Want to volunteer and create an impact on a local community? Join us in Ghana for a short term high impact project in the Eastern Region of Ghana. The village of Damang in Ghana’s Eastern Region suffers from low literacy rates, a shortage of infrastructure and lack of overall global education.
Farming is the major occupation of the local community. So the families live on very low resources and need all the help they can get to help raise their children. During this project, you will be contributing to the literacy improvement program reaching over 150 children. You will also help over 20 children advance their technology skills by helping them learn how to use a computer. You will help erect an additional classroom for the community as well as contribute your ideas to landscaping pitch around the school for sports development programs. Finally, you will train locals to prepare, plant and maintain a vegetable garden for the benefit of feeding a local orphanage.
Why choose this project?
If you don’t have much time on your hand, but want to help make a difference on a high impact level, this project is for you. The project involves touching the local children’s life in 4 different ways. Indeed, volunteers are needed to help the local community in the following areas: literacy and computer skills improvement for the children as many of their parents have not attended school themselves, educate the children on how to adapt to climate change through improved farming, and help develop new infrastructure including the build of a classroom.
Role of the volunteer
Volunteers will be involved in all aspects of the project for ten days. Mornings are dedicated to farming and building, and afternoons are reserved for teaching the children to read or use a computer. This is a great way to get involved with the locals and help make a difference in a short amount of time.
Volunteers’ level of English should be strong, as you will be teaching children to read and write. Your enthusiasm and passion for reading and writing will help the children learn immensely. You should also be passionate about working with children and able to work independently in some occasions. with a passion for reading and a love of books and learning should apply for this project. Those with good writing skills will also be welcomed, as grantREQUEST MORE INFO RESERVE YOUR PLACE
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To use your existing skills to assist with local efforts to improve literacy
To help improve local children computer and numerical skills
To help kickstart the building of a new classroom
Your project is based near Nsawam in the Eastern Region of Ghana, in the village of Damang. It is approximately 60 kilometres away from the airport. tour to a waterfall in Ghana’s Eastern Region. This is the perfect location to be amongst the locals in Ghana.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 10 days
- Cost: £1027 / $1798 for 10 days
Please note that a deposit of £280 / $490 is required for this project
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Damang, Eastern Region, Ghana
- Project activities: building, planting, gardening, computer classes, reading and other literacy related activities
- Working hours: 9 am – 12 pm farming or building, 2 – 5 pm teaching computers or literacy classes
- Project availability: September 2nd through the 11th, Monday through Friday on projects
- Arrival day: Saturday
What is included
- Accommodation: Dorm room for 2 – 4 people in a volunteer house, kitchen & communal areas
- Food: Communal 2-3 meals a day during weekdays
- Airport pick up from Kotoko International Airport, Accra
- Training: Pre-departure information pack and on-site orientation provided
- Support: 24-hour support from on-site coordinator
What is not included
- Airport drop off
- Transport to and from projects (Projects are within walking distance)
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- 1-2 meals during the workweek, and all meals on weekends.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.