What is the Summer Study Abroad and Service in Peru – Conservation Track all about?
Go to Peru for a summer study and service abroad with Kaya and combine studying in Cusco with volunteering in the rainforest! If you want to get ahead in your studies, earn credit while learning about conservation efforts and research the impact on the Amazon of diverse recovery initiatives, this placement is for you.
You will spend five weeks in Cusco taking classes of your choice in either English or Spanish. During your time in Cusco, you will have the opportunity to learn the Peruvian culture while living with a host family and immersing yourself in the local customs and language. You will also be located close enough to the formal capital of the Inca Empire, and therefore will have the chance to spend your weekends visiting Machu Picchu, old Inca ruins and learn about the Inca influence on Peruvian culture.
After you complete your studies, you will transfer to the Peruvian rainforest to volunteer and learn about conservation efforts. There, you will live in a sustainable community and learn about environmental conservation initiatives in the rainforest.
Why choose this Conservation Study Abroad and Service?
This is a great opportunity if you want to earn credit, while practising a second language, learning local customs and culture, and especially if you want to enter the field of environmental conservation or sustainable development. While in the rainforest, you will work alongside researchers and local experts on sustainable land management and conversation. Examples of volunteering activities include pit falling, mist netting, mammal transects, bio-gardens, agroforestry, camera traps, vegetation mapping, butterfly netting, day transects, biomass project participation and reptile surveys. This is the perfect placement for those interested in environmental sciences, sustainable development or research as it will allow you to build your skills. Also, students with an interest in species’ protection and conservation research will enjoy this placement.
Which Classes Can I take?
During your time in Cusco, you will be able to take up to 2 courses including courses related to your major, or Spanish classes, depending on your interest. Some courses are taught in Spanish or English, and you will have the opportunity to choose the language in which you want to take the classes. The classes tend to be very hands-on and include field trips and visits to local establishments to make it more of a practical hands-on training.
Classes options for the Conservation track include:
- Biodiversity of Peru (3 credits)
- Environmental Sciences (3 credits)
- Gestión Ambiental – Environmental Management (4 credits)
- Socio-environmental Conflicts (3 credits)
- Language Class* (4 credits). You have the choice to choose from Beginner Spanish, Pre-intermediary Spanish, Intermediary Spanish to Advanced Spanish
*You will be assigned a class level according to the results of your Spanish Placement Test (see more information under requirements).
If you wish to take a class other than a language class, please speak to your placement advisor, and consult the list of classes available with the conservation track here.
Following your 5 weeks of studies, you will have the opportunity to volunteer in the rainforest for a minimum of 2 weeks.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To immerse yourself in a new culture and acquire more languages skills
To get ahead in your studies while making an impact this summer
To learn about the rainforest and the impact of climate change
The requirements to join the Summer Study Abroad and Service in Peru program are:
• Minimum GPA: 2.5
• Academic Reference
• Personal Statement
• University Application Form
• Official Transcript
A Kaya representative will contact you upon application to get these materials. Shall you decide to take any Spanish classes, upon arrival, you will be required to take a Spanish placement test to be evaluated and placed accordingly.
Also, to volunteer afterwards in the Peruvian Amazon, a love of the outdoors and the ability to embrace life in the jungle are essential. The project gathers a lot of data and attention to detail is important to ensure solid results. A basic level of fitness is required to ensure volunteers are able to undertake the activities – activities require participants to walk many miles each day.
Where will I work in Peru?
About the Location
Your experience will start in Cusco – the archaeological capital of the Incas. You will be there for 5 weeks where you will study in the city and earn credits toward your diploma. Once you completed your classes, you will drive to the rainforest where your volunteering takes place. The project itself is located an 8-hour drive from the city. You will learn about the rainforest and enjoy the natural landscape of Peru at its best!
While studying in Cusco, you will be living in a homestay family giving you the opportunity to learn about Peruvian culture and customs. While in the rainforest, you will live in a comfortable eco-camp in the jungle, in purpose-built huts.
What to do in your spare time
Cusco has a lot to offer from markets to wondering the streets appreciating the mix of traditional Inca architecture mixed with colonialism, to taking the weekend to go visit Machu Picchu. While in the rainforest, you will have the chance to enjoy trekking and relaxing on the Hammocks at the eco-lodge.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 7+ weeks
- Cost: Study and Service: $5841* for 7 weeks with homestays (meals included)
*This program’s payment is only available in U.S. dollars
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Cusco, peru
- Working hours: Take two courses (up to 8 US credits) at Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola Option to make one of the classes a Spanish Language Class
- Project availability: Dates: 2 start dates available in 2020 – 18th of May (deadline early April) – 30th of June (deadline end of May)
- Arrival day: Specific Date. Please speak to your Kaya advisor
What is included
- Accommodation while studying: Homestay with a local Peruvian family for basic price, or option to stay in student housing for an extra fee
- Meals: 3 meals daily
- Airport pick-up at Cusco International Airport
- 2 courses at Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola
- Course-related materials
- Welcome ceremony and orientation
- Site visits as part of the courses with hands-on fieldwork
- Internet access
- Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola University transcript
- Support: 24-hour support
- Excursion Planning: staff helps organise weekend activities (extra fees may apply)
- Fundraising Guide
- Accommodation: Shared room in a forest eco lodge
- Hostel stay in Cusco for 2 nights in before the placement starts, overnight stay in the Amazon in a lodge
- Food: 3 meals per day including water, juice, tea and coffee
- Transport to and from the project site.
- Training: Pre-departure pack, on-site orientation, project induction provided, EFR first aid, technical & scientific training
- Support: 24-hour support from on-site coordinators
- Excursions: Staff can help you to plan extra activities for your spare time after your placement has finished (costs will be payable for extra activities)
What is not included
- Airport Drop-off
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Participate in the Environmental Protection Internship in Uganda and learn how renewable energy can be used in a country like Uganda
Volunteer in Zimbabwe and get first hand experience of wildlife rescue, rehabilitation and release in one of Africa’s oldest wildlife sanctuaries located in Bulawayo.
Lend a hand to environmental conservation efforts and discover the beautiful sights of Jamaica on this Environmental Conservation Volunteering in Jamaica.
Learn and experience wildlife conservation volunteering in Brazil
Intern in for a local social enterprise promoting financial independence through indigenous traditions in Peru
Intern in a local school and gain some teaching experience in Peru
Combine study abroad and volunteering for a semester in Cusco, Peru.
Combine study abroad and volunteering this summer in Cusco, Peru.