Grab the opportunity during your gap year travels and spend some of your time volunteering on a range of fascinating community projects in India, Thailand and the Philippines. By choosing our community volunteering route not only can you take the opportunity to visit some amazing places but also immerse yourself in local culture and help the communities in which you will be living. It’s a truly fantastic opportunity to take your gap year beyond the normal travel experiences.
Begin your gap year by travelling to India and select one of three locations; the hills of Himachal, the hustle and bustle of Jaipur or the beaches of Goa. Take in the country’s amazing culture and all the sites and sounds whilst volunteering. You can chose a number of options and even combine some so pick from working on women’s empowerment, childcare or teaching placements. All work with slum areas and poorer disadvantaged communities so you will really get to the heart of India’s people.
Next head to Thailand to volunteer on our grass roots community and conservation initiative based in rural Chiang Mai. The project aims to support the local government in developing basic healthcare provision, education, a community based agroforestry project and ultimately to reduce poverty to the members of the community including ethnic Thais, Hmong, Lahu Lisu and Karen peoples. Volunteers can really make an impact by sharing their skills or by lending a hand to aid development of community services in this culturally and geographically rich Thai province.
Finally, head to the Philippines where you will be welcomed with open arms. Tacloban was one of the communities hit by Typhoon Haiyan in 2013. Communities have been focusing their efforts of rebuilding and the city has rebuilt and repaired many of its structures, although many will not be replaced. Join us and participate in a community nutrition project, helping to make and distribute nutritious meals, assist carers at a childcare centre or if you have the skills and interest help in rural clinics. Whatever your interest, you are sure to gain an amazing insight into different cultures in Asia and the community initiatives taking place to support them.
Gap Year Travel Packages
Choose 1 project from each of the 3 destinations and you will spend 4 weeks volunteering on each project;
Volunteer in Nepal and empower Nepalese women through sustainable agriculture, providing them with the ability to support themselves and their children.
Volunteer on this community and conservation project on health, the environmental and education initiatives.
Role of the volunteer
As a volunteer your role will depend on the needs of the project and your skill set. In India volunteers may be responsible for planning and leading classes for adults and children, running awareness sessions covering basic hygiene or playing games. In Thailand volunteers may get involved in a variety of activities including environmental conservation, community health awareness and education support. In the Philippines volunteers may be involved in preparing and delivering meals to poorer communities, assisting with the daily care of young children or helping nurses in rural clinics with paperwork and general clinic duties, if their skills permit.
Volunteers with all levels of experience are welcome to join us on these projects. Specific skills the projects are looking for:
- India – teachers, childcare workers and volunteers with experience of special needs support are highly sought after, however, no skills or experience are required.
- Thailand – an ability to be flexible and help where the project needs it, team work and people skills are required.
- Philippines – volunteers should have a positive attitude and be able to work as part of a team
All volunteers are asked to submit a copy of their CV/Resume
Use your community gap year to explore three distinctly different but equally wondrous Asian cultures. In India you’ll head to one of 3 destinations ,depending on your interests and availability at the time of your booking. Jaipur, the pink city, has a fascinating market to explore and is overlooked by the stunning fort, Goa has the beaches and is a good point to explore Mumbai on a weekend, and Himachal has the stunning mountains and tea plantations. There are plenty of opportunities for independent travel including trips to the Taj Mahal, Pushkar for a camel safari or Mumbai to see Bollywood. In Thailand travel to gorgeous national parks, go trekking through the jungle and island hopping in search of your own piece of undiscovered paradise . In the Philippines spend your weekends heading to the beaches where you can learn to dive. This Asian experience is sure to tantalise all of your senses and show you the diverse range of people, cultures and landscapes on this fascinating continent.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 12 weeks (4 in each location) at specified times during your gap year
- Cost: £3315 / $5801 for 12 weeks
4 weeks spent in each location
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Jaipur, Himachal or Goa in India, Chiang Mai – Thailand, Tacloban, Philippines
- Project activities: English lessons, workshops and games, environmental, environmental conservation, building, chopping vegetables or dealing with patient notes
- Working hours: Varies from project, Monday – Friday in all locations
- Project availability: All year around.
- Arrival day: Monday – India, Thailand – Saturday, Philippines – Saturday
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room in a volunteer house in India, guest house during orientation followed by home-stay in Thailand, home-stay in the Philippines
- Food: 3 meals per day in India and Thailand, 2 meals per day in the Philippines
- Airport pick up and drop off from: destination airport in India, Chiang Mai airport in Thailand, Tacloban airport in the Philippines
- Training: Pre-departure pack, on-site orientation and project induction in all locations
- Support: 24 hour in each location
- 24/7 emergency number for volunteers and families
- Transport to and from your project each day in India
What is not included
- Flights & connecting flights
- Visas for each country
- Transfers to your project site in the Philippines
- Police background check: US and UK citizens processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
SPEAK TO A PLACEMENT ADVISOR
Contact us through the website, via email or phone. Our experienced staff are ready to help.
Apply online and pay your project security deposit. Our advisers will then contact you to guide you through the final steps.
REVIEW PROJECT DOCUMENTATION
Once you have applied we will send you more information and details about your project
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourseleves on providing you high quality project information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.