Gain experience as an international development professional by joining our Non-profit Development Internship in Ghana. Learn about NGO management, community development, social media, event management and donor funding while experiencing local Ghanaian culture. This non- profit organisation is researching and implementing initiatives to support human development through projects such as a Microfinance and leasing, a youth development centre for skills training, agriculture, and education through teaching, and a mobile literacy programme. The non-profit supports it work by gaining funding from diverse donors including European Union, The Global Fund For Children and many others. Its internship programme offers international interns the opportunity for global exchange and practical hands on experience whilst supporting the non-profit extra support with its work.
Why choose this project?
Running a non-profit is hard work and fundraising, networking and social media are very time consuming so the support of interns who have a genuine interest in international development, as well as being willing to learn, is a great help. Interns get hands on front line experience which is invaluable for anyone seeking a position within the international development sector. Students and those who have already graduated will benefit from this placement. Monies raised through extra activity on social media and grant writing will ultimately benefit the communities that the project supports, as additional support will go to the literacy, skills, agriculture and livelihoods ventures.
During your Non-profit Development Internship in Ghana you will use your interests, skills and knowledge while learning how to apply them in a non-profit setting. You will be asked to get involved with, and receive training in a number of areas, depending on the needs of the non-profit at the time of your internship. During the internship you may have the opportunity to learn how to:
- research funding opportunities locally and internationally
- write funding/grant proposals requesting funding using appropriate tone and content
- produce reports to demonstrate use of funding to international donors
- develop materials that are content appropriate for the international development sector
- develop strategies to monitor and evaluate the impact of activities implemented as a result of donor grants or sponsorship
- promote, network and market a non-for profit organisation
- work with the local community to ensure development activities are meeting the needs of local people and are sustainable
Types of activities you may get involved with include:
- Assisting with writing funding proposals and reports to be sent to funders
- Updating of the NGO website and social media to promote activities
- Create on-line funding campaigns for particular activities
- Producing video content for promoting the organisation
- Develop a project framework and standards for the NGO
- Attend or organise community meetings and events to gauge need and promote the work of the organisation
You will be supported throughout the placement by the MD of the non-profit organisation. You will be encouraged to complete a learning diary during your internship and produce a presentation to the MD at the end of your placement summarising your learning.
By joining this Non-profit Development Internship in Ghana you will have an amazing experience in Ghana. You should bring along an open mind, a good attitude to work, and a willingness to learn as part of a cross cultural team will certainly ensure this. Particular studies or experience for this internship include international development, fundraising, sustainability, graphic design, social media and project management. Good communication skills and a working knowledge of MSOffice are required. Graphic design and video editing skills are valued. Please bring a laptop. All applicants must submit a CV/resume, letter of motivation and attend a telephone intern for consideration for this interesting and varied placement.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To gain hands on work experience
To improve your CV or resume
To learn about the function of non-profit organisations and how they run
About the Location
Your project is based in the city of Accra, the energetic Captial of Ghana. This interesting city presents a mixture of old and new buildings, some of which date back to the Colonial Era in the 19th Century. The modernized skyline stretches across the Gulf Guinea, providing a beautiful beachfront location. Having said this, most of the cities action occurs away from the coastline and in the heart of Accra itself. This is a Metropolitan city with 2.6 million people living in the area. It is considered one of the fastest growing cities in Africa due to its high population and growing economy. However, the majority of people living in Accra are still living in unimaginable poverty with streamlined office blocks giving way to around 25 slums and communities. These communities are growing bigger since in-migration has become a popular choice for those from surrounding areas.
Throughout your time on our Kaya project, your accommodation will be a volunteer house which is situated in the West of Accra, along the way to the town of Kumasi. The volunteer house is based in a peri-urban community with some local shops nearby. There is a shared bathroom within the volunteer house with running water and other basic necessities. A common room is also present within the volunteer house which will come into good use when volunteers want to socialize together or prepare their work for the day ahead. If you want a bit of peace and quiet after a hard days work then the balcony of the volunteer house is a great place to go to relax.
What to do in your spare time
There are plenty of things to do in your spare time when you are not working on a Kaya project. A visit to the arty areas and fishing port in Jamestown is a must see when you’re in Ghana, not to mention seeing the National Independence Monument! If shopping is a favorite pastime of yours, then we suggest you visit Ghana biggest market, known as Makola Market, in Kumasi – a town not far from your accommodation – to see the wide selection of trinkets, gifts, and food on offer.
Those of you who are animal lovers will not want to miss the opportunity to see some of the worlds largest and most magnificent creatures in their natural habitat. With 16 National Parks stretched across the country, you can go on a safari tour alongside other volunteers. These national parks are quite far from your accommodation, but the journey will definitely be worthwhile!
Ghana is home to many cultural and natural attractions that you don’t want to miss while you’re over there. For a bit of peace and tranquillity, why not take a trip to the Volta Region or along the Cape Coast? Another great place to visit is Wli Falls, a place where you can explore the many hills running along the Togo border. We also recommend you visit some of Ghana’s many beaches, such as Kokrobite beach and La Pleasure beach where you can sit back, relax, and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4 – 12 weeks
- Cost: £1306/$2286 for 4 weeks
£135 / $236 for each additional week.
Please note that a deposit of £280 / $490 is required.
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Accra, Ghana
- Project activities: Writing grant and fundraising proposals, producing articles for social media, attend network events
- Working hours: Monday – Friday 8:30am – 17:00pm. Evening hours maybe needed for events and networking.
- Project availability All year round, except 15th December – 5th January
- Arrival day: Saturday
What is included
- Accommodation: Dorm room for 2 – 4 people in a volunteer house with large shared kitchen, and volunteer planning room and veranda
- Food: Communal evening dinner during weekdays
- Airport pick up from Kotoko International Airport, Accra
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation, cultural tour and project induction provided
- Support: 24 hour support from on-site coordinator
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
- Fundraising Guide
What is not included
- Airport drop off
- Transport to and from projects
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Breakfast and lunches during the workweek, and all meals on weekends.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Be part of a team working to spread knowledge and education.
Learn about the impacts of Human Rights, Social Justice & NGO Management abroad
Gain some real experience in Journalism abroad!
If you want to help a rural impoverished community while learning about the culture and the people of Cambodia, all that while making friends, this is a placement for you!
Our dental placement in Ghana is based in a hospital in Accra, supporting dentists as an intern
Come and volunteer in Ghana to create a high impact on local community initiatives.
Bring your accounting or economics skills to Ghana to assist the local team with their micro-finance project which has already helped 120 Ghanaian women.
Come to Accra and work in a laboratory in a local hospital supporting a local Ghanaian community.