, meaning more time is needed for them which cannot always be afforded by the busy staff. Your involvement benefits the project because it means that the Tias are able to run a wider range of activities for all of the children, which is great for the kids and for you as you will be involved in bringing much joy to the children’s day. Those volunteers with experience in early childhood education or special education can help to develop the teaching skills of the Tias and other staff. This is an excellent project for anyone practicing in early childhood education or who would like to gain from experience working in an intercultural setting.
• Duration: 4-12 weeks
• Cost: £920/$1610 for 4 weeks, £525/$919 each extra 4 weeks.
• Requirements: Age 18+
• Location: La Paz, Bolivia.
• Project Activities: working within a school, preparing lunch, preparing activities and lessons, fundraising activities, maintaining the website
• Working Hours: Monday-Friday (Flexible)
• Project Availability: 1st, 3rd week of each month
• Arrival day: Monday
What is included
• Accommodation: shared room in a volunteer house, dvd
• Internet (fee split between volunteers)
• Food: not included
• Airport pick up from El Alto or bus station in La Paz
• Training: pre-departure information, Orientation and project induction provided
• Support: 24 hour support
• Excursion Planning: staff help organise weekend activities. (Activity price may be extra)
What is not included
• Daily Transport to and from your project
• Optional Spanish classes are available for individuals/groups
• Police background check: US and UK citizens processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.