What is the Fair Trade Internship in Ecuador all about?
Travel to Ecuador and join a Fair Trade internship in the Mindo Cloud Forest for a unique chocolate-related project. This project focuses on sustainable economic development, cultural preservation and heritage conservation by working directly with indigenous farming families. The cocoa used is cultivated by over 100 families using traditional farming techniques and with respect to the environmental conditions.
The project works with a women’s association that implements continuous education and training programs of the farmers around products like pure chocolate, flavored chocolate and other cocoa products. The association also ensure that a fair price is paid for the products and it generates incomes to sustain the local farming community.
The focus is on social empowerment, community development and environmental management in a fair trade context for vegan sustainable chocolate!
Why choose this Fair Trade Internship program in Ecuador?
- Experience a project with a unique combination of environmental, social and business aspects while learning about the process of chocolate making!
- Help boost the project’s economical gains and really make a positive difference to the lives of the farmers and their families.
- Gain experience in an ethical industry with growth potential as you practice your Spanish and demonstrate your ability to effectively communicate your ideas and adapt to different settings.
Role of the Fair Trade Intern
You will be supportive of the business with possible involvement in the fields of business planning, marketing and customer service. This placement is a great opportunity to learn about the whole fabrication process of one of the best chocolate in the world. Indeed, the chocolate coming from the farming community has already won awards for demonstrating excellence in sales, innovation and advanced social responsibility to the community.
Activities may include field research, manual labor, marketing, or data entry. Your tasks will vary depending on your skills and interests and the needs of the project at the time of your internship.
What skills do I need to be a Fair Trade Intern in Quito?
This internship is geared towards undergraduate and graduate students, and industry professionals. Your focus should be on entrepreneurship, international development, business, food engineering, tourism or a related field. Team working skills and flexibility are required as well as a reasonable level of fitness. Proficiency in Spanish (level A2 User of CEFR) is required for this project as you will be working alongside local people. You will receive feedback about your placement. Please bring a laptop to record your progress during your internship.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To work with a local team to help generate income for local communites
Gain direct experience working in an ethical industry
To experience life in a diverse country
Where will I work in Ecuador?
The project is located in Mindo, a collection of rural parishes in the northern region of Ecuador. The Mindo Valley is known to be one of the most biologically diverse ecoregions in the world. Not only known as the “Ruta de Cacao”, the area is also very touristic due to its biodiversity and collection of things to do.
You accommodation will be at a nature and touristic reserve and will meet all of your basic needs.
Weekends can be spent rafting, tubing, mountain biking, horseback riding, birdwatching, trekking or just enjoying yourself nearby a waterfall.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 8+ weeks
- Cost: £3060 / $4776 for 8 weeks
£252 / $393 for each extra week
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Mindo, Ecuador
- Working hours: Monday - Friday, 8.00 – 17.00
- Project availability: All year round from Early 2021
- Arrival day: See 2024 arrival dates tab
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room in an eco lodge, Stay in a hostel in Quito, breakfast included for the first weekend
- Meals: 2 meals a day
- Airport: scheduled pick up and drop off in Quito
- On the Ground Transport: Escorted travel from Quito to your project location
- Training: Pre-departure pack, on-site orientation on a Saturday, project induction and learning reflection document
- Support: On-site coordinator providing 24-hour support, feedback at the end of your placement
- Excursion Planning: Staff help organize evening and weekend activities (extra fees may apply)
- Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Optional intensive Spanish classes 1-week program for £448/$699
- Optional excursion on the Sunday on your arrival weekend. Please speak to an advisor if you want to know more
|June||7th, 14th, 21st|
|December||no available dates|
Easy 4-step application process
Apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Join this organic farming and food security initiative, aimed at providing a sustainable source of healthy foods for young mothers and inner city youth in Belize.
Join our 10 or 7-week environment conservation and community development gap year adventure program, and explore Costa Rica in an exciting and meaningful way!
Join our 10 or 7-week environment conservation and community development gap year program, and explore South Africa in an exciting and meaningful way!
Refine your photography skills, enhance your CV and help create impactful images for a local NGO in Cape Town
Join Kaya's whale and dolphin conservation internship on the Pacific Coast of Ecuador to protect habitats and species.
Combine study abroad and intern this fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and service-learning in fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and service-learning this fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and intern this fall or spring in Ecuador