Are you a student or recent graduate with an interest in healthcare? Then we might have what you are looking for! This placement is suitable for students and recent graduates in the fields of dentistry, nursing, medical, radiology, podiatry, pharmacy, psychology or physical therapy. You will be placed in a hospital, a clinic or a medical centre in a shadowing capacity amongst an accredited international medical team.
Depending on your field of study and interest, you have the option to be a patient service intern or a pharmacy intern:
- Patient service intern will have the opportunity to be placed in an international standard hospital where patients and family-centered services come first. You will be observing international and multilingual staff providing the highest standard of healthcare in China.
- Pharmacy intern will be exposed to outpatient pharmacy practices in China. The intern will have the opportunity to participate in hospital meetings and pharmacy department meetings, as well as assist in preparing the reports for the meetings. The intern will also be exposed to prescription handling, drug store management, regulatory issues, ethical issues and overall pharmaceutical care. The intern will also assist with the development of educational materials for patients.
Why choose this project?
- Contribute to the local placement by providing an extra pair of hands.
- Gain hospital experience in China to add to your CV/Resume in your field of study.
- Work within a multicultural team and befriend fellow Chinese coworkers while expanding your professional network.
Role of the volunteer
Obviously, your role will differ depending on your field of expertise, but you will be responsible for assisting with the delivery of high-quality service to patients, while interacting with them, and updating their services book. You will be involved in different patient experience projects including updating patient services handbooks, shadowing nurses and doctors in your field of studies and being involved in a hospital life in China.
You are required to have a good level of the English language, as well as excellent communication skills. To succeed with this placement, you need to be organised and be a good problem solver. Hospital knowledge would be preferable. All applicants should have a good attitude, open mind and willingness to learn.
All applicants will be expected to complete and submit paperwork in line with a tight schedule and the application process includes a Skype interview as well as submission of a full CV/Resume plus any supporting documentation. Interns should be in good health and are required to complete a Physical Examination Record for Foreigners.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To gain an understanding of Chinese healthcare system
To complement your studies with real-life work experience
To learn a new culture and new language
About the Location
China is the fourth largest country in the world with a total population of 1.37 billion as of 2014. Due to its enormous size, the climate is very diverse depending on the region you are visiting. You will either be based in Beijing or Shanghai.
Beijing is the capital city of China, serving as a major transportation hub and port of entry for the north of China. Beijing is one of the six ancient city and a very popular travel destination for both Chinese tourists and international visitors.
Known as the financial capital of China, there is no shortages of interesting things to do. It’s very multicultural and modern while remaining very traditional. An interesting mix that any intern will have the chance to enjoy.
You will be lodged in an apartment with your own private bedroom sharing a bathroom and living area with other interns or Chinese professionals. The apartment has easy access to local transport and is located in a secure high rise building. Supermarkets, gyms, restaurants and shops are all easy to access. The apartment is air-conditioned with central heating. You will also be provided with bed linens. And the kitchen is standard with microwave, fridge and utensils.
What to do in your spare time
You will have plenty of time to explore the country during your free time. Some of the local must-sees include the Great Wall of China, the 798 Art District, the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, the Olympic Park, ad the National Museum of China. You also have plenty of choices if you want to do some shopping with a variety of markets and outlets. We recommend you check out Alien’s Street Market. You can find there clothes, coats and belts for a fair price. The Maliando Tea Makes is also a neat please to visit to taste a huge range of teas.
Shanghai has over 270 sites of interest for you to explore! Needless to say that you may not hit them all. However, one place you must visit is The Bund, one of the most famous places in Shangai consisting of 1.5 kilometres long boulevard on the Western Bank of the Huangpu River. Other popular places to visit include the Jade Buddha Temple, the Oriental Pearl Radio and TV Tower, Shanghai World Financial Centre, Yuyuan Garden. Shopping is also big in Shanghai. International brand names can be found to Nanjing Road and Huaihai Road.
- Duration: 4 weeks minimum for Pharmacy Intern
12 weeks minimum for Patient Service Intern
- Cost: £3153 / $5519 for 4 weeks (£900 $1575 deposit)
£3809 / $6665 for 6 weeks
£4422 / $7738 for 8 weeks
Prices vary depending on time commitment.
- Requirements: Age 19+
- Location: Beijing or Shanghai, China
- Working hours: M-F
8:30 – 5:30pm
20-40 hour per week
- Project availability: All year round
- Arrival day: Thursday
What is included
- Accommodation: Own room in a shared apartment with cooking facilities or nearby eateries, utility bills are included.
- Airport pick up from Beijing OR Shanghai International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, learning reflection guide, on-site orientation, cultural tour and project induction provided
- Chinese phone, SIM card & local transportation card
- Mandarin Lesson; 3 per week
- Networking and alumni contacts
- Support: 24-hour support from on-site coordinator
- Assistance with planning your weekend excursions from local staff
- Certificate on completion of your internship placement diary and presentation to the local team
What is not included
- Cleaning of the apartment
- Daily transfers to and from the project
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Experience health promotion and community development through this internship by assisting local staff with the daily challenges facing residents
Learn about the emerging field of Occupational Therapy in Morocco
Learn about the Moroccan healthcare system while shadowing medical staff at a local hospital
Gain meaningful work experience relevant to your studies or career by joining an energy and environmental sustainability internship in China.
Gain meaningful work experience in a an area relevant to your studies or potential career choice and participate in a NGO and Community Service Internship in China through Kaya.