What is the Media and Graphic Design Internship at an NGO In South Africa all about?
Already an award winning NGO, the project has developed a strong online presence through its various social media channels. As the organization actively engages with large audiences, it puts a strong emphasis on having well-designed communication material and they often have a need for photography, videography, graphic design, amongst other media related items. The organisation is always looking for new promotional materials and methods for their online presence. As a media and graphic design intern, you will have a fantastic opportunity to be involved in the process, from conception to design and delivery.
Why choose this Media and Graphic Design Internship at an NGO project?
As an intern you will gain invaluable experience to support your studies if you are a student. You will indeed take part in content creation and the storytelling of a not-for-profit project. You will be able to contribute to the activities of a real business which will look great on your CV/resume. The local project will benefit from a different creative perspective and help with an important function which can help to raise funds and promote the organisation.
Role of the Media and Graphic Design Intern
During your internship you will work alongside specialists in the field who are passionate about the project’s goals. The Media and Graphic Design Intern, will provide a young, fresh, and fun look, so it is important that you resonate with this style, and are able to contribute to developing it. Activities in which interns are involved include:
- Graphic Design – Creating of content for social media, web and print.
- Photography – taking pictures of the planting days the organization organizes, workshops and special events.
- Videography and editing – creating videos for workshops, programs, events and other activities including making storyboards, pre-and post- production materials.
- Participating in planting days and other fun green events that are organised by the project
All activities are variable and dependant on project needs and the technical level of interns at the time of the placement but are sure to give you an interesting insight into the workings of marketing and design based activities in an African NGO. During your placement you will be supported by an intern coordinator and a member of the project. Weekly reviews will be held to answer any questions and to review your progress.
To learn more about the urban nursery that is so important to this project click here.
What skills do I need to be a Media and Graphic Design Intern in South Africa?
Interns should have some experience in marketing, and a knowledge of social media platforms for this placement, as this placement is an opportunity for you to develop and put into practice your skills and knowledge. A fresh approach is sought and therefore fresh eyes are needed. Photoshop, illustrator and Mac experience in graphic design is a requirement. Videography and editing experienses are also greatly appreciated. Strong conceptualising, branding and creative skills are sought. It is recommended that interns bring their own laptop.
There is a selection process for this internship. You will be asked to submit a full CV/resume upon application plus any documentation that will support your application. This must include a letter of motivation and a link to a portfolio of your work. You will be asked to attend a telephone interview to discuss your experience and assess your suitability for this internship.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Where will I work in South Africa?
Details & Costs
- Duration: 8-26 weeks
- Cost: £1944 / $3035 for 8 weeks
£141 / $220 each week for additional weeks
- Requirements: Age 20+
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Working hours: 3-5 days per week, 6 hours a week. You may be asked to help during weekend activities too.
- Project availability: All year round, except 2 weeks at Christmas
- Arrival day: Every 1st or 3rd Monday of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: Dorm accommodation in a volunteer house with 2 shared bathrooms, balcony and well-equipped kitchen
- Scheduled airport pick up and drop off from Cape Town International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation and project induction provided
- Support: 24-hour support from on-site coordinator
- Free water bottle
- Assistance with planning your weekend excursions from local staff
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Food and drinks (many cafes and restaurants available locally)
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Intern in for a local social enterprise promoting financial independence through indigenous traditions in Peru
Intern in a local school and gain some teaching experience in Peru
Participate in the farmers' economic empowerment internship in Uganda and contribute to the expansion of local farming businesses
Intern on this Microfinance and Entrepreneurship Training for Communities in Uganda placement and contribute to the training of local entrepreneurs.
Join our social work internship in South Africa and get involved in a local community while developing your professional skills in a different environment.
Join our human trafficking internship in South Africa and get involved with a local community on a worthy cause.
Join our hospital and healthcare internship in South Africa and get involved in a local community while developing your professional skills and learning about healthcare in an African context.
Join our occupational therapy in South Africa placement and get involved in a local community while learning about a different other than your own.
Take a hands-on role in reforestation and environmental education by volunteering on this mass action project in South Africa this summer.