Online Program Agreement Terms and Conditions
Thank you for choosing to apply for a placement on a Kaya online program. Note that the terms and conditions of our online programs are different from those of our travel programs to account for their remote nature. We are committed to providing you with the best support as you prepare for this online cultural experience, which is why we have laid down the following term and conditions. By checking the agreement of these terms and conditions you have accepted to abide by the rules laid down in this agreement, and we suggest that you read the details carefully and speak to us if you require any further clarification. Please note there may be additional conditions which apply to individual placements.
Remote Internships: Upon receipt of the application and deposit, we will work with our ground teams to identify the best placements to match your skills, interests and academic studies and present you with those options. If we cannot find a suitable placement to fit your requirements we will refund your deposit in full.
Kaya will contact all applicants within 2 weeks of receipt of the application. Applications will not be considered without a program deposit. Standard online program deposits are GB£40/US$45 and are non-refundable. All deposits paid will be applied towards the total program fee
Deadlines, Dates & Prices
Applications are accepted throughout the year and are subject to limited space availability. Programs are priced individually and displayed on the Kaya website alongside each project. Deadlines are based on the dates of the desired placement . Some programs and project placements fill up prior to their published application deadlines. Apply early to secure your space. Important deadlines for Kaya Programs are:
- Early Application – Application can be made up to 1 year in advance, however arrangement and communication of the program specifics will commence 2-3 months prior to program start.
- Application Deadline – Each session has a specific deadline, so please apply before the deadline. Last-minute bookings will be considered on an individual basis and subject to availability. Last-minute bookings are advised that their placements arrangements may require more flexibility to accommodate.
- Total fee due – 1 week after program confirmation.
- Late Payment – Payment deadlines are displayed on the invoices provided. It is important to meet these deadlines to secure your placement, and missing these deadlines may result in the cancellation of your placement. Where a payment extension is requested, this will be considered on a case-by-case basis and will incur a late payment fee of GBP£35/USD$60.
Program Start and Finish Dates, Current Prices and What’s Included are displayed on the Kaya website alongside each project. Details shown on printed materials are subject to change. Projects prices are reviewed annually and bookings for the following year may differ from those listed. Payments may be made in GB£ or US$.
Date and Project Changes
Online programs have set start dates. Requests for late starts will be considered on a case-by case basis and will require participants to catch up on missed sessions in their own time.
Once a placement is confirmed and the balance payment received, these fees are non-refundable and requests for changes in placement will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Participants who are unable to finish the full program for any reason will not be refunded for early termination.
Trip Cancellation & Refund Policy
Kaya reserves the right to cancel any program if there are insufficient registrants (where minimum numbers apply) or if Kaya determines it is in the best interest of the applicant and quality of programming to cancel the program. Kaya is not responsible for other costs incurred by applicants preparing for the program. Should a program be canceled by Kaya, for any reason, applicants will be offered the option of positions in other Kaya Programs or a full refund on all fees paid.
For participants wishing to cancel or shorten their program, the following terms apply;
- Program deposits are non-refundable for Participants who have been matched with suitable placements. Program deposits will be fully refunded to unsuccessful Participants.
- Individuals who cancel or shorten their program, for any reason (including health, bereavement and connection issues) will not receive any refund.
- If the Participant cancels for any reason, the Participant must notify Kaya in writing. The cancellation will be effective upon receipt of the written notification by Kaya to firstname.lastname@example.org. Careful planning goes into developing intern placements for every individual applicant. As a result, Kaya and our host communities and partners incur substantial administrative and planning costs, prior to the start of each program.
- Kaya strives to ensure sustainable projects and quality programs for Participants. The Refund Policy is defined in an effort to protect and accomplish these goals. Kaya deals with each situation fairly, in consideration of well-established policies, and with the best interests of community members and Participants in mind.
