What is the Urban Greening & Horticulture Internship in South Africa all about?
Participate in promoting environmental awareness within African Communities, and combating Climate Change and develop your own knowledge and skills by joining this exciting urban greening and horticulture internship in South Africa. Join an exciting and fast-growing Environmental Social Enterprise and put your greening ideas and skills to use through a project focused on urban greening, reforestation, and eco-education. Inspire people from around the world and make greening enjoyable.
The Urban Greening and Horticulture project revolces around planting trees in under-greened areas of Cape Town like schools, community gardens and churches.Not only trees are planted, but also indigenous vegetation. Local children are involved in every step of the way, giving them a true sense of ownership of their garden, inspiring curiosity and fostering enthusiasm towards a greener environment.
The project involve the community heavily to get them invested in their future by getting their hands dirty, learning a lot and loving it!
Why choose this Urban Greening & Horticulture Internship?
If you love working with plants and want to learn more this internship could be perfect for you! Perhaps you are studying conservation, horticulture, permaculture, urban greening, landscaping, etc and would love the chance to work for an organisation where this is their focus. Or maybe you are a keen gardener who has lots of experience you would like to share as well as working on efforts to educate communities about the importance of plants in protecting our planet. Whatever your status the project team will welcome your enthusiasm and experience to help with their goal of tackling climate change and making our world a nicer place.
Role of the Urban Greening & Horticulture Intern
During your urban greening and horticulture internship you will work alongside specialists in their field. The schedule may vary depending on the needs of the project but may include:
- Assist with special planting days that involves the entire community and liase with suppliers and sites including conduct on-site visits to prepare for the landscaping days.
- Capture data via photography and process information and write report accordingly and as needed.
- Get involved in research and landscape planning.
- Working at the tree nursery, helping with tree care, plant care, vegetable growing, upkeep, compost and worm management, food gardening, seedlings, etc.
- Assisting with strategising and building infrastructures at the tree nursery
- Planning and problem solving to ensure sustainability and best practices regarding growing and planting. Also involving curriculum writing and educational content writing.
- Assist in planning, managing and participating in planting days and other fun green events that are happening around town.
All activities are variable and dependant on weather and technical level of interns. You will have plenty of opportunities to develop your skills and knowledge, and to improve your CV/resume.
During your internship, you will be supported by an intern coordinator and supervised by a member of staff on your placement. Regular reviews of your placement will be held.
Learn more about the urban garden by clicking here.
What skills do I need to be a Urban Greening & Horticulture Intern in South Africa?
Interns should have experience of gardening and vegetable growing as well as have had some practice identifying trees and seed propagation. Some studies should also have been attempted in a related field. You must have a keen interest in environmental issues.
Interns are asked to bring their own laptop if possible.
A full CV/resume will be requested upon application to assess your suitability for the programme. Documentation will be required to support your application including a letter of motivation. You will be asked to attend a telephone interview as there is a selection process for this placement.
Travel during COVID times
The health and safety of our travelers and our local communities remain central to our plans for reopening countries and projects. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been adapting our programs and protocols to protect all those involved, and ask for everyone’s patience and collaboration as new rules are implemented in-country. For all projects, new standards of sanitation, procedures and social behaviors are in place, including new health and hygiene protocols and social distancing practices. You can read more here. Each location may be slightly different in the way they operate. We encourage you to inquire to your placement advisor to learn more about your specific project as you plan for your responsible return to travel!
RECRUITING FOR LATE 2022
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To develop your skills and knowledge of horticulture
To contribute to global efforts to combat climate change
To extend your love of gardening and plants
Where will I work in South Africa?
Staying in Cape Town you will have access to all that it has to offer which ranges from wine tasting, skydiving, beaches, museums, visiting trendy neighbourhoods to searching for penguins. A must is a visit to the world famous Table Mountain, which offers an incredible view of the city and its surroundings. You will never be short of things to do during your time off, whether it is sitting in a cafe or wine bar and watching the world go by, or heading off for something a little more adventurous like cage diving with Great White Sharks or sky diving over the city. Whatever your interests Cape Town has plenty to offer, to ensure that not only your internship placement, but that your free time is a truly memorable experience.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 8-26 weeks
- Cost: £2158 / $3369 for 8 weeks
Please enquire about weekly pricing
- Requirements: Age 20+
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Working hours: 3-5 days per week, 6 hours a week. You may be asked to help during weekend activities too.
- Project availability: All year round, except 2 weeks at Christmas
- Arrival day: Every 1st or 3rd Monday of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: Dorm accommodation in a volunteer house, kitchen and 2 bathrooms.
- Scheduled airport pick up and drop off from Cape Town International Airport on a Monday
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation, project induction provided
- Support: 24 hour support from on-site coordinator
- Free water bottle
- Assistance with planning your weekend excursions from local staff
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Food or drinks
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Join our 8-week wildness gap year program and discover more about both yourself and South Africa!
Join our 8-week wildlife conservation and community development gap year program, and explore South Africa in an exciting and meaningful way!
Join the sustainability internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally, economically or culturally depending on your field!
Join the nursing and medical internship in South Africa, shadow professionals locally to develop your own skills and learn about healthcare.
Join our social work internship in South Africa and get involved in a local community while developing your professional skills in a different environment.