Volunteer on this project focused on teaching and community assistance in Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and support a team working together with a number of small community initiatives to benefit the most vulnerable. Everyday life is challenging for many in Zimbabwe with shockingly high levels of unemployment, limits on food supplies and little savings, there is no sign of this easing any time soon There is no money to support schools, orphanages, the elderly or community initiatives. Staff and local volunteers are overstretched and under supported despite efforts to implement curriculum and goals to develop and protect the residents and environment.
This placement focuses on a range of activities agreed with community groups such as supporting local pre-schools, primary schools, an orphanage for children from all sorts of backgrounds including those who require additional economic and psychosocial support due to homelessness, physical disabilities, sexual abuse, poverty and parent mortality, as well as an old people’s home. The project provides support with education, refurbishment activities, assisting with community vegetable gardens to help improve nutrition and also environmental activities such as litter clearing of popular natural beauty spots. Volunteer with us and support the initiatives aimed to support the most vulnerable and their environment in this lovely Zimbabwean community.
Why choose this project?
This placement brings together some of the most needy areas in the region that need volunteer support. Hands on help is needed with the children and the elderly, as people have little spare time, so your attention will be much appreciated. You will benefit by gaining a first hand insight into the impact of political unrest and poverty, increasing your understanding as a global citizen. If you are studying international or community development this project will give you an insight into the challenges facing resource poor settings.
Role of the volunteer
As a volunteer participating in teaching and community assistance in Victoria Falls you will help at several project sites during the week:
- teaching at a pre-school several mornings a week, providing hands on care and assistance
- running a kids club at an orphanage following a set curriculum to help them to develop life skills
- assisting at a reading club following learning goals, giving attention to those who are either struggling and need extra help or those enthusiastic students who want to understand more on a topic and are really eager learners
- digging and watering plants in community gardens, helping vulnerable local citizens such as those who are HIV+ or the elderly to grow plants to supplement their diets
- helping with litter clearing from a popular beauty spot, removing plastic, metal and other rubbish ruining the landscape and posing a threat to local wildlife
- you will also have the opportunity to help with Lion conservation work and join a game count – read our blog to learn more.
As a volunteer, you can contribute to bringing fresh new ideas to the projects and the practical support that you will bring when volunteering in the gardens or on repairs and painting will be much appreciated. Improve the future generation of Zimbabweans by giving your time, energy and support to communities in Victoria Falls.
You will need to be of good health and have a decent level of fitness, come with enthusiasm and a willingness to do what is required during daily tasks, and of course, we need you to have a genuine love for people. You will be asked to send your CV/resume to be accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Volunteer within a local team aiming to improve the lives of impoverished children
To support community efforts to provide services for the most vulnerable
To gain an understanding of the importance of education, especially in a tourism context
The project is located in Victoria Falls town; a stone’s throw away from the magnificent thundering waters of the world renowned Falls. Victoria Falls is actually a bustling tourist town and has a range of craft shops, bars and restaurants. The accommodation is quiet and peaceful which you can make your home during your stay in Zimbabwe. It is fully furnished with a large lounge and dining room, braai area and swimming pool, where you will be able to take a much needed swim at the end of your project working day. On weekends popular activities include visiting the shops, exploring Victoria Falls and participating in the adrenaline generating activities in the area. Other activities not to be missed are dinner at the Boma, a day trip to Chobe and high tea at Victoria Falls Hotel.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2-12 weeks
- Cost: £1130 / $1978 for 2 weeks
£275 / $481 extra per week for weeks 3-5
£255 / $446 extra per week for weeks 6-12
- Requirements: Age 17+
- Location: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Project activities: Provide assistance to teachers, give much needed attention to abused children, help in gardens, lion conservation work
- Working Hours: 07.30-17.00 Monday to Friday, Saturdays at the Lion Rehabilitation Centre and other projects
- Project availability: Projects start every 2nd Monday. Schools are closed between September – early December but there will still be plenty for you to do.
- Arrival day: Monday
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room in a room with ensuite in a volunteer house, with a BBQ and pool area.
- Food: 3 Meals a day
- Weekly laundry service
- Airport pickup and drop off from Victoria Falls International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation and project induction provided
- Daily transfers to and from your project.
- Support: On-site coordinator providing 24 hour support
- Activities: Staff help organise weekend activities. (Activity price may be extra) Trips include; Adrenaline sports at Victoria Falls, visits to game reserves and trips to nearby Botswana.
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.