Remote Internships in South Africa
The Republic of South Africa takes up the entire southern tip of the African continent. With a population of 50 million, South Africa has the most diverse range of cultures – giving it the nickname ‘the rainbow nation’.
Despite the great strides made since the abolition of apartheid, the gap between rich and poor is extreme. Rural areas and townships suffer from a lack of resources in education, employment, hygiene and health facilities. Many girls in South Africa are married young, don’t finish school or suffer sexual abuse. As a transitional democracy, the country is still focusing on developing and promoting the basic human rights of its people.
Kaya’s remote internships in South Africa focus on social enterprises and initiatives addressing issues like girls’ empowerment, leadership, entrepreneurship, human rights and business development amongst others.
To read feedback from Kaya participants, click here.
Project examples for South Africa
Develop your Graphic Design skills at a charity working to empower and improve the lives of girls in high-risk areas through football (soccer).
Work in market research and marketing with a local grassroots initiative driven to improve wellness and nutrition with organic foods through fair trade.
Gain policy research experience working on a legal internship focused on international human rights issues.
Fields available for Remote Internships in South Africa include:
- Business development
- Education & Curriculum development
- Event Planning
- Event Management
- Film Making
- Graphic design
- Human Rights Law
- Leadership development
- NGO Support
- Marketing (including Digital marketing and Market research)
- Policy Research
- Public Health
- Social media management
With many other custom placements available. Contact a Kaya placement advisor now to find out what projects in South Africa can use your skills and interests
Summer 2021 Session Dates
Start date Session 1: May 24th, 2021
End date Session 1: July 16th, 2021
Application deadline: April 30th, 2021
Start date Session 2: June 21st, 2021
End date Session 2: August 13th, 2021
Application deadline: May 28th, 2021
Program fees: US $1285 (UK £1090)
What does a Kaya Remote Internship in South Africa include?
- 6Advising support from Kaya every step of the way from the application process throughout your program
- Individual internship placement matched based on your interests and career goals (internships range from 15-30 hours per week and 5-12h per week in Fall to accommodate schedules)
- Orientation to your host organization and placement
- Cultural Orientation with your Country Site Director
- Placement Guide outlining details of your host organization and goals of your placement
- Donations to support the work of your project
- Weekly “face to face” check-in and feedback session with your Project Supervisor
- Weekly “face to face” check-in and reflection session with your Country Site Director
- Weekly Cultural workshops with Country Director to attend live or watch the recording when it is convenient for you (1-2 hours/workshop)
- Local buddy for weekly cultural exchange with prompts to facilitate discussion
- Discussion forum to connect you with other interns
- A toolkit to understand your work style and learn to bridge cultural differences through interactive culture guides
- Certificate of completion
- Support pursuing home university credit, where available.
- Invitation to Kaya LinkedIn Alumni Group
- Reentry toolkit to guide your future career steps!
- Future program discount of US$800/ GB£620 to visit your host country in the future
Optional Add-ons (not included)
- Academic coursework with credit through our university partner.
Your support staff on your South Africa remote internship
South Africa Country Director
Oliver was raised in Vermont, USA and studied journalism and communication at the University of Oregon (USA). He fell in love with South Africa in 2003 while an exchange student at the University of Cape Town and later returned to the country in 2005 to begin his career in the field of international education. When not engaged in student exchanges, Oliver loves to spend time in nature with his wife, Leanne, and son, Francis.
South Africa Country Director
Born in Harare Zimbabwe, Sean did his first Study Abroad Experience at the University of Cape Town in South Africa. In this time, he also met a large number of students also studying away from home and this sowed the seeds of setting up his own enterprise with Oliver Hagan. He met Oliver at UCT through many adventures at the Scuba Club. Sean absolutely loves travel and new experiences.
Application Process and Payment Schedule
Speak to a Kaya placement advisor for more information on available placements in your subject area, and the type of work you are interested in. Click here to email us.
Complete an Application
and submit your resume/CV with a $45/ £40 deposit, for us to match you with best project options. Deposits are deducted from the total tuition fee and will be refunded if we can’t find you a placement.
Confirm your chosen project with a Kaya advisor, then pay your balance to accept and book your placement.
What are the requirements to do a Kaya Remote Internship?
Our program is open to all.
Instruction is in English, so there are NO foreign language requirements.
All you will need is access to a laptop, internet connection for video calls and an interest in cultural learning.