Join our climate change internship in Vietnam and learn about the technologies being used to address climate change and resource depletion. You will be based at a non-profit, non-governmental organisation or social enterprise that works on a range of projects. Topics include: sustainable agriculture, rural livelihoods, climate change adaptation, forestry governance, research and pro-poor policy advocacy. The organisations often work with national CSO networks and will be involved in policy forums. The focus of the internship is to improve the abilities of poor communities in Vietnam to develop sustainable livelihoods by adapting to climate change. Project activities will include helping communities to benefit from reducing emissions caused by deforestation and forest degradation; and, overall, educating communities on sustainably managing their forests. Join this climate change internship in Vietnam and play a part in local and global change.
Why choose this project?
Not only will you gain hands-on experience to support your studies, you will also understand how climate change is being addressed globally. Vietnam is a fast-changing country, where undeniable challenges have arisen, such as pollution and resource depletion. The organisations benefit by having bright, motivated interns who are able to push forward project materials and advocacy.
Your internship will be shaped by the project priorities and activities at the time of your placement. It may include:
- Assisting with development of project concept notes and proposals to support short- and long-term climate change strategy
- Assisting with writing and editing website content, newsletter articles and reports relating to climate change, forest management and environmental fields
- Supporting the development, management and implementation of climate change projects, including undertaking needs/vulnerability assessments and conducting baseline surveys
- Training local staff
- Participating in other related activities of the organization and engage/liaise with partners through climate change networks
You may be asked to do other research and administrative tasks as part of your role. Interns will need to produce an end of placement report or presentation to reflect on your learning and share recommendations with the local project team. It is recommended that you bring a laptop with you to enable you to do this and other project activities.
If you are studying or have experience in environmental science, renewable energy or climate change, this is an excellent placement for you. NGOs are looking for interns who are passionate, highly motivated and able to use their initiative. You will be working with a team, so good communication and team working competencies are important. You will need to send your CV/resume to highlight your skills, experience and interests before being accepted onto this internship.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To learn about the way that local challenges relating to climate change are being approached
Because you believe that climate change interventions are a priority and want to take practical action
To understand how your actions at home can impact other destinations
Staying in either a homestay or apartment, you will be located in the bustling city of Ho Chi Minh. This southern city is filled with treasures new and old, such as art galleries, museums, temples, restaurants, food stalls and an abundance of motorbikes! During the weekends, head further afield to the world famous Chu Chi Tunnels. For the more adventurous, visit Nha Trang and learn to dive! Or, head to the beautiful Hoi An where local workers can make you an outfit in 24 hours.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4 – 12 weeks, longer terms available
Minimum of 8 weeks recommended to have better chances to find a placement and get the most experience
- Cost: £1950 / $3412 for 4 weeks
£282 / $494 for each extra 2 weeks
(A deposit of £565 / $989 is required to secure your space)
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City or, and some regional placements in Vietnam
- Project activities: developing project concept notes, marketing, needs assessments & baseline surveys, training local staff
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week
- Project Availability: all year round, apart from mid-January to mid-February due to Lunar New Year Celebrations
- Arrival day: First and Third Thursdays of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: room in a studio apartment with cooking facilities & ensuite, common room with TV. Or, live with a homestay family with your own room and a shared living space & bathroom.
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Ho Chi Minh International Airport
- Meals: breakfast & dinner (only if staying at a homestay)
- Training: pre-departure pack, pre-departure & on-site orientation, including cultural awareness & learning reflection document
- 24-hour support
- A local buddy
- Local phone with Vietnamese SIM
- Project certificate on completion of the final presentation
- City tour, cultural excursion(for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta), welcome and departure meal
- Excursions: Staff will help plan cultural visits (activity prices will be extra)
- Visa process guidance
- Certificate on completion of internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Visa fees
- Transfers to and from your placement
- Electricity bills (for studio apartments only)
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
SPEAK TO A PLACEMENT ADVISOR
Contact us through the website, via email or phone. Our experienced staff are ready to help.
Apply online and pay your project security deposit. Our advisers will then contact you to guide you through the final steps.
REVIEW PROJECT DOCUMENTATION
Once you have applied we will send you more information and details about your project
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourseleves on providing you high quality project information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.