Turing Scheme Schools ProgrammeFully-funded trips of a lifetime in 2024
Welcome to the Travel & Tourism programme – hosted by Kaya Responsible Travel, as part of the UK government’s Turing Scheme.
We are delighted to have been awarded a prestigious Turing Scheme grant that fully funds students and staff to join groups travelling abroad in 2023.
The aim of this programme is to provide students with the opportunity to be exposed to the Travel and Tourism industry in an international setting, while meeting other young people in new and different cultures from different backgrounds to expand horizons and develop educated, compassionate global citizens.
With these Turing scheme funds, we will be offering spaces to students to join this group in Cape-Town, South Africa:
Cape-Town, South Africa
Through our travel and tourism program, our objective is to promote responsible tourism and educate participants on various popular tourism markets, niche markets and developing markets within the industry. To expose participants to guided tours, educate them through locals and develop them by finding their own preferred space within the tourism and travel industry.
Set in one of the most beautiful cities in the world and one of the most culturally diverse countries, South Africa. Cape Town is known for its scenic beauty, wealth of flora and fauna. It is rich in history, has national parks, wine routes, wildlife sanctuaries, nature reserves and friendly people that embrace you as you explore the city and learn about one of its most significant industries, travel, and tourism.
18 spaces will be available for this location, with travel dates of 29 July 2024 – 15 August 2024 (departure and return dates may vary up to 4 days depending on flights.)
At each location, students will be staying in group accommodation and participating in hands-on training within each working area. The aim of this programme is to provide students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and practical skills, while learning about different cultures and environments to expand horizons and develop educated, compassionate global citizens.
All flights will depart from and return to a UK airport, and students will need to make their own arrangements for travel to and from home to the airport.
COVID vaccination and testing requirements will be dependent on each country. Face masks and social distancing could still be in place, dependent on local rules and laws. We will advise closer to departure.
The Turing scheme aims to offer this opportunity to a broad range of students and, while we are looking for students studying related subjects, application evaluation is not based on your grades! We are looking for enthusiastic pupils to take part in this exciting programme. The scheme is fully funded by the UK government, so there will be no cost incurred other than a £250 confirmation fee for successful applicants.
- Click the button below to access the application form – this application form will be the only requirement for consideration for this program
- If you are successful with your application, we strongly advise you look into visa requirements straight away.
- A board of administrators will evaluate all applications to select successful applicants on a rolling basis, so we encourage early application.
- Once successful candidates have been notified, a £250 confirmation fee will be required within the following 2 weeks to confirm the placement (hardship grants will be offered to cover this cost where applicable)
- As part of this program, students will be expected to complete some pre-departure assignments, including online attendance at a pre-departure workshop.
- Flights from the UK Airport will be provided as part of the program, and students will be required to make their own way to the airport on departure, and home from the airport on our return.
If you change your mind about participating for any reason not covered by the insurance, we will do our best to identify an individual to take your place. If one is found, the non-transferable costs (such as the airline cost for changing the name of the traveller, or the new travel insurance policy) will need to be paid by you.If a replacement is not found, then the cost of the non-recoverable costs of the flights and the programme will become your responsibility and those costs will need to be paid by you, because the Turing scheme will not make payment for individuals who drop out of the programme before travelling. These costs could be £2500+ .
Please only pay the deposit if you intend to travel. Make sure that you are available for the dates of your programme and are committed to participating to avoid any extra costs.
31 January 2024