In Victoria Falls, you will support a number of small, community initiatives benefitting Zimbabwe’s most vulnerable. Everyday life is challenging in the country as there are high levels of unemployment and little money to support schools, orphanages and the elderly. Staff and local volunteers are overstretched and under-supported as they try to implement curriculum to educate residents and to protect the local environment.
This placement focuses on supporting local pre-schools and primary schools, an old people’s home and an orphanage for children requiring economic and psychosocial support due to homelessness, physical disabilities, sexual abuse, poverty and parent mortality. The project provides education, nutrition development and environmental cleaning to improve the future generations of Zimbabweans in Victoria Falls.
Why choose this project?
As staff is overstretched, volunteers’ extra assistance is helpful to provide the children and the elderly with more specialised attention. You will benefit by gaining first hand insight into the challenges of the impoverished, increasing your understanding as a global citizen. This is a great placement for those studying international or community development.
Role of the volunteer
You will help at several project sites during the week:
- At a pre-school several mornings a week, providing hands on care and assistance
- At the orphanage’s kids club, following a set curriculum to help develop the kids’ life skills
- At a reading club, giving attention to struggling students and/or enthusiastic students who want to understand more on a topic
- At a community garden, digging, watering plants, helping vulnerable local citizens (e.g. those who are HIV+ or elderly) to grow plants to supplement their diets
- In the community, helping to clear litter, removing rubbish that ruins the landscape and poses a threat to local wildlife
- Extra opportunity: to join a game count at a nearby lion conservation center (read our blog to learn more)
No specific skills are required. You should be of good health and have a decent level of fitness. Come with a genuine love for people, enthusiasm and a willingness to do what is asked of you. You will be asked to send your CV/resume to be accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To improve the lives of impoverished children
To support local community efforts
To gain a better understanding of the importance of education
The project is located in a town a stone’s throw away from the magnificent, thundering waters of Victoria Falls. The town is a bustling tourist area with a range of craft shops, bars and restaurants. Your fully furnished accommodation is quiet and peaceful with a lounge, dining room, BBQ area and swimming pool. On weekends, popular activities are exploring Victoria Falls or adventure activities like whitewater rafting or bungee jumping. Don’t miss having an unforgettable dinner at the Boma, taking a day trip to Chobe National Park or attending high tea at the Victoria Falls Hotel.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2-12 weeks
- Cost: £1181 / $2067 for 2 weeks
£243 / $425 extra per week for weeks 3-4
£385 / $674 extra for week 5
£255 / $446 extra per week for weeks 6-8
£279 / $488 extra per week for week 9-12
- Requirements: age 17+
- Location: Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe
- Project activities: provide assistance to teachers, give much needed attention to abused children, help in gardens, lion conservation work
- Working Hours: 07:30-17:00, Monday to Friday, Saturdays at the lion rehabilitation centre
- Project availability: projects start every second Monday. Schools are closed from September to early December, but there will be other activities to get involved in.
- Arrival day: Monday
What is included
- Accommodation: shared room in a volunteer house with ensuite, BBQ and pool area
- Food: 3 meals a day
- Weekly laundry service
- Airport pickup and drop off from Victoria Falls International Airport
- Training: pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation and project induction
- Daily transfers to and from your project
- Support: on-site coordinator providing 24 hour support
- Activities: staff help organise weekend activities (prices may be extra). Trips can include: bungee jumping at Victoria Falls, visit to a game reserve and a trip to nearby Botswana.
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.