Kaya internships abroad enable students, graduates and career breakers to gain hands-on experience with organizations operating in a variety of fields that benefit communities and environments, in Latin America, Africa and Asia.
Intern Abroad Projects
Whether you want to gain practical experience, complete an elective or practicum or carry out a research project, Kaya can offer you a wide variety of interesting internship options throughout the world, in a surprising number of academic areas.
What are the benefits of interning abroad?
The benefits of interning abroad are endless, but these are the top 6 reasons why we think everyone should consider internship in a foreign country:
To be different and make your resume standout!
Discover a new country, learn a new language and develop your intercultural skills!
Meet interesting (and possibly useful!) new contacts from all over the world
Get out of your comfort zone, gain confidence and independence!
Demonstrate that you are the candidate that embraces challenge, thinks differently and has real drive!
Receive academic credit while making a difference
Why should I intern Abroad with Kaya?
Kaya internships all share one common, unique and important feature – they make a difference. All Kaya placements are within organisations that align with our mission to provide genuine community or environmental benefit.
Our internship placements have been developed to provide in-depth opportunities and experiences for participants looking to work within specific fields.
Compared to traditional Kaya volunteer placements, internships require a longer time commitment, are focused on a specific area of an organization, and ensure interns are placed to work under the guidance of a supervisor who can provide feedback and assessment of the work being carried out.
Internship placements generally are at least four weeks long, with regular start dates throughout the year but we encourage students to participate longer wherever possible.
What does a Kaya internship include?
- Structured placements with learning goals
- Engagement with your university or institution to ensure that the position fulfills internship or credit hour requirements.
- Regular monitoring and feedback from an experienced supervisor
- Internship completion certificate
- Detailed pre-departure information
- Airport pickup and drop off (except on 6 month placements)
- Accommodation (some placements may include meals)
- On-site orientation 24 hour access to support in-country
What areas can I work in?
We have placements in a wide variety of fields including:
- Communications and Marketing including Graphic Design
- Community Development
- Medical and Health
- Environment and Conservation
At Kaya, we are all about personal treatment and relationship building. So if you are looking for an elective or a practicum to support your studies that is not on our list, Kaya may be able to find a suitable placement for you. Your Kaya advisor can work to find a placement in one of our destination that matches the requirements of your course. You can give our advisors a call to discuss what you are looking for on 01618706212 or 1.413.517.0266.
Funding Your Internship Abroad
While an internship abroad can be a very valuable experience, funding it can also be a challenge between the costs of the placement, the flight, the visa fee and the food. Below are a few resources to look at before dismissing doing your internship abroad due to its costs:
- University Funding – Your first stop should be your university as they might have scholarships or travel grants for students. You should speak to your school advisor or a faculty member from your program to find out more.
- Fundraising – There are many fundraising options out there. Once you secure your placement with Kaya and pay your deposit fee, we provide you with an extensive fundraising guide to help you with this process.
- Independent Scholarship Providers – You might qualify for a scholarship or a grant depending on your location and situation:
- Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship – This scholarship is available for U.S. Citizens.
- For U.S. students, check out with your fraternities, sororities, and honor societies who might have funding options for internship abroad.
- Fulbright Grant – Depending on your field of studies and your destination country, there might be a few grants available for you for traveling abroad.
This is just a few ideas, but there are many more resources out there, we suggest you search for either Industry specific grants or minority student specific grants or destination specific grants to help you pay for your internship and embark on your next adventure!
Get University Credit for internships
Doing your research projects
Our Internship projects
If you are looking for an elective or a practicum to support your studies or one that is not on our list, Kaya may be able to find a suitable placement for you. For a small fee of £35 / $61 you can work with us to find a placement in one of our destination that matches the requirements of your course. Give one of our advisors a call to discuss this on 01618706212 or 1.413.517.0266. Speak to a placement advisor for advice on which placement best suits your needs. Discover the options available to help you to develop your job prospects and career through completing an internship with Kaya.
Easy 3-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.