Join our climate change internship in Vietnam and learn about the technologies being used to address climate change and resource depletion. You will be based at a non-profit, non-governmental organisation or social enterprise that works on a range of projects. Topics include: sustainable agriculture, rural livelihoods, climate change adaptation, forestry governance, research and pro-poor policy advocacy. The organisations often work with national CSO networks and will be involved in policy forums. The focus of the internship is to improve the abilities of poor communities in Vietnam to develop sustainable livelihoods by adapting to climate change. Project activities will include helping communities to benefit from reducing emissions caused by deforestation and forest degradation; and, overall, educating communities on sustainably managing their forests. Join this climate change internship in Vietnam and play a part in local and global change.
Why choose this project?
Not only will you gain hands-on experience to support your studies, you will also understand how climate change is being addressed globally. Vietnam is a fast-changing country, where undeniable challenges have arisen, such as pollution and resource depletion. The organisations benefit by having bright, motivated interns who are able to push forward project materials and advocacy.
Your internship will be shaped by the project priorities and activities at the time of your placement. It may include:
- Assisting with development of project concept notes and proposals to support short- and long-term climate change strategy
- Assisting with writing and editing website content, newsletter articles and reports relating to climate change, forest management and environmental fields
- Supporting the development, management and implementation of climate change projects, including undertaking needs/vulnerability assessments and conducting baseline surveys
- Training local staff
- Participating in other related activities of the organization and engage/liaise with partners through climate change networks
You may be asked to do other research and administrative tasks as part of your role. Interns will need to produce an end of placement report or presentation to reflect on your learning and share recommendations with the local project team. It is recommended that you bring a laptop with you to enable you to do this and other project activities.
If you are studying or have experience in environmental science, renewable energy or climate change, this is an excellent placement for you. NGOs are looking for interns who are passionate, highly motivated and able to use their initiative. You will be working with a team, so good communication and team working competencies are important. You will need to send your CV/resume to highlight your skills, experience and interests before being accepted onto this internship.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To learn about the way that local challenges relating to climate change are being approached
Because you believe that climate change interventions are a priority and want to take practical action
To understand how your actions at home can impact other destinations
Staying in either a shared studio apartment, homestay or an independent room in an apartment, you will be located in the bustling city of Ho Chi Minh. This southern city is filled with treasures new and old, such as art galleries, museums, temples, restaurants, food stalls and an abundance of motorbikes! During the weekends, head further afield to the world famous Chu Chi Tunnels. For the more adventurous, visit Nha Trang and learn to dive! Or, head to the beautiful Hoi An where local workers can make you an outfit in 24 hours.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 8 to 24 weeks. Minimum of 8 weeks recommended to have better chances to find a placement and get the most out of the experience
- Cost: £3174 / $4955 for 8 weeks
£199 / $310 for each extra week
(A total deposit of £550 / $880 is required to secure your space on this specific placement)
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, Vietnam
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week
- Project availability: All year round apart, intern activities differ during Lunar New Year (23-29 Jan 2020)
- Arrival day: First and Third Thursdays of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: individual studio or individual room in shared apartment with 3 other students/young professional.
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Ho Chi Minh International Airport
- Training: pre-departure pack, pre-departure & on-site orientation including cultural awareness & learning reflection document
- A local buddy
- Local phone with Vietnamese SIM
- Project certificate on completion of the final presentation
- 24-hour support
- City tour:
- cultural excursion (for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta)
- departure meal
- Visa processing fee and guidance
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Transfers to and from your placement
- Electricity bills
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Combine study abroad and volunteering for a semester in Vietnam
Join this NGO Business Internship in Vietnam and develop your business knowledge by working with local community projects.
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Medical and Healthcare Internship in Vietnam
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Occupational Therapy Internship in Vietnam at a recovery centre