Kaya programs are different from travel or adventure programs. Each development project and internship placement is unique and will often present new challenges in the course of the placement. Participants are asked to recognize that flexibility is required to accommodate for changing situations in the real world, and that part of the growth and learning opportunity is in adapting to changing situations and overcoming the obstacles they may present.
Legal Jurisdiction, Release of Liability and Assumption of Risks
Participants booking their placements on kayavolunteer.com enter a contract with Kaya Responsible Travel Ltd of The Arches, North Campus, Sackville St, Manchester, a company registered in England and Wales (company number 6885700). This contract is governed by English law under the exclusive jurisdiction of English courts.
Participants from North America and other Non-European countries:
Participants booking their placements on kayavolunteer.com enter a contract with Kaya Responsible Travel Ltd, part of the Global Educators Inc consortium of 3 Ferry Street, Studio 3-West, Easthampton, MA, a company registered in the state of Massachusetts, USA. This contract is governed by the laws of the State of Massachusetts, U.S.A., excluding Massachusetts’s conflict of laws rules, regardless of your location. You hereby expressly consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the federal and state courts located in Massachusetts U.S.A., for all matters or disputes arising out of or relating to these Terms and Conditions or your access or use of the Website.
In organising and managing volunteer projects, work experience placements, group programs, and courses, Kaya, its agents, employees, and staff give notice that they act solely on behalf of and for the benefit of the participants, on the express agreement that Kaya shall not be liable, financially or otherwise, for non-performance or unsatisfactory service; for the injury to persons including death, for loss of or damage to property, for accident or delay, and/or for expenses arising from strikes, weather, quarantine, sickness, government regulation, civil unrest or war, or from any act or omission of Kaya agents or employees, and/or airline, mail services, rail, bus company, vehicle rental entity, hotel, restaurant, or other suppliers of service.
By submitting this application form the participant assumes all of these risks and agrees to indemnify Kaya, its officers, directors, and employees harmless for any and all liability that may arise in connection with participation in the Kaya Programs. Kaya reserves the right to refuse any applicant admission to any program if he or she is deemed ill-suited for the program. Important program information will be sent to the email address provided on the application. Photographs, videotapes, and/or statements of participants may be used in promoting Kaya. Kaya publishes program and project photos on a monthly basis on the Kaya website. These photos and videos are available for participants, friends, family, and interested individuals to download, email, or print for personal use. Photography usage for distribution purposes will be considered on an individual basis on application to Kaya.
By joining a Kaya Program, the participant assumes certain obligations to Kaya, its community, and other program participants. If on-site program directors determine a participant fails to meet the behavioural expectations set out in this contract and within Kaya’s Online Code of Conduct document, that participant will be asked to leave the program. Participants asked to leave under these circumstances will not receive a refund. In addition to other program responsibilities, as a program participant you are responsible for:
- Acting in an appropriate and respectful manner towards the local people, fellow participants, and staff
- Communicating effectively your interests, skills, limitations, and needs to program staff members.
Online program participants do not have any age restrictions but must recognize that cultural content developed and presented will be appropriate for students of high school age and older.
For participants under 18yrs, parental consent is required.
If a Participant wishes to lodge a complaint in relation to their program, they shall first bring the complaint to the attention of the in-country coordinator, who will make reasonable efforts to deal with and, where possible, resolve the complaint within a reasonable time. If a Participant feels that complaint is not being dealt with adequately by their in-country coordinator, they should then contact the Kaya placement advice team to escalate the issue. If the coordinator is unable to resolve any serious complaint, and the participant chooses to terminate their placement early and depart the project, they shall provide the coordinator with a written version of events prior to departure. Refunds cannot be provided for early departure unless extreme circumstances are found, which will be determined at the sole discretion of Kaya. Issues reported after the end of a program which were not reported during the program, giving the site team an opportunity to address the issue in country, will not be considered for any compensation. Participants agree that Kaya shall not be liable for damages or compensation relating to any claim regarding inconvenience, disappointment, discomfort or loss of enjoyment.