Join our Occupational Therapy Internship in Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh City and develop your awareness of working practices at a rehabilitation hospital. The hospital is the very first hospital specialising in orthopaedics and rehabilitation in the whole Southern region of Vietnam. Its main mission involves the diagnosis and treatment of patients with orthopaedic issues, or those recovering from trauma surgery and motor function illnesses. The patient demographic is diverse and, since its foundation 28 years ago, the hospital has done almost 10,000 surgeries, provided medical treatment for more than 280,000 people with motor function problems and has manufactured more than 20,500 orthopaedic devices. Approaches to treatment include physiotherapy and electrotherapy.
Come to Ho Chi Minh City and gain incredible, first-hand experience of the diagnosis and treatment of patients in a leading medical centre!
Why choose this project?
While you will be providing an extra pair of hands to support patients, you will gain hands-on experience to support your studies and be provided with professional job training. Use knowledge gained through your studies or practical experience to apply to this incredible internship. The project benefits by having bright, motivated interns who share working practices, technology and strategies from their home countries.
Your internship will be shaped by the priorities and patients at the time of your placement, but you will have the opportunity to see a range of ailments and therapies in practice. You will follow a programme similar to the following:
- Week 1-3 Introduction and physiotherapy room
- Week 4-6 Occupational therapy room
- Week 7-8 Electro therapy room
- Week 9-10 Shadow doctors making diagnosis in neurology, trauma and neuromuscular diseases
You will work alongside locally trained staff and will be supervised by the occupational therapist in a hospital setting. All interns are asked to produce an end of placement report or presentation to reflect on your learning and share recommendations with the local project team. It is recommended that you bring a laptop with you to enable you to do this and other project activities.
If you are studying or have experience in medicine, human physiology or occupational health this is an excellent placement for you. You must be diligent, highly motivated and able to manage your time. Good communication skills and team working competencies are important too. You will be asked to send your CV/resume to identify your skills, experience and interests as part of the internship recruitment placement.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Because you have a genuine interest in different approaches to therapy following surgery
To gain practical and shadowing experience in a recovery hospital setting
Because you have a genuine interest in supporting those in regaining mobility
Living in bustling Ho Chi Minh City, you will have opportunities to explore how the new and the old mix of Vietnam mix. With restaurants, food stands and motorbikes in abundance, there is plenty to tempt you. Explore museums, art galleries, temples and of course, the local shopping malls! At weekends, head outside the city to explore the underground world of the infamous Chu Chi Tunnels. If you want to get away from the bustle and bustle, head to the beach – perhaps Nha Trang or Danang. Lastly, allow time at the end of your trip to take a train to the north and see more of this stunning country such as Hanoi and Halong Bay.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4 weeks
Minimum of 8 weeks recommended to have better chances to find a placement and get the most out of the experience
- Cost: £2207 / $3531 for 4 weeks
£250 / $400 for each extra 2 weeks
A minimum deposit of £645 / $1032 is required to secure your place. However, it may vary depending on your location and placement. Speak to your advisor for more information.
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Project activities: observing electrotherapy sessions, assisting with diagnosis, providing physiotherapy treatment
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week
- Project Availability: all year round, apart from mid-January to mid-February due to Lunar New Year Celebrations
- Arrival day: First and Third Thursdays of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: shared room in a studio apartment with 3 other students/young professional. Option to have an individual studio apartment or homestay for an extra fee. You will have access to wifi and air conditioning as well as a kitchen and fridge in the studio.
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Ho Chi Minh International Airport
- Meals if staying at a homestay
- Training: pre-departure pack, pre-departure & on-site orientation, including cultural awareness & learning reflection document
- 24-hour support
- A local buddy
- Local phone with Vietnamese SIM
- Project certificate on completion of the final presentation
- City tour:
- cultural excursion (for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta)
- departure meal
- Visa processing fee and guidance
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Transfers to and from your placement
- Electricity bills (for studio apartments only)
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
SPEAK TO A PLACEMENT ADVISOR
Contact us through the website, via email or phone. Our experienced staff are ready to help.
Apply online and pay your project security deposit. Our advisers will then contact you to guide you through the final steps.
REVIEW PROJECT DOCUMENTATION
Once you have applied we will send you more information and details about your project
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourseleves on providing you high quality project information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Public Health Internship Ghana is based in a local community around Cape Coast and focuses on prevention.
Join our occupational therapy in South Africa placement and get involved in a local community while learning about a different other than your own.
Ghana Physiotherapist internship is based in a local community supporting treatment centres and dedicated athletes as well as local professional and students.
Experience health promotion and community development through this internship by assisting local staff with the daily challenges facing residents
Gain meaningful work experience in an area relevant to your potential career choice and participate in the Travel and Tourism Internship in Asia.
Combine study abroad and volunteering for a semester in Vietnam
Join this NGO Business Internship in Vietnam and develop your business knowledge by working with local community projects.
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Medical and Healthcare Internship in Vietnam