What is the Learn Spanish in Ecuador project all about?
Do more than just travel. How about travelling whilst also learning worthwhile skills that you can put into practice back home? Want to learn Spanish from qualified teachers who will produce a programme that matches your individual needs and experience levels? Come and learn Spanish on an intensive course in Ecuador.
The lessons are one-to-one with a qualified teacher who will tailor the lessons to meet your needs. So whether you are an absolute beginner, or trying to get fluent, classes are made for you. Using a range of media, depending on your level of Spanish, such as newspapers, magazines, table games, and flashcards the aim is to make your lessons as enjoyable and interactive as possible.
Why choose this Learn Spanish program?
As one of the most widely spoken languages in the world, Spanish is an great option for you to choose. And if you really want to get to grips with the language then Ecuador is a great place to do so – with Andean Spanish considered the most clear and easy to understand in the world. By learning Spanish in Ecuador you will be immersed in the language as well as experiencing the wonderful culture.
Spanish Course content
The course is designed for volunteers, professionals or people who have the time for a full immersion program. If you can already speak some Spanish you will sit a written and oral test on the first day. The teacher will prepare daily lesson plans to match your skill level. A one-to-one approach is used so that you have the full attention and support of the teacher and gain confidence in your speaking abilities. The focus of the course may contain the following:
- For beginners: basic vocabulary for reading and understanding
- Practical Spanish conversation
- Understanding: readings and lectures
- Also included there are lectures on Ecuadorian geography, history, literature. politics and culture
The course content is written by professionals and delivered by experienced teachers. The language school has a library containing different kinds of books and essays about Ecuadorian history, economy, tourism, grammar, literature, natural sciences, geography and more, which you are welcome to read.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Develop your language skills through Spanish immersion
Learn from a native Spanish speaker
Develop your Spanish speaking skills in a classroom and social setting
Where will I work in Ecuador?
The language school is located in Quito, a city surrounded by natural beauty. It is in an area close to many hotels and restaurants not far from the main tourist area. The area is mainly residential and is safe for locals and tourists. The school itself is light and has a large terrace where Spanish lessons can be enjoyed.
Quito is surrounded by mountains, some volcanic and some with white capped peaks, densely forested hills and a green lush valley. Quito has a checkered past; long before the Spanish arrived, Quito was a thriving centre but it was unfortunately destroyed by the Incas who embarked on a scorched earth policy to protect the city from a Spanish invasion. Unfortunately, their efforts were to no avail. However, Sebastián de Benalcázar recognised the city’s fantastic location and founded San Francisco de Quito. in, December 6, 1534. This is still remembered today with an annual celebration called Fiestas de Quito.
In 1978 Quito was named as a world heritage site because of its historic and cultural significance. It has wonderful museums, arts and other places of interest to keep you busy in your free time. At night there is plenty to do with many restaurants offering everything from fried bananas, pizza, steak to classic Ecuadorian cuisine and delicious desserts. You will be spoilt for choice.
Details & Costs
- Cost: £1380 / $2155 for a 1-week course
£1784 / $2786 for 2 weeks
- Location: Quito, Ecuador
- Requirements: 16+, some Spanish is useful but beginners are accepted
- Working hours: 20 hours per week (either mornings or afternoons)
- Course dates: Throughout the year, starting on a Monday. Please contact a Kaya Placement Advisor for details.
- Arrival day:Twice monthly on a Friday. Please speak to an advisor.
What is included
- Accommodation: Stay in a hostel for 3 night in Quito, breakfast included then homestay with a family in Quito
- Meals: breakfast while at the hostel, then 2 meals per day in the homestay family; breakfast and a light dinner
- Airport: pick up and drop off in Quito
- Training: Pre-departure preparation pack, and orientation on Saturday
- Support: 24-hour from the local team
- Excursion Planning: Advice provided upon request
- Local SIM card and phone (deposit of $50 required for the handset)
- Written information and course materials
What is not included
- Meals beyond those specified above
- Police/Police background check: US and UK citizens processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Human rights and girls’ empowerment volunteering in Quito
Join us as on this veterinary internship in Ecuador and contribute to improving the welfare of wildlife while developing your CV/Resume
Join our Fair Trade Internship in the Amazon Rainforest at a unique tea project doing sustainable economic development, cultural preservation and conservation.
In partnership with a local indigenous family that lives in the Amazon rainforest, this centre rehabilitates wild animals from the jungle that were victims of abuse and animal trafficking.
Volunteer in Ecuador on an economic and community development initiative to help families preserve their values, culture and environment and create sustainable livelihoods.