What is the NGO Business Development Internship in Vietnam all about?
Whether you want to learn about marketing, communication, microfinance, NGO management or event management, we have the right place for you! Join our NGO Business internship in Vietnam and develop your business knowledge by working with a local NGO. Depending on your field of study and your personal interest, you may focus on project funding, project marketing, marketing products locally, microfinance loan identification, NGO strategy, event management or market research.
This internship focuses on helping local Vietnamese doing business and increasing their income, whether it’s concentrating on helping them market their product, helping them identify a source of revenues if they live in a rural area, raising money, etc.
There are several types of NGOs that are looking for assistance and can be matched with your skills and interests. Depending on your specialty, you may be able to:
- Join a communication department to assist with project funding request or project marketing and communication
- Join a project targeting livelihoods for women or farmers and advise them on how to increase their income
- Join a micro-finance project and help increase awareness
- Join a social enterprise or NGO to assist with their sales, marketing, and event development
Why choose this NGO Business Development Internship programme in Vietnam?
You will gain professional on-the-job training, building your own business network, develop project management skills while working directly with an organization that focuses on your specialty. In addition, you will be given a reference letter based on your good performances, as well as a certificate of completion to be used when you start applying for jobs back home. The skills you develop may include data sourcing, research, financial analysis, planning and organizing events, writing, video-making, photo-shooting, etc.
Role of the Business Intern
Your internship will be shaped by the placement that is most suited to your studies. You will work with local experts and may be involved in:
- Market Research Internship – conduct research on different Vietnamese economic sectors, data sourcing, data mining, data crunching, financial data analysis, other duties as requested by research associate and management team.
- Strategic Business Internship – coordinate product development and assist with launching campaign, research product trends and analyze the data to present to the management team.
- Marketing Internship – assist with the planning and implementing of all marketing activities including organizing events, copywriting, proofreading, editing, writing blog posts, making videos, taking photos amongst others.
- Project management Internship – help organize work sessions on project management through controlling quality, lead-time, and productivity.
Interns will be asked to produce an end of placement report or presentation to reflect on your learning and share recommendations with the local project team. It is recommended that you bring a laptop with you to enable you to do this, and other project activities.
What skills do I need to be an Intern in this NGO Business Development project?
If you are studying or have experience in any field of business, this is a placement for you. You must be diligent, highly motivated and able to manage your time. You will be working with a team, so good communication and team working competencies are important. You will be asked to send your CV/resume to identify your skills, experience, and interests before being accepted onto this internship.
Travel during COVID times
The health and safety of our travelers and our local communities remain central to our plans for reopening countries and projects. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been adapting our programs and protocols to protect all those involved, and ask for everyone’s patience and collaboration as new rules are implemented in-country. For all projects, new standards of sanitation, procedures and social behaviors are in place, including new health and hygiene protocols and social distancing practices. You can read more here. Each location may be slightly different in the way they operate. We encourage you to inquire to your placement advisor to learn more about your specific project as you plan for your responsible return to travel!
RECRUITING FOR LATE 2021
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To gain on-the-job training
To expand your professional network
To add an experience abroad on your resume
Where will I work in Vietnam?
About the Location
Depending on your specialty, you will be placed in either Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh.
Ho Chi Minh (formerly known as Saigon) is well known for being very high energy. The chaos of the city mixes with the timeless alleys, traditional temples and modern malls and skyscrapers. Ho Chi Minh is Vietnam’s largest city and is the country centre of commerce.
Hanoi is known to be a cultural city and very multicultural and cosmopolitan with a lot of expats. It is the capital city of Vietnam and has a very different vibe from ho Ci Minh City. Because the city was less affected by the war, the Vietnamese cultural influence is much more noticeable.
Your home setting will depend on your accommodation choice. The default accommodation is a shared studio apartment. However, for an additional cost, you may choose to stay in a homestay or have your individual room in an apartment.
What to do in your spare time
If you are based in Ho Chi Minh City, make sure you take a dinner cruise on the Saigon River aboard. Also hit the most famous markets, Ben Tanh Market, located in district 1. There are more than 3000 stalls, but make sure to bargain as the prices tend to be inflated for tourists! if you are a history buff, you will have plenty of museums and palaces to visit. Make sure to visit a pagoda as well to see gorgeous Vietnamese sculptures.
If you are in Hanoi, take a walk around the Hoan Kiem Lake and enjoy the sight of the famous pagoda. Visit the Bach Ma Temple, or go up the Lotte Tower Observation Deck. Roam around the Old Quarter or enjoy some outdoor activities by going on eco tours in the surrounding countryside areas like Halong Bay.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 8 to 24 weeks. Minimum of 8 weeks recommended to have better chances to find a placement and get the most out of the experience
- Cost: £3174 / $4955 for 8 weeks
£199 / $310 for each extra week
(A total deposit of £550 / $880 is required to secure your space on this specific placement)
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, Vietnam
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week
- Project availability: All year round apart, intern activities differ during Lunar New Year (23-29 Jan 2020)
- Arrival day: First and Third Thursdays of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: individual studio or individual room in a shared apartment with 3 other students/young professional.
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Ho Chi Minh International Airport
- Training: pre-departure pack, pre-departure & on-site orientation including cultural awareness & learning reflection document
- A local buddy
- Local phone with Vietnamese SIM
- Project certificate on completion of the final presentation
- 24-hour support
- City tour:
- cultural excursion (for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta)
- departure meal
- Visa processing fee and guidance
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Transfers to and from your placement
- Electricity bills
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Take part in a NGO Management Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Join the sustainability internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally, economically or culturally depending on your field!
Intern in for a local social enterprise promoting financial independence through indigenous traditions in Peru
Intern in a local school and gain some teaching experience in Peru
Combine study abroad and volunteering for a semester in Vietnam
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Medical and Healthcare Internship in Vietnam
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Occupational Therapy Internship in Vietnam at a recovery centre
Develop your knowledge of the theory and practical elements in tackling global warming on this Climate Change Internship in Vietnam