What is the Tourism Internship in South Africa all about?
Use your writing skills and passion for travel and participate in this tourism internship in South Africa and help a local tourism organisation drive forward ecotourism in Cape Town. The organisation is focussing on attracting young people with the aim of developing an accredited and respected international backpacking and adventure travel destination. With over 250 members in Cape Town getting ahead is a challenge. This organisation is keen to promote eco and responsible tourism in its marketing which is focused on a vibrant and growing market. Join us in Cape Town on this tourism internship and be a part of the growing eco backpacker sector in South Africa.
Why choose this Tourism Internship programme in South Africa?
If you have experience or are interested in starting a career in the travel industry then this tourism internship is perfect for you! Offering you the chance to gain practical experience while supporting the efforts of members of the tourism industry in Cape Town this is the chance to learn about the backpacker market while helping with efforts to attract travellers. It will be a great addition to any CV/resume.
Role of the Tourism Intern
During your internship you will work alongside the local team and learn how a non profit tourism organisation operates in the global travel market. Specific elements of the internship include:
- helping to develop reputation as a youth travel organisation through proactive marketing
- focusing on adventure travel and backpacking destination
- attending office time meetings
- meeting with other members of 250 strong industry
- attending conferences and expos
- promoting destinations within South Africa
It is up to you to make the most out of your placement – you can develop it as opportunities arise. All the activities are dependent on project needs and events planned during your internship. It will also depend on the experience level of the intern. Interns are supported by a project team member and internship coordinator and a project member during your internship. You will attend weekly review sessions and you will be able to pose any questions and review your progress.
What skills do I need to be a Tourism Intern in South Africa?
If you are an undergraduate or graduate in marketing, PR, journalism or tourism this is the perfect opportunity for you to gain some skills and experience to add to your CV/Resume. Interns expected to have experience in MS Excel and to have a good grasp of written and spoken English.
All Interns are asked to bring a laptop with them, if this is possible, as the local opportunities cannot source this. A full CV/resume will be requested upon application to assess your suitability for the programme. Documentation will be required to support your application including a letter of motivation. You will be also asked of a telephone interview as there is a selection process for this exciting placement.
During your internship you will be asked to complete a learning diary to monitor your learning and before you leave you are asked to produce a presentation for your project so that you can jointly reflect on your placement.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To gain hands on experience of strategies to tackle the challenges facing the tourism sector
To develop career skills as a travel professional
To gain work experience whilst you promote something meaningful and positive
Where will I work in South Africa?
During your internship you will be living in the artsy area of Observatory in Cape Town which is 7 km from the city centre. Spending at least 3 months in Cape Town means that you will have plenty of time to explore all the city and the amazing surrounding areas, even venturing along the Cape Coast. In the evenings you will be able to visit some of the cafes and bars in the local area and at weekends you can soak up the sun on the beach or explore the museums in the city. For those that love the beach take advantage of opportunities to try your hand at surfing or shark cage diving while those who are looking for more of a cultural immersion head to the art galleries or the historic Robben Island. A trip to the top of Table Mountain is not to be missed. It is truly a dynamic and exciting destination.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 12 weeks +
- Cost: £1585 / $2774 for 4 weeks
£330 / $578 for each extra 2 weeks
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Project activities: creating social media strategies, network with travel operators, attend conferences
- Working hours: 8:30 – 17:00 but you will be asked to assist with weekend fundraising or promotional activities as required
- Project availability: All year round, but places are limited
- Arrival day: Every 1st or 3rd Monday of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: Dorm accommodation with communal bathrooms in a volunteer house
- 3 meals per day Monday to Friday prepared by the house cook
- Scheduled airport pick up and drop off from Cape Town International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation and project induction provided
- Support: 24 hour support from on-site coordinator
- Assistance with planning your weekend excursions from local staff
- Weekly laundry and housekeeping service
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Daily transportation to your placement
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Participate in a women empowerment internship and learn about sustainable development model to empower local vulnerable women and help them make a living.
Intern on this Microfinance and Entrepreneurship Training for Communities in Uganda placement and contribute to the training of local entrepreneurs.
Use your skills and entrepreneurship spirit to participate in this Entrepreneurship for International Development Internship in Tanzania and help the local community generate new income and fight unemployment.