What is the Teen Community Volunteering in Costa Rica all about?
Want to do something amazing with your free time this year? Join us in a teen-focused volunteering placement in this rural community of Costa Rica and contribute to the local community initiatives. You may choose one of the following focus of the program depending on your personal interest:
- Language teaching working with students aged between 5 and 19.
- Childcare placement working with pre-school children.
- Building and construction in the local community.
- Sports and physical education teaching for students aged between 5 and 19.
- Farming placement assisting local farmers with their livestock, crops of coffee, cacao, avocado and more!
Costa Rica relies heavily on tourism, and tourism relies on locals speaking popular tourist languages. Private schools are often bilingual, but expensive, and children in government schools are often left behind. This placement gives you the chance to improve the prospects of children in government schools and locals by broadening their cultural horizons and giving them the confidence to use and practice a foreign language. They will learn in order by engaging in conversations with you, and it will benefit them for life.
Support one of these community development initiatives while developing your own language skills and immersing yourself in a new culture to further your own horizons.
Why choose this community volunteering project for teenagers in Costa Rica?
- Provide an extra pair of hands to help the local community with their development initiatives and make new friends along the way!
- Spend your free time doing some meaningful work within a rural community while learning about their traditions and cultures.
- Practice and improve your Spanish skills, all while having fun!
Role of the teen community volunteer
Your role as a volunteer will vary depending on your project choice.
- Language teaching volunteers will teach language classes, usually English, but could also cater for French, German or Mandarin Chinese. The placement helps expose local students to another language and gives you an insight into the Costa Rican education system.
- Childcare teaching volunteers will work alongside local staff to teach and interact with local children in English. The main purpose is for the children to learn, have fun and grow with confidence. This is a good experience to gain teaching and childcare experience for all participants.
- Building and construction volunteers will get involved depending on the needs of the community at the time. Activities can range from painting, to maintaining buildings, green areas or helping with local construction or environmental projects.
- Sports and physical education volunteers will have the chance to organize games and exercise outside for students in either English or Spanish, or a mix of the two languages. It is an opportunity for the local students to play sports, where they have very little opportunities to do so otherwise.
- Farming volunteers should be ready to get their hands dirty as they immerse themselves in rural life assisting with bio garden projects, horse training, fish farming, or attending to cattle with the local farmers. What a better way to gain a unique insight into traditional and more modern, green, farming methods.
Tasks vary depending on the time and duration of your placement and the needs of the project. You should be prepared to volunteer between 3 and 6 hours a day depending on the time of the year, and the type of placement you choose.
What skills do I need to be a teen community volunteer in Costa Rica?
This project is open to all. Spanish is not required for this placement. Flexibility, enthusiasm and willingness to join in are a must! All volunteers will be asked to attend a telephone interview and obtain parental consent forms for acceptance onto the projects.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Where will I work in Costa Rica?
About the location
Your project is located in Esparza, which is a medium-sized agricultural town nestled amongst the mountains above Rio Barranca, in the Central Pacific Coast area of Costa Rica. The Spanish town is the second oldest in the country, and it has a rich history including legends of hidden pirate gold. The town is off the tourist trail, and very relaxed. The nearest beach to surf and relax is only 20 minutes away, and within 25 kilometers of the town, you can find canopy tours as well as the world-famous attractions of Puntarenas. The closest national park of Carara is only an hour’s drive, giving you plenty of optional activities to do during your downtime.
The accommodation consists of newly built eco houses where you will share your meals, and find plenty of communal areas to relax and enjoy with other like-minded individuals. The accommodation offers a large garden of tropical plants including coconut palm, papaya, banana and citrus making it an idyllic lodge.
What to do in your spare time
Esparza and Puntarenas have plenty to offer for weekend activities, including horse riding, water sports (surf is huge!), game fishing, canopy tours, and some of the best scenery in the world. Puntarenas is also ideally located where you can take a scenic ferry to the Nicoya Peninsula and its many secluded beaches.
Esparza is on the Panamerican Highway, so access to the rest of Costa Rica and the rest of the Latin American continent is at your doorstep.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2-12 weeks
- Cost: £1087 / $1696 for 2 weeks
£323 / $504 for each additional weeks
- Requirements: Age 16+
- Location: Esparza, Costa Rica
- Working hours: Monday-Friday: 3-6 hours daily depending on projects
- Project availability: All year round
- Arrival day: Saturday or Sunday
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room in an eco-lodge with other volunteers
- Meals: 3 meals a day Mondays through Fridays, and 2 meals on Saturdays and Sundays
- Airport: pick up from San Jose International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure preparation pack, fundraising guide, on-site orientation and project induction provided
- Support: On-site coordinator providing 24 hours support
- Excursion Planning: staff helps organize weekend activities (activity prices may be extra)
What is not included
- Airport Drop Off to San Jose International
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Kaya Teaching in Ghana placement provides participants with the opportunity to learn about the local community while sharing their knowledge and providing brighter prospects to the local students.
Combine study abroad and intern this fall or spring in Ecuador
Take part in a Psychology and Social Work Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Spend your holidays doing something different and help others through volunteering overseas. Work on 1 of 4 projects in Costa Rica that accept teenagers from 15 years old.
Volunteer on this Sea Turtle conservation project and protect female sea turtles, their nests and hatchlings on beaches along the coasts of Costa Rica.
Volunteer abroad with Kaya in Costa Rica and get hands-on teaching experience with children who will really benefit from international instruction.
Join us at nutrition centres improving diets in Costa Rica on this mother and child nutrition volunteer placement.