What is the Social Justice Internship in Ecuador all about?
Join our Social Justice Internship program and help the equal distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges within Ecuadorian society become a reality. As a social justice intern in Ecuador, you will contribute to the ultimate goal where everyone has equal economic, political and social rights and opportunities.
Unfortunately, economic policies in Latin America have created some of the most inequitable societies in the world. Ecuador faces chronic human rights challenges, including weak institutions, poor prison conditions, violence against women, far-reaching restrictions on women’s and girls’ access to reproductive health care, and disregard for indigenous rights. Furthermore, massive Venezuelan immigration is posing urgent challenges, and there have been a series of xenophobic violent attacks and harassment against Venezuelans in recent years. Despite some new political openness in Ecuador, regional development continues to exclude large parts of the population.
The Social Justice Internship in Ecuador works with a multitude of local organizations in the areas of human rights, housing rights, nature rights, LGBTQ+ rights, gender violence and gender rights. Interns are matched to an organization based on their skills, experience and interests. Celebrate diversity in the communities in Ecuador as you work with Kaya as a social justice intern.
This program offers a fantastic opportunity to gain experience in areas such as human rights, social work, psychology, research, communication and non-profit development depending on your future career aspirations!
Role of the Social Justice Intern
This program gives interns a chance to make an impact on a variety of social justice issues faced by the Ecuadorian community. Intern with a local organization and help combat the real social justice issues they are facing. Which NGO you are placed with will depend on your studies, skill set, interests and desired learning outcomes.
If you’re passionate about LGBTQ+ rights then support a shelter that provides legal and psychological assistance, medical services along with a safe meeting place and social activities.
Alternatively, intern with an NGO that promotes indigenous communities rights, tackles gender-based violence and advocates for the rights of nature in regard to mining and petroleum exploitation
If land development and justice interest you then you could be placed with an NGO focused on community development and the right to housing, drinkable water and sanitation systems with sustainable, and responsible citizen-based approaches.
Why choose this social justice placement in Quito?
- Whether you are passionate about land development, female empowerment, LGBTQ+ rights, access to clean water or the protection of indigenous communities, gain experience with local Ecuadorian organizations in the areas of prevention, advocacy, victim support, and rehabilitation.
- Ensure the full exercise of civil, political, social, economic, cultural, and environmental rights for the population of Ecuador, and help create a more educated and sensitive society.
- Delve into local social justice issues and help with new initiatives to tackle them.
- Gain a professional insight that can support your future career whilst making a clear contribution to the overall goals and mission of the organization you are supporting
What skills do I need to be a Social Justice intern in Ecuador?
In order to be accepted on this social justice internship in Ecuador, you will be asked to go through an interview process to determine your eligibility and place you with an organization accordingly. Flexibility, patience, willingness to learn, dedication and passion for social justice are essential. Please come open-minded with a sensitive and respectful approach. Lastly, you should also possess the equivalent of an A2 beginner Spanish Level.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To get involved in social justice issues Ecuadorian are facing
Give confidence to those fighting their causes at the local level
Develop your Spanish language and immerse yourself in Ecuadorian life
Where will I work in Ecuador?
About the Location
The organizations are located in and around central Quito, the capital city of Ecuador. It is the world’s second highest city and was named as a world heritage site because of its historic and cultural significance. Quito is surrounded by natural beauty with the extraordinary mountains, lushly forested hills and a fertile valley.
Your accommodation in Quito will be with a local host family. You will have your own room in a traditional Ecuadorian house with all regular amenities.
What to do in your spare time
Quito is a vibrant city and in the center you will find museums, art and historic architecture. At night enjoy the many restaurants, bars and live music performances. Quito also offers easy access to the cloud-forest and Amazon jungle for weekend excursions. Whether you’re into history, adventure, or local food & nightlife, Quito offers fun things to do for nearly any interest, with the rest of Ecuador on your doorstep.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4-12 weeks
- Cost: £2292/ $3577 for 4 weeks
£277 / $432 for each additional week
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Quito, Ecuador
- Working hours: Monday-Friday, 6 hours a day
- Project availability: All Year Round from Spring 2021
- Arrival day: Every other Friday
What is included
- Accommodation: Homestay with a family in Quito
- Food: 2 meals per day
- Stay in a hostel for 1 night in Quito
- Airport pick up and drop off in Quito
- Training: Pre-departure preparation pack, and orientation on Saturday
- Support: 24-hour support from an on-site coordinator
- Assistance with planning your weekend excursions from local staff
What is not included
- Daily transfers to and from the project
- Optional 6 hrs per week Spanish classes available; £55 / $88 (alongside your placement)
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Optional intensive Spanish classes 1-week programme £456 / $712 including accommodation
- Optional excursion on the Sunday on your arrival weekend. Please speak to an advisor if you want to know more.
|June||7th, 14th, 21st|
Easy 4-step application process
Apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Join this organic farming and food security initiative, aimed at providing a sustainable source of healthy foods for young mothers and inner city youth in Belize.
Join our 10 or 7-week environment conservation and community development gap year adventure program, and explore Costa Rica in an exciting and meaningful way!
Join our 10 or 7-week environment conservation and community development gap year program, and explore South Africa in an exciting and meaningful way!
Join Kaya's NGO Development Internship and gain key skills to enhance your CV whilst contributing to impactful work in Livingstone, Zambia.
Join Kaya's whale and dolphin conservation internship on the Pacific Coast of Ecuador to protect habitats and species.
Combine study abroad and intern this fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and service-learning in fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and service-learning this fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and intern this fall or spring in Ecuador