What is the Veterinary Internship in Ecuador all about?
Join us as on this veterinary internship in Ecuador and contribute to improving the welfare of wildlife while positively developing your CV / Resume. Based in the Amazon rainforest this center has 4 hectares of land used for wildlife rescue, rehabilitation and release. In addition there are a further 70 hectares that have been utilized for release. Founded in 2006 by a local family, they work alongside the Ministry of the Environment and the Environmental Police to implement effective change. The Wildlife is rescued often after experiencing abuse or having been trafficked nationality or regionally. The project staff treat animals using both modern and homeopathic medicines.
Work at the sanctuary undertaken by a local team and a resident veterinarian, includes treatment, nutrition, release and monitoring of species. The sanctuary is home to 200 animals including parrots, monkeys, turtles, wild cats, capybaras, caymans, and many more mammals and birds. It is open to the public and school groups to generate much needed income but the main focus is protection and rescue of species. Join us in Ecuador and gain first hand experience of practices being taken to positively impact these animals. Read more about the project by reading our blog Volunteering in the Amazon Rainforest in Ecuador.
Why choose this Veterinary Internship programme in Ecuador?
As a veterinary, animal science or biology student you will gain hands on experience that supports aspects of your course. You will see a range of areas such as physiology, pharmacology, anaesthesiology, clinical pathology and more. The centre benefits by receiving interns who have knowledge and some training in areas that relate directly to the animals. Taking care of rescued animals is a time consuming task and your help will be appreciated by the community and beyond.
Role of the Conservation Intern
You will have the opportunity to develop a range of skills and knowledge on this internship. Activities vary depending on the needs of the animals and sanctuary at the time of your placement. You will have the opportunity to develop your skills in skills in many areas, all whilst based in an international setting. Activities may include:
- application of preventative treatments including homeopathic medicines
- nutrition and feeding plans appropriate for local species
- reintroduction of animals to their natural habitats and monitoring their progress post release
- testing of animals going through quarantine
- research projects (depending on the length, time and needs at the time of your placement)
Learning outcomes may include:
- understanding of the application of medicines to wild animals and the role of homeopathy
- diagnostics including skin samples, bloods, stool samples etc)
- surgery and the appropriate use of medication and equipment
- habitats of a range of species – what is suitable and the factors necessary to take into account when releasing trafficked or rescued animals back into the wild (e.g. use of camera traps, nets etc)
If you work hard and help where needed you will make the most out of this exciting internship.
What skills do I need to be a Veterinary intern?
This internship is great for undergraduate and graduate students, with a focus on animal science, zoology, or veterinary studies. You must have a good understanding of biology and physiology of the animals at the center. You will work with others so teamwork and good communication skills are important. Proficiency in Spanish (level B1 Intermediate User of CEFR) is highly recommended for this project as you will be working alongside local people. However, beginner learners can also be considered. You will receive feedback about your placement from your supervisor. Please bring a laptop to record your progress during your internship placement and to prepare your end of placement presentation.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Gain practical experience to support your studies in animal sciences, veterinary or zoology
Understand the challenges and processes required in releasing animals back into the wild
Develop your skills in a fantastic setting, home to thousands of species of birds, reptiles and mammals
Where will I work in Ecuador?
You will arrive into Quito and will spend your first few nights here. You will be able to join an optional trip to a volcano on the Sunday should you wish to do so. Your project is located 3 kilometers from the center of Puyo, the capital of Pastaza province, which divides the southern and northern regions in the Amazon. This area has lush tropical rainforest and mists rise from distant mountains. You will spot free roaming monkeys and listen to the sounds of rescued animals and frogs that fill the air. This is a rural location, ideal for interns who want to focus on their placement in a tranquil location. You will live in furnished wooden cabins on site, with communal kitchen and social areas In the evenings, you may want to play cards or darts, read or watch a DVD. There are hammocks around the fire pit, a perfect spot to round off the night in this beautiful location.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4+ weeks
- Cost: £2137/ $3336 for 4 weeks
£252 / $394 for each extra week
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Puyo, Ecuador
- Working hours: Monday – Friday 08.00-12:00 and 14:30 - 17:00. Some hours at the weekends required.
- Project availability: All year round
- Arrival day: See 2024 arrival dates tab
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room in a cabin during your placement
- 3 nights stay in a hostel in Quito
- Food: 2 meals per day Monday to Friday – meals are served in a communal kitchen area with shared evening cooking responsibilities
- Airport pick-up and drop-off in Quito
- Training: Pre-departure pack, on-site orientation on Saturday and project induction
- Excursion planning: staff will help plan activities and excursions (activities may cost extra)
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check
- Transfer back to Quito after placement ends
- Transportation at project site (coordinators will instruct participants on how to use public transport, which is quite cheap)
- Optional intensive Spanish classes 1-week programme £448 / $699 including accommodation
- Optional excursion on the Sunday of your arrival weekend- please speak to an advisor if you want to know more
|7th, 14th, 21st
|no available dates
Easy 4-step application process
Apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Join this Scientific Skills Based Marine Internship in Gansbaai South Africa as and assist world class biologists and researchers.
Join the clean and renewable energy internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally or economically, depending on your field!
Join this organic farming and food security initiative, aimed at providing a sustainable source of healthy foods for young mothers and inner city youth in Belize.
Volunteer in the Amazon or the coast of Ecuador on this environmental conservation project and gain an incredible insight into the bio-diversity of this region.
Combine study abroad and intern this fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and service-learning in fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and service-learning this fall or spring in Ecuador
Combine study abroad and intern this fall or spring in Ecuador
Take part in a Psychology and Social Work Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad