What is the Summer Study Abroad and Service in Peru – Social, Art and Culture Track all about?
Volunteer with Kaya on our Summer Study Abroad and Service in Peru program in Cusco and earn credits for your university course.
Why not immerse yourself while earning credit towards your degree in the most important historic city in South America, the formal capital of the Inca Empire, and visit one of the Seven Wonders of the World, the Inca royal residence of Machu Picchu?
You will spend five weeks studying towards your degree in English or Spanish (depending on your choice) while participating in some site visits as part of your class or on the weekend.
After your studies are completed, you will have the opportunity to volunteer for an additional 2 weeks and immersed yourself even more in the local communities while making a difference.
You will be living with a homestay family who will teach you everything you need to know about Peruvian culture and customs.
Why choose this Study Abroad and Community Service Programme in Peru?
If you are a university student wishing to explore and understand the Peruvian society today as a series of historical and sociological changes, or maybe you want to learn about the most renowned pre-Colonial South American society, or perhaps you are interested in Incas culture heritage and conservation, Inca art and Inca architecture, or you want to learn about how to photograph world and local heritage? Whatever your interest might be, this study abroad and service is a great way to earn credits abroad towards your degree. You can earn up to 8 credits during the summer while being in stunning Cusco!
A great way to get ahead in your studies! Not only will you be able to take courses at Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola and immerse yourself into Peruvian culture, you will also be able to give something back to the local community through your volunteering efforts while benefiting from the immersion of doing it. What a great way to build up your resume!
Which Classes Can I take?
You will take 2 courses on this Summer Study Abroad and Service in Peru program. The courses (depending on what you choose) include a variety of field trips such as museums, archaeological sites, governmental institutions, exhibitions, local educational establishments amongst many others. This will help you not only get practical knowledge in the classrooms but also hands-on experience on the field as well as personalized tutorship with your professors.
Courses on “Social, Art and Culture” Track include:
- Art and Design in Cusco (3 credits)
- Photography in Cusco (3 credits)
- Inca Architecture (3 credits)
- Cultural Heritage Conservation (3 credits)
- Contemporary Society and Culture of Peru (3 credits)
- History and Culture of the Incas (3 credits)
- Literatura Latinoamericana (Latin American Literature) (3 credits)
- Introduction to Volunteering, Service Learning and Social Responsibility in Cusco (3 credits)
- Política Internacional Latinoamericana (Latin America’s International Policy) (4 credits)
- Lenguaje y Sociedad (Society and Language) (4 credits)
A full description of the classes can be found here.
Note, that you may also choose to have a Spanish Course accompanied with one of the classes above. A class of Spanish Language is worth 4 credits and depends on your level of Spanish. You will be placed according to the results of your Spanish Placement Test (see more information below under requirements).
After your classes end, you will have the opportunity to volunteer within the community for two weeks. Placements might include volunteering in an Inca-jewellery-making cooperative, or a local organization involved in conservation and cultural heritage. Kaya placement advisor will work with you to identify the best volunteer opportunity depending on your skills and interests.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To combine your academic studies with real cultural immersion in a local service initiative
To make your summer really impactful and memorable
To earn credit for your studies whilst living in the historic city of Cusco
The requirements to join the Summer Study Abroad and Service in Peru program are:
- Minimum GPA: 2.5
- Academic Reference
- Personal Statement
- University Application Form
- Official Transcript
A Kaya representative will contact you upon application to get these materials.
Shall you decide to take any Spanish classes, upon arrival, you will be required to take a Spanish placement test to be evaluated and placed according to one of the four categories: Beginner, Pre-Intermediate, Intermediate or Advanced.
Intermediate Spanish is needed for topical classes.
Where will I study and work in Peru?
Cusco is a historical city in the Peruvian Andes and was once capital of the Inca Empire. It is a city known for its many archaeological remains and Spanish colonial architecture. It represents the evidence of a rich and complex history at the same time. You will often see its indigenous population on the street wearing traditional clothing despite its rich cosmopolitan environment.
It is known as UNESCO World Heritage Site given its proximity to Machu Picchu, the Sacred Valley of the Incas and the many Inca ruins.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 7+ weeks
- Cost: Study and Service: $4350* for 7 weeks with homestays (meals included)
*This program’s payment is only available in U.S. dollars
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Cusco, peru
- Working hours: Take two courses (up to 8 US credits) at Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola Option to make one of the classes a Spanish Language Class
- Project availability: Dates: 2 start dates available in 2020 – 18th of May (deadline early April) – 30th of June (deadline end of May)
- Arrival day: Specific Date. Please speak to your Kaya advisor
What is included
• Accommodation: Homestay with a local Peruvian family for basic price, or option to stay in student housing for an extra fee
• Meals: 3 meals daily • Airport pick-up and drop-off at Cusco International Airport
• 2 courses at Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola
• Course-related materials
• Welcome ceremony and orientation
• Site visits as part of the courses with hands-on fieldwork
• Internet access
• Universidad San Ignacio de Loyola University transcript
• 24 Hour support
- Transfer to service site
- Accommodation: Homestay with a local Peruvian family for basic option
- Meals: 3 meals a day if staying with a family
- 24 Hour support from on-site coordinator
What is not included
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Join us in a rural community of Costa Rica and contribute to the local community while living an adventure of a lifetime!
Take part in this 3-week American History Restoration Gap Program - California Ghost Town Circuit and experience the Great American Outdoors!
Take part in a Psychology and Social Work Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Take part in a NGO Management Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Intern in for a local social enterprise promoting financial independence through indigenous traditions in Peru
Intern in a local school and gain some teaching experience in Peru
Combine study abroad and volunteering this summer in Cusco, Peru.
Combine study abroad and volunteering for a semester in Cusco, Peru.
Combine study abroad and volunteering this summer in Cusco, Peru.