Participate in Child Development Volunteering in India and help with the provision of childcare to disadvantaged children as well as participating in a range of exciting activities essential to Indian culture. India continues to struggle to provide care and education to the increasing number of children born into poverty. Thousands are therefore vulnerable to malnutrition, illiteracy and face a bleak future. Volunteer on this project to help develop the cognitive, academic, emotional and social skills of children from impoverished families by assisting local educators with their daily activities. Activities focused on songs, games, sensory development as well as maths and English aim to meet the goals of the government to improve the holistic development of children in India. Children in India begin school at age 6 and the government is doing more to give access to poorer families by providing lunch at community centres and schools and encourage parents to bring their children to school. The project works with local carers and teachers in slums and informal housing areas and provides daycare and English lessons to children aged 2 – 6 years old. Volunteer and contribute to making a difference in children’s lives as well as gaining a much better understanding of some of the fascinating aspects of Indian culture.
Why choose this project?
- Get an amazing insight into a whole host of problems facing young children in India including underfunding, under-resourced, disability stigma and alike.
- Help ease the burden of the local staff given the educators to children ratio.
- Provide the children with the additional attention they deserve and need.
Role of the volunteer
As a volunteer, you may be placed in a number of different institutions working with children including schools, daycare centres, bridge classes, or a school for children with learning disabilities. As a childcare volunteer, you may be involved in the following activities:
- lead songs and rhymes
- assist with homework
- assist with teaching English vocabulary, the alphabet and basic math skills including shape recognition
- play games and outdoor activities including sports
- monitor child development charts
- assist with sensory development activities
- assist with meal preparation and feeding as well as bathing for the younger ones
Volunteers will follow a timetable arranged by the centre but are welcome to contribute their ideas especially new games, songs and rhymes to help to create fun educational activities for these children. You will work on one project in the morning and a different project in the afternoon. As a volunteer, your activities will vary depending on your skills and the needs in the location of your project at your particular time of volunteering. Duties will be fully assigned to you when you arrive on the project.
Our Child Development Volunteering in India placement is open to all volunteers. As you are working with children, volunteers should be outgoing, enthusiastic and have a genuine interest in children. Bring ideas and a willingness to work with local staff to help to make educational activities fun, diverse and exciting. You will be asked to send your CV/resume before being accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
You can help improve the futures of disadvantaged children
To create fun educational activities for children
To experience India’s fascinating culture
You have the option to volunteer in either Goa, with its stunning beaches or the beautiful bustling Pink City of Jaipur. Goa, well known for its beautiful beaches and luscious palm trees, has a distinct cultural vibe with its own unique music, food and climate. Jaipur, located in Rajasthan, is known as the Pink City because of the beautiful colour of the stone used exclusively to build the walled city. Whichever location you chose, you will have an amazing experience and your senses will be stimulated in many great ways.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 – 12 weeks
- Cost: £840/$1469 for 2 weeks
Prices for additional weeks vary (£40/$70 per week for Goa placements after week 4)
- Requirements: age 16+ ( parental consent form for 16 & 17 yrs. old)
- Location: Jaipur or Goa, India
- Project activities: singing songs, helping with mealtimes/bathtimes, sports and games, helping with maths, English lessons and homework.
- Working hours: Monday – Friday mornings 5 hours per day, 2 sessions
- Project Availability: 2 monthly start dates. For more details contact a Kaya Placement Advisor.
For more details contact a Kaya Placement Advisor.
- Arrival day: Monday
What is included
- Accommodation: Shared room with en-suite in volunteer accommodation, dining room, lounge, resource preparation area
- Food: 3 a day, packed lunch at lunchtimes
- Airport pickup and drop off Goa or Jaipur Airport depending on your placement
- Training: Pre-departure info pack, orientation including health and safety briefing
- Support: 24-hour support
- Transfers to the project
- Internet at your accommodation
- 2 yoga sessions
- 1 local cooking demonstration
- 1 henna painting session with sari dressing workshop
- 1 evening dinner with a local host family
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Weekend excursions can be arranged for an extra cost:
Jaipur = Taj Mahal & Pushkar Camel Safari – £272 / $476
Goa = North Goa and South Goa – £200 / $350
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Experience health promotion and community development through this internship by assisting local staff with the daily challenges facing residents
Be part of a team working to spread knowledge and education.
Learn about the impacts of Human Rights, Social Justice & NGO Management abroad
If you want to help a rural impoverished community while learning about the culture and the people of Cambodia, all that while making friends, this is a placement for you!
Join our volunteering for 16 and 17 year olds in India and spend time with other young people developing global citizenship.
By volunteering in India on a Community Teaching project, you have the chance to give back to a number of communities where support is needed to enhance the quality of teaching.
Our Experience India Tour encompasses charm, culture and care over 10 or 14 nights where you will be able to see the sights, learn about the real India and get a taste of volunteering.
The purpose of this project is to allow education centres to increase their resources via the help of volunteers.