What is the Photography Internship in South Africa all about?
Why choose this Photography Internship?
As a photography intern, you will work with a nonprofit organisation focussed on using photography to support their fundraising and awareness raising efforts. Depending on the duration of your internships, you will have the opportunity to work with a variety organisations with different focus areas, including; environmental conservation, women’s rights, social and economic development, and animal welfare.
Role of the Photography Intern
As an intern you will learn all about nonprofit photography; how to create the most compelling photos, how to effectively document the work and the cause driving it, and how to be culturally sensitive. The internship will combine theoretical and practical learning, to allow you to put your newly developed skills into practice.
Each week, you will be matched with a non-profit organisation, and provide valuable assistance by taking and developing impactful photos that help to highlight the organisation’s cause. Your time will be spent with 2-3 other photographers, and evenly divided between photographing the work, and editing your photos. You will have the support and guidance of a professional photographer throughout the duration of the internship, who will help you hone your skills and prepare you for each assignment.
What skills do I need to be a Photography Intern in South Africa?
You need to have basic technical camera skills, a good camera, and some photography experience. You do not need to be a seasoned professional and we will adapt your projects to your photography level. You must have a passion for photography and using it for positive change. You must bring your own DSLR or mirrorless camera. We also advise bringing a range of lenses (although this is not a requirement).
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Where will I work in South Africa?
Cape Town is a port city with a powerful history, beautiful beaches, iconic mountains and a vibrant culture. You will be based at a comfortable volunteer house in the heart of Cape Town and within walking distance of a range of shops, cafes and restaurants.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2+ weeks
- Cost: £2501/$3816 for 8 weeks
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Working hours: Monday-Friday, 4-5 hours per day
- Project availability: Speak to your Kaya advisor
- Arrival day: Sunday
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room in a volunteer house
- Food: 2 meals per day, Monday to Friday (breakfast and dinner)
- Airport: pick-up and drop-off from/to Cape Town International Airport
- Access to personal online Kaya Community account including:
- Pre-departure information pack for “country”
- Fundraising Guide
- How to Manage your Money Abroad Guide
- Learning Reflection Guide
- Cultural and safety orientation and project induction
- Workshop and mentorship from a professional humanitarian photography
- Support: 24-hour support including emergency contact numbers from local team
- Excursion Planning assistance from local staff (activity prices may be extra)
- Certificate on completion of your internship placement
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Transport to/from project
- Food: lunch and meals on weekends
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Routine vaccinations
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Join the clean and renewable energy internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally or economically, depending on your field!
Join our 10 or 7-week environment conservation and community development gap year program, and explore South Africa in an exciting and meaningful way!
Join the sustainability internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally, economically or culturally depending on your field!
Join the nursing and medical internship in South Africa, shadow professionals locally to develop your own skills and learn about healthcare.