What is Political Science Internship in Belize all about?
The Political Science internship in Belize is an exclusive chance to gain experience abroad in international relations, while witnessing first-hand how foreign government may differ from the one you are familiar with back home. The political system in Belize is following a parliamentary representative democratic monarchy framework established by the British as a commonwealth country. Unfortunately, despite safeguard in place by the constitution, the system and all branches of the government are very fragile risking the government involvements and facing corruption. The Political Science internship in Belize works with a group of people that has formed a minority party that believe in real democracy, freedom of speech and anti corruption practices. The party was founded in 2013, and therefore has enough support to be running in the next election.
Why choose this Political Science Internship in Belize?
- Learn about the political system in Belize and the limitations minority parties face daily to push institutional reforms forward.
- Expand your international relations in your field while adding relevant experience to your resume / CV.
- Discover a new culture other than your own and make new friends as you get to learn about local foods and culture.
Role of the Intern
As a Political Science Intern in Belize, you will be working on one of the minority party’s leader campaign towards the election of 2025. As the election approaches, the internship tasks will vary, but some major initiatives will involved collecting information from the local communities, looking at campaign strategy, and ways to fundraise in a limited resource country. As the intern, you will be working directly with party executives advising them on your experience in your country, brainstorming new ideas, and conducting research for them as needed.
What skills do I need to be a Political Science Intern in Belize?
An interest in politics is essential for this internship, as well as a level of maturity to be working with the party executives themselves. You will be required to submit a cover letter for this placement and undergo an interview prior to being accepted on the placement.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To support a local campaign to fight corruption
To share your experience of the political system in your country
Learn about your field of study in a different setting
Where will I work in Belize?
The Political Science Internship in Belize is based in San Ignacio and the surrounding communities for campaigning purposes. San Ignacio is located 2 hours from the capital, Belize City, and it is known locally as Cayo. The town is very diverse with a mix of Creole, Maya and Mestizo populations. San Ignacio is a vibrant traveler’s destination set among pleasant tropical hills.
Your accommodation will be based within 5 minute walk away from the market town of San Ignacio. You will live amongst the family located on site, and will have the opportunity to socialize with them and learn about Belizean culture. The house has enough rooms to host other interns and volunteers, so there will be plenty of opportunity to socialize with like-minded individuals.
San Ignacio offers plenty of excursions to go explore during your free time. We suggest you check the Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave or plan a day to visit archaeological site like Xunantunich, Tikal amongst others in the area. Tubing is also a popular activity in the area if you enjoy relaxing while enjoying the scenery.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4+ weeks
- Cost: £3065 / $4904 for 4 weeks. See drop-down menu for additional weekly pricing.
- Requirements: Age 17+
- Location: San Ignacio, Belize
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, 6 to 8 hours per day
- Project availability: All year round
- Arrival day: Saturday
What is included
- Accommodation: shared room in volunteer house
- Food: 3 meals per day; light breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and a cooked evening meal. Volunteers take it in turns once a week preparing something from their own country
- Airport pickup and drop off at Belize City International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure manual, learning reflection manual, orientation and project induction provided, Learning Reflection Document, Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
- Support: 24 hour support
- Excursion Planning: Assistance with booking weekend activities (activity price will be extra). Trips may include; canoeing through jungle, caves, tubing, visit Mayan ruins, hiking and horse riding.
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Refine your photography skills, enhance your CV and help create impactful images for a local NGO in Cape Town
Join Kaya's NGO Development Internship and gain key skills to enhance your CV whilst contributing to impactful work in Livingstone, Zambia.
Learn about non-profit management, community development, social media in promotion, event management and donor funding while experiencing local culture.
Take part in a NGO Management Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Join this organic farming and food security initiative, aimed at providing a sustainable source of healthy foods for young mothers and inner city youth in Belize.
Join this amazing Wildlife Science and Conservation Internship in Belize and get some real insight into conservation in the Caribbeans!
Join the Enchanted Forest Art Therapy Volunteering in Belize and make a positive impact on local children.
Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in a public polyclinic or private hospital that serve the local citizens, regardless of income or social standing.