Getting Insured for your Placement

When preparing for your volunteer project, one very important consideration is your travel insurance. To ensure everyone’s safety whilst volunteering, we require all participants have insurance to cover them for medical emergencies in their chosen destination. If anything happens to you while on your project, our local coordinators can then help you visit a doctor or hospital, safe in the knowledge that you are covered for treatment.

To make things easier for you, we have selected a reputable insurance companies to partner with that can provide a comprehensive level of cover during your trip. Our insurance partners provide cover for all of the activities that you will get involved in on our Kaya project, so you can be sure that if anything happens, that you will be covered for emergency medical treatment, as well as other travel emergencies such as evacuation and trip cancellation (if you get sick before your program).

You are welcome to book your travel insurance with any company but if you do book with a different company please ensure that you speak to the insurer over the phone to let them know that you will be volunteering, and explain the type of activities that you will be taking part in, to ensure that you are fully covered for all activities that take place on your project.

As a very basic minimum, your insurance policy must cover you for the following:

  • Emergency medical treatment
  • Emergency medical evacuation
  • Repatriation

For volunteers from the USA, you may have an existing domestic health insurance plan but it’s important to note that these policies rarely cover healthcare in a foreign country and don’t cover you for other travel-related issues such as evacuation, lost baggage, and flight cancellations etc. Therefore, it’s important that you call your insurance company to check whether you will be covered for medical treatment, evacuation, and repatriation whilst volunteering on your project. Even if you are covered for these things, we would still highly recommend purchasing travel insurance through one of Kaya’s travel insurance partners or through another travel insurance agency to ensure adequate coverage while overseas plus trip cancellation cover in case something happens to you before the trip and you can no longer travel.


Kaya’s Insurance Partners


Endsleigh provides insurance coverage for volunteers over the age of 18 and from the UK only to any Kaya destination (except for Borneo. Please speak to your Kaya advisor for options to this destination)


Insurance for non-UK travellers

We are currently awaiting details from an international travel insurance company that can provide coverage for our US, European, Australian and other international participants. We hope to have news on this partnership soon.