What is the Rural Volunteer Teaching in Moshi Tanzania all about?
Join us for rural volunteer teaching in Moshi, Tanzania and spend time helping to improve educational access and facilities within a community just north of Arusha. This project does not just focus on the children, but also teachers and community leaders so your work here is of a capacity building nature. Education is very much viewed as a requirement for future generations and the means to escaping absolute poverty for those struggling at the present time. The project works with local nurseries, schools, adult training centres and an HIV/AIDS organisation providing classroom assistance and after-school club activities for its members. In addition, the project supports a women’s group who find themselves marginalised from the community due to their HIV status. Through providing educational support and a range of additional activities, the project is trying to improve the lives of those from disadvantaged backgrounds on this community-based initiative.
Why choose this Rural Volunteer Teaching in Moshi Tanzania?
- Help to continue the good work that has already taken place in the community by bringing new energy and ideas to classes providing eager students with the opportunity to practice with a native English speaker, a well-thought after skill to gain employment in the tourism industry.
- Share your passion for arts and crafts, sports, songs and help make a difference in a community that needs to create opportunities for themselves in the tourism sector.
- Stand out from the crowd by adding this experience your CV / Resume
Role of the Volunteer Teacher
As a volunteer in rural Tanzania you may be asked to help in the following activities:
- Teaching English to children, teachers and local leaders in the community
- Singing, dancing and developing creative skills through art, craft and imaginative play activities at nursery school
- Teach English lessons at local Tourism College
- General upkeep of the school and its environment to keep it a nice place to learn
- Assisting with after-school clubs
- HIV/AIDS education at a youth centre
- Help with the elderly, participating in conversations and activities.
Volunteers will be asked to work on a number of different areas within this community which will give you an amazing insight into the lives of the Tanzanian people. Following your working day, you will have plenty of time to relax and socialise with your local counterparts and other volunteers.
What skills do I need to be a Rural Community Teacher in Tanzania?
While a teaching qualification and experience is preferred, especially for those wishing to lead lessons, all volunteers can add value and have an impact on this project. Experience of working with children or community projects or holding a TEFL qualification would be an advantage. As long as you have good English communication skills and are passionate about teaching and working with members of the community, then this project is for you. All volunteers are asked to be culturally respectful in the way they dress and act during their stay. You will be asked to send your CV/resume before being accepted.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Help improve access to gain English skills for local children
To share your spare time to support others
Gain classroom management and teaching experience
Located on mainland Tanzania, Moshi is a vibrant town where you will be based for your volunteer placement. It is located approximately an hour and a half drive from Arusha and is nestled at the foot of Mount Kilimanjaro. The town is a dynamic centre with a multi-tribal feel which is welcoming to volunteers. Moshi is a great location and it is easy to fill your spare time exploring the surrounding area. Why not join a safari in the Serengeti or explore Ngorongoro Crater on your weekends. For those of you who are extremely fit, add on an extra week to the end of your placement and climb Mount Kilimanjaro or even take a boat to the fabulous Zanzibar.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 – 12 weeks
- Cost: £1313 / $2101 for 2 weeks
Additional weeks’ costs can be found in the drop-down menu
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Moshi, Tanzania
- Project activities: play games with primary school children. run sports sessions, teach at a tourism college, improve educational facilities in the community
- Working hours: 09:00 – 17:30, Monday – Friday
- Project Availability: Project start every 2nd Monday of each month. Schools close during April, June and for most of December.
- Arrival day: Monday
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared same gender rooms in a volunteer house.
- Food: 3 meals per day 7 days a week.
- Weekly laundry service
- Airport pickup and drop off from Kilimanjaro International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation & project induction provided
- Support: 24 hour support from on-site coordinator
- Activities: Staff help organise weekend activities (activity price may be extra)
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Join our social work and youth internship in South Africa and get involved in a local community while developing your professional skills in a different environment.
Join our human trafficking internship in South Africa and get involved with a local community on a worthy cause.
Volunteer Coaching Sports in Ghana placement provides participants with the opportunity to learn about the local community while sharing their knowledge and providing brighter prospects to the local athletes
Kaya Teach in Ghana placement provides participants with the opportunity to learn about the local community while sharing their knowledge and providing brighter prospects to the local students.
Use your skills and entrepreneurship spirit to participate in this Entrepreneurship for International Development Internship in Tanzania and help the local community generate new income and fight unemployment.
Volunteer in Tanzania on a teaching and community work project based on the island of Zanzibar, located just off Africa's Tanzanian coast.
Volunteer on a Dolphin and Marine Conservation project on the island of Zanzibar and help preserve the habitats by monitoring tourist and wildlife interaction.