Spend your school holidays doing something different by signing up for volunteering for 16 and 17 year olds in Swaziland. Working in the heart of communities in the Ezulwini Valley you will be assisting local staff with projects supporting impoverished children from the communities. The activities are located at 7 pre-schools which are funded by the project and coordinated with local community leaders. The centers welcome children who are orphans, or whose parents are unable to work or on a very low income and are identified by the community as needing support. The project goal is to provide children with access to early years education at safe centers, where their nutrition, education and development needs are addressed.
The project offers three elements; sports, building and gardening and education (for those staying 4 weeks or longer). Sports addresses confidence building, fine and gross motor skill development, team games, football, hula hooping, skipping and swimming. The building project focuses on developing the grounds and structures through cementing, painting, digging and repair work as well as planting trees to help with nutritional needs. If you join the education placement you will assist teachers following an early years curriculum, reading stories and helping in class. In the mornings the projects focus on the main activities and then in the afternoon there are a range of community based activities to join. These include after school and reading clubs. This is a great location with project activities focused on children who deserve a better start in life. Volunteer in Swaziland and help the project and communities with their efforts to make this happen.
Why choose this project?
You will have an amazing time developing your understanding of the challenges that face many young people around the world and perhaps learn to appreciate more the opportunities and life you have at home. The project and communities will benefit from having enthusiastic and vibrant young people to help develop the centers and activities. For your CV/resume you will be able to say that you developed your independence skills, became more of a global citizen and improved your communication skills through volunteering alongside a range of nationalities.
Role of the volunteer
Depending on the project focus that you select you may get involved in the following activities:
- building – making local bricks and building school structures , preparing land for planting crops, planting trees, painting classrooms and play structures, repairing fences and structures
- sports – circle time games and actions, relay races, football, swimming, horse
- education – working with small groups, reading stories, running activities, preparing lesson content – all with the local teacher (for placements of 4 weeks or longer)
All volunteers will be asked to help with general community activities in the afternoons. This is a good balance for those on the building project as it can be hot and hard work building all day! You are asked to be flexible and work with the local project team ensuring that there are sufficient volunteers supporting the activities. While you are in Swaziland you may wish to add on an organised trip to Kruger to see the amazing Big 5 and more. Why don’t you speak to an advisor to find out how you are able to do this.
You need to come with an open heart and mind to make the most of this volunteering placement. You will be living and working alongside volunteers and local staff from a range of backgrounds which is exciting but can be challenging too. Please come prepared to listen and help where needed and you will have an amazing experience. You will be asked for a telephone interview and to send a CV/resume, reference letter and parental/guardian consent for this project.REQUEST MORE INFO RESERVE YOUR PLACE
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
You are excited about the opportunity to volunteer abroad with like-minded young people
To become more of a global understanding and outlook on life
Because you have a spirit of adventure and love to meet new people
The project is located in the Ezulwini valley Swaziland which is surrounded by beautiful mountains and red dusty villages. This is the cultural heart of Swaziland and is where most of the tourist activities are based. During the week you will probably head for the shopping centre to catch up with friends on social media or relax by the pool. Most volunteers spend their evenings playing games, listening to music or watching DVDs. On the weekends you can visit the national sports stadium, national museum, and craft centres such as Malandela, Swazi candles and Mantenga. You can even learn how to drum! Volunteers love to hike up the hills to take amazing photos.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 -12 weeks
- Cost: £1100 / $1925 for 2 weeks
Extra weeks fees vary
- Requirements: age 16+
- Location: Swaziland, Southern Africa
- Project activities: Constructing basic shelters, gardening, painting at care centres, or circle games, relay races, swimming classes, helping teachers
- Working hours: 08:30 – 15:00 Monday – Friday
- Project availability: Projects start 1st Monday of each month. Project closed during the months of January, August and December
- Arrival day: 1st Monday of the month, additional date mid July
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room in a volunteer house, communal space, kitchen, TV room and small pool.
- Food: 3 meals per day – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Airport pickup and drop off from OR Tambo airport in Johannesburg, SA
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site Orientation and project induction provided
- Support: 24 hour support from on-site coordinator
- Teaching manual
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Daily transfers to and from your project. This will cost approximately 20 Rand per day (£1.50)
Easy 3-step application process
SPEAK TO A PLACEMENT ADVISOR
Contact us through the website, via email or phone. Our experienced staff are ready to help.
Apply online and pay your project security deposit. Our advisers will then contact you to guide you through the final steps.
REVIEW PROJECT DOCUMENTATION
Once you have applied we will send you more information and details about your project
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourseleves on providing you high quality project information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.