What is the Learn Spanish in Costa Rica project all about?
Established in 1989, Kaya’s learn Spanish in Costa Rica program offers a unique Spanish immersion language course that enables students to learn the language and at the same time experience Costa Rican culture. While Spanish instruction is the focal point of all academic classes, you will have the chance to engage with Latin dance classes as well as cooking classes to practice and improve your speaking, dancing and cooking skills outside of the classroom.
You can study abroad in Costa Rica and experience a new classroom methodology, constructed so students can communicate, comprehend and use accurate pronunciation in Spanish quickly via different approaches. Our instructors pay special attention to individual language needs which emphasizes active student participation. Your classes will be intense, yet enjoyable, challenging and most of all – fun!
There are ten levels of instruction which we currently offer students: Beginner I, II & III; Intermediate I, II & III; Advanced I, II, & III, as well as specialized Spanish courses for medical, legal or business professionals, Spanish teachers, etc. Students will be placed in the appropriate level, according to your proficiency as determined by a written test and an oral evaluation.
All of our classes are offered in small groups, with an average of 3 or 4 and a maximum of 6 to a class.
Why choose this Learn Spanish program?
Spanish is now one of the most widely spoken languages in the world and is the third most popular on the internet, surpassed only by English and Chinese! If you really want to get to grips with the language or would like to improve the skills that you already have, Costa Rica is a wonderful country to learn the language as well as experience the Costa Rican culture.
As the project is wholly owned and operated by local Costa Ricans, in addition to your excellent language tuition we can ensure you a true and authentic Costa Rican experience. Each teacher is a native Spanish speaker, chosen not only for their competence, but also their friendliness. Each has a degree in linguistics, literature or education and boasts additional experience in language teaching.
Spanish Course content
Depending on your level of Spanish and your goals for your time studying with us, there are a number of courses which you can get involved with. All our classes emphasize speaking abilities, but we consider the Spanish language as a whole; therefore, our methodology takes into account its different components: grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, cultural understanding and pragmatic use. You will be placed in classes according to your Spanish proficiency level, which is determined by a written test sent by email and an oral evaluation exam before starting your course. Your level will be confirmed by your instructor based on your performance during the class.
As a Beginner student, you will study basic sentence structures, learn everyday vocabulary and develop the ability to clearly communicate basic ideas in Spanish.
As an Intermediate student your course will emphasize the cultural aspects of the language and its real usage. The course’s emphasis is on culturally authentic reading and writing, along with continued development of listening/speaking competencies.
As an Advanced student your course includes cultural, social and historical aspects on different Hispanic speaking countries as a way to explain the relationship between language, history and culture. The objective of this course is the proficiency and fluency in the Spanish language. Furthermore, emphasis is placed on the comprehension and use of the language in unrehearsed situations in culturally appropriate ways.
Specialized: We also offer medical Spanish for nurses or doctors, business Spanish, Spanish for lawyers and special courses for Spanish teachers.
If you would like a more detailed breakdown of the course structure related to your level, please do get in touch with one of our advisors and we can provide you with some more details.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Take advantage of the chance to develop your language skills in a local setting
To have an adventure while practicing your Spanish
To experience total Spanish immersion
Where will I work in Costa Rica?
Your project will be located in the San Jose region, which boasts all the amenities of a modern city while still surrounded by lush flora, fauna, natural parks, mountains, and beaches. Costa Rica is an exciting place to visit and is the perfect place for those who really enjoy adventure and nature. From the capital city, where the participants live you are within easy reach of beaches, volcanoes and forests of all kinds. Everything is accessible within 5 to 6 hours by public bus.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 – 12 weeks
- Cost: £686 / $1097 for 1 week
£311 / $497 per each additional week
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
- Projects activities: Written and oral exercises, conversational and improves Spanish, cultural activities in the afternoons
- Full orientation and support throughout your Spanish studies in Costa Rica
- 40 classrooms with 2 classrooms for Latin dance classes and a kitchen for cooking lessons
- Small classes with an average of only 3-6 students
- Costa Rican owned so students will have an authentic and true experience
- Excellent native Spanish teachers each with a degree in linguistics, literature or education and each have additional experience with language teaching
- Project available for a minimum of 1 week with no maximum!
- Project hours – Monday to Thursday, 20 hours per week
- All teaching material included within project fee
- Course start dates every Monday throughout the year, closed December 24th – January 2nd
What is included
- Accommodation: Single or shared room in a homestay (according to availability)
- Food: 2 Meals per day
- Airport pick up from San Jose International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure preparation pack, On-site Orientation and Project induction provided
- Support: On-site coordinator providing 24 hour support
- Daily Latin dance classes
- Costa Rican cooking lessons
- Twice a week conversational classes
- Cultural activities and tours on the weekends (some may cost extra)
What is not included
- Daily Transport from homestay to school
- Airport Drop Off to San Jose International Airport
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Spend your holidays doing something different and help others through volunteering overseas. Work on 1 of 4 projects in Costa Rica that accept 16 and 17 year olds.
Volunteer on this Sea Turtle conservation project and protect female sea turtles, their nests and hatchlings on beaches along the coasts of Costa Rica.
Volunteer abroad with Kaya in Costa Rica and get hands-on teaching experience with children who will really benefit from international instruction.
Join us at nutrition centres improving diets in Costa Rica on this mother and child nutrition volunteer placement.