What is the Occupational Therapy Internship in Vietnam all about?
Come to Ho Chi Minh City and gain incredible, first-hand experience of the diagnosis and treatment of patients in a leading medical centre!
Why choose this Occupational Therapy Internship programme in Vietnam?
While you will be providing an extra pair of hands to support patients, you will gain hands-on experience to support your studies and be provided with professional job training. Use knowledge gained through your studies or practical experience to apply to this incredible internship. The project benefits by having bright, motivated interns who share working practices, technology and strategies from their home countries.
Your internship will be shaped by the priorities and patients at the time of your placement, but you will have the opportunity to see a range of ailments and therapies in practice. You will follow a programme similar to the following:
- Week 1-3 Introduction and physiotherapy room
- Week 4-6 Occupational therapy room
- Week 7-8 Electro therapy room
- Week 9-10 Shadow doctors making diagnosis in neurology, trauma and neuromuscular diseases
You will work alongside locally trained staff and will be supervised by the occupational therapist in a hospital setting. All interns are asked to produce an end of placement report or presentation to reflect on your learning and share recommendations with the local project team. It is recommended that you bring a laptop with you to enable you to do this and other project activities.
What skills do I need to be an Occupational Therapist Intern in Vietnam?
If you are studying or have experience in medicine, human physiology or occupational health this is an excellent placement for you. You must be diligent, highly motivated and able to manage your time. Good communication skills and team working competencies are important too. You will be asked to send your CV/resume to identify your skills, experience and interests as part of the internship recruitment placement.
Travel during COVID times
The health and safety of our travelers and our local communities remain central to our plans for reopening countries and projects. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been adapting our programs and protocols to protect all those involved, and ask for everyone’s patience and collaboration as new rules are implemented in-country. For all projects, new standards of sanitation, procedures and social behaviors are in place, including new health and hygiene protocols and social distancing practices. You can read more here. Each location may be slightly different in the way they operate. We encourage you to inquire to your placement advisor to learn more about your specific project as you plan for your responsible return to travel!
RECRUITING FOR 2022
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Because you have a genuine interest in different approaches to therapy following surgery
To gain practical and shadowing experience in a recovery hospital setting
Because you have a genuine interest in supporting those in regaining mobility
Where will I work in Vietnam?
Living in bustling Ho Chi Minh City, you will have opportunities to explore how the new and the old mix of Vietnam mix. With restaurants, food stands and motorbikes in abundance, there is plenty to tempt you. Explore museums, art galleries, temples and of course, the local shopping malls! At weekends, head outside the city to explore the underground world of the infamous Chu Chi Tunnels. If you want to get away from the bustle and bustle, head to the beach – perhaps Nha Trang or Danang. Lastly, allow time at the end of your trip to take a train to the north and see more of this stunning country such as Hanoi and Halong Bay.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4 weeks. Minimum of 8 weeks recommended to have better chances to find a placement and get the most out of the experience
- Cost: £2750/$4293 for 4 weeks
A minimum deposit of £650 / $1040 is required to secure your place. However, it may vary depending on your location and placement. Speak to your Kaya advisor for more information
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi, Vietnam
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week
- Project availability: All year round. Intern activities differ during Lunar New Year
- Arrival day: First and Third Thursdays of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: individual studio apartment or individual room in a shared apartment with 3 other students/young professional.
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Ho Chi Minh International Airport
- Training: pre-departure pack, pre-departure & on-site orientation, including cultural awareness & learning reflection document
- 24-hour support
- A local buddy
- Local phone with Vietnamese SIM
- Project certificate on completion of the final presentation
- City tour:
- cultural excursion (for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta)
- departure meal
- Visa processing fee and guidance
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Transfers to and from your placement
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Learn about the Moroccan healthcare system while shadowing laboratory staff at a private clinic
Supplement your class-based learning by joining this psychology internship in Jamaica, and gain hands-on, practical experience.
Come to Cape Coast and work in a laboratory in a local hospital supporting a local Ghanaian community.
Take part in a Psychology and Social Work Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Join this NGO Business Internship in Vietnam and develop your business knowledge by working with local community projects.
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Medical and Healthcare Internship in Vietnam
Develop your knowledge of the theory and practical elements in tackling global warming on this Climate Change Internship in Vietnam
Join this Agriculture Internship in Vietnam and learn about local approaches to improving crop yields, land use, agri policy and more