Grasp the opportunity to gain invaluable first-hand experience of the NGO sector, by joining this international development and fundraising internship in Swaziland. Work with a local team at an established foundation and learn about many essential aspects of NGO management, community development and donor funding. Many organisations are reliant on donations and grants and fundraising is an essential role that is expanding in the sector, as the number of competitors in the market expand. Gain an insight into the skills and techniques necessary to run a successful NGO professional and put yourself ahead of your peers by having direct international development experience.
Why choose this project?
The foundation will benefit from fresh ideas and skills when interns join them on this international development and fundraising internship in Swaziland. You may also bring local knowledge from your own country or region about fundraising or grant-writing that leads to extra income for the foundation. You will have the remarkable opportunity to work on the front line of a project that is helping local communities and learn about the approaches taken to support them. The skills and experience that you learn will be a fantastic addition to your CV/Resume.
Role of the volunteer
During your internship you will work with the staff at a reputable foundation in Swaziland to help with tasks linked to the day to day running of the NGO. You may be involved in the following activities during your internship:
- Conducting research into potential donors and donor organisations and creating a database of opportunities for funding
- Assisting with writing funding proposals and reports to be sent to funders
- Assisting with day-to-day management of the sponsorship program, including contacting sponsors, processing payments, and uploading information into database and websites
- Updating of website and social media to promote activities and creating funding campaigns
- Attend or organise community meetings and events to build relations
Potential study related outcomes from this internship include learning how to:
- Research funding and sponsorship opportunities locally and internationally, and how to write funding/grant proposals and reports to demonstrate use of funding to international donors
- Manage a school sponsorship program, liaising with donors, children and educational institutions, and managing finances
- Develop strategies to monitor and evaluate the impact of activities implemented as a result of donor grants or sponsorship
- Promote, network and market a non-for profit organisation
- Work with the local community to ensure development activities are meeting the needs of local people and are sustainable
You will be asked to attend weekly review meetings, and will have the support of a mentor. At the end of your placement you will share your experiences with the local team in the form of a presentation so bring your laptop. What a fantastic opportunity to develop your CV/Resume!
Interns should be studying international relations, development or management or be considering a move into the international development sector. You will be working at a more strategic level helping to develop the capacity of the organisation and helping with fundraising efforts. Be prepared to use your creative and writing skills. You will be supported during your placement by a dedicated mentor but will have the opportunity and be expected to use your own initiative throughout. Bring a positive attitude and a willingness to work as part of a team to make the most out of this placement. You will be asked to submit a full CV/resume and a motivation letter when you apply plus any evidence that will support your application. You will be asked to discuss your expectations and suitability for this internship in a telephone interview.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To learn about NGO management and fundraising in context
Lean how you can assist a local NGO in its efforts to continue its valuable community work
To gain an insight into Swazi culture through work and travel
Interns are based in the Ezulwini Valley in Swaziland where you can learn about traditional life at the cultural village, hike the beautiful hills or relax at a hot spring. Spend your evenings relaxing, or head out for dinner in town. On the weekends why not join a safari, or just relax by the pool. Visits to the beaches of Mozambique or a safari in Kruger national park are also possible from Swaziland. There are plenty of new experiences for all interns.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4 – 24 weeks
- Cost: £1601 / $2802 for 4 weeks
additional weekly prices can be found in the drop-down menu
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Ezulwini, Swaziland
- Project activities: write fundraising proposals, review grant sources, contact sponsors, process payments, update website and social media with events
- Working hours: 8.00 – 17.00.
- Project availability: All year round, except
- 2 weeks at Christmas
- Arrival day: 1st Monday of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: Dorm accommodation in a house with 4-8 others, communal areas, kitchen, and swimming pool.
- Food: 3 meals per day
- Scheduled airport pick up and drop off from OR Tambo airport in Johannesburg for Swaziland placements
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation, cultural tour and project induction provided
- Support: 24-hour support from on-site coordinator
- Assistance with planning your weekend excursions from local staff
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Daily transfers to and from the project
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Gain meaningful work experience in an area relevant to your potential career choice and participate in the Travel and Tourism Internship in Asia.
Intern on this political science internship and work on
Learn about public sector and public administration in Ghana while interning for a public office.
Kaya Journalism Internship in Ghana provides participants the opportunity to learn and share in their field of interest while giving back to a local community.
Develop and share your business skills by participating in this microfinance internship in Africa.
If you are under 18 join this initiative Volunteering for 16 and 17 Year Olds in Swaziland
Develop and share your knowledge of healthy eating, cooking methods and the impact of diet on childhood development and growth by joining this nutrition internship in Swaziland.
Share this small business development internship in South Africa to extend your CV/Resume while developing the capacity of a social enterprise.
Become a sports coach and volunteer in Swaziland. Coach disadvantaged children to play football, soccer, tennis, volleyball, netball and more.