What is the Social Work Internship in South Africa all about?
The Social Work Internship in South Africa takes place in different social work settings in a local community township. The underdeveloped township faces many challenges such as extreme rates of unemployment, poverty and food scarcity. Some of the work settings include children’s home, clinics, NGOs, Women’s health clinics for victims of abuse, homes for chronically ill children and welfare projects.
All projects are dealing with individuals that are suffering from their past, and all aim to nurse the patients back to good mental and physical health.
As a social worker intern, you will shadow and learn from the professional social work team. Much of the work will be determined by the needs of the project at the time of your placement, as well as measuring and identifying key activities that contribute to the patients’ development needs.
Why choose this Social Work Internship placement?
- Work alongside South African professional social workers and gain practical experience and insight that can support your future career.
- Be exposed to social issues that affect patients’ welfare in an African context, including drugs, alcohol abuse, health issue of HIV and TB, as well as teenage pregnancy
- Understand the process of psychological healing and the support required behind the scenes to ensure the individuals’ safety and development.
Role of the Social Worker Intern
During your social work internship in South Africa, you will get the chance to assist South African social professionals with patients assessments, group therapy, home evaluations, support service for those with HIV/AIDS and victims of abuse, charting patient write-ups, amongst other things. You will observe the setup of individuals’ development plans in the care of the current staff and social workers. Also, as a social worker intern, you will be able to observe during meetings with the caregivers, doctors and possible family members. Finally, you may also be asked to present your findings, ideas, suggestions and research to the local team. Overall, you will provide an extra pair of hands for the social workers, reducing their workload and making their jobs more effective.
What skills do I need to be a Social Worker Intern in South Africa?
In order to participate in the social work internship in South Africa, you will be asked to go through an interview process to determine your eligibility. Experience in social sciences is a plus, since it would allow you to take a more active role, but it is not essential. Willingness to learn, empathy, humility, dedication, patience and passion to help others is a must.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To gain practical experience and insight that can support your future career.
Work alongside professional South African occupational therapists
Be exposed to the healthcare system abroad
Where will I work in South Africa?
About the Location
Cape Town is well-known for its table mountain view, vibey bars, cafes, amazing restaurants and of course best surfing beaches! Cape Town has a lot to offer depending on your interests, from beautiful beaches, stunning mountains, diverse regions and a vibrant restaurant scene
Interns live in a private room furnished and equipped in a shared house, in the neighbourhood of Observatory. Cape Town has a lot to offer depending on your interests from surfing to food tasting.
What to do in your spare time
For those wanting to venture further afield, Cape Point where the Indian and Atlantic meets, the vineyards or the local game drives are always popular. There are also lots of cricket grounds and soccer stadiums you can visit for the sports fans!
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4-12 weeks
- Cost: £3139 / $4900 for 4 weeks
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa
- Working hours: Mondays through Fridays, 30 hours per week
- Project availability: Weekly year-round
- Arrival day: Sunday
What is included
- Accommodation: private room furnished and equipped in a local student-house
- Airport: pick-up and drop-off from/to Cape Town International Airport
- Access to personal online Kaya Community account including:
- Pre-departure information pack for “country”
- Fundraising Guide
- How to Manage your Money Abroad Guide
- Learning Reflection Guide
- Healthcare Ethics and Culture Documents
- On the ground training:
- Cultural and safety orientation and project induction
- Weekly culture series
- Weekly social gatherings
- Support: 24-hour support including emergency contact numbers from local team
- Excursion Planning assistance from local staff (activity prices may be extra)
- Certificate on completion of your internship placement diary and presentation to the local team
- Supervision from qualified professional
- Wi-Fi in accommodation
- Laundry in accommodation
What is not included
- Transport to/from project
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Routine vaccinations
- Refundable accommodation damages deposit of $250
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Enhance your learning, develop your skills and jumpstart your career by joining this physiotherapy internship in Vietnam!
Learn about the Moroccan healthcare system while shadowing laboratory staff at a private clinic
Come to Cape Coast and work in a laboratory in a local hospital supporting a local Ghanaian community.
Take part in a Psychology and Social Work Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Join the clean and renewable energy internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally or economically, depending on your field!
Join our 10 or 7-week environment conservation and community development gap year program, and explore South Africa in an exciting and meaningful way!
Refine your photography skills, enhance your CV and help create impactful images for a local NGO in Cape Town
Join the sustainability internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally, economically or culturally depending on your field!
Join the nursing and medical internship in South Africa, shadow professionals locally to develop your own skills and learn about healthcare.