What is the Family Volunteering Building Adventure in Kruger all about?
If you’re looking for an opportunity for the whole family to engage in volunteering within a friendly community, plus the adventure of a safari experience in South Africa’s best known National Park, then this tour offers you the best of both worlds. Not only will you get to enjoy an amazing variety of places on this tour but you will also get to experience some varied and life changing activities ranging from close encounters with big game, to building much needed infrastructure for Orphaned and Vulnerable Children and being a part of Swaziland’s vibrant culture.
Your itinerary, subject to change, will look something like this:
Day 1-2 Arrival and Orientation – Upon arrival you will be welcomed by a member of the team who will drive you to your accommodation and the second day begins with an orientation.
Day 3-7 Conservation tour, Kruger National Park – You will venture on a five day tour into the heart of Kruger Park including four nights camping in the park and unlimited game drives.
Day 8-12 Building Project, Ezulwini, Swaziland – Volunteers will spend five days working on our building project which aims to build basic houses for Orphaned and Vulnerable Children.
Day 13 – 14 Experience Swaziland – The last two days of the tour are on a free weekend, a great time to explore what Swaziland or enjoy any of a number of excursions (at extra cost).
Day 15 Return home – On your final day, you will be transported to the airport to return home.
Why choose this Family Volunteering project in Swaziland?
This project aims to regenerate or build homes for vulnerable families that do not have the means or the skills to do so. Harnessing the skills of Swazi builders, you will provide support in the construction and maintenance phases. The result is basic accommodation, which will help to give communities encouragement and motivation and improve their quality of life.
Role of the Family Volunteer
Kruger National Park is probably Africa’s most famous conservation area and offers some of the best opportunities to view Africa’s big game. Groups have seen lions, elephants, rhino, buffalo and leopards, to name a few. The excitement continues with guided bush walks and a night drive.While in Kruger your guide will teach you about the animals and plants of the African savanna and how important it is to protect this beautiful but fragile eco-system.
In Swaziland you will work with experienced builders, making blocks, laying foundations, building walls, and fitting roofs and doors to finish much needed structures for shelter and education. Instruction will be given and younger children will undertake supportive tasks, with the supervision of parents.
What skills do you need to join this Family Volunteering building project?
For this project, the main skill required is having the motivation to work hard and follow instructions from Swazi builders. Those with particular building, plumbing, electrical and carpentry skills would be a great asset to the project, but it is by no means necessary. Children must be of an adequate level of strength and fitness if they wish to be involved in building work.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To have close encounters with big game
To tour Kruger National park
To have a unique cultural experience
Where will you work in Swaziland?
Accommodation in Swaziland is at a backpacker lodge in the picturesque Ezulwini Valley which is conveniently located next to a road connecting you to your project location and local amenities. As a family you can book a dormitory of 4 or more, or you can opt to stay in a private room, which holds 2 per room – both have communal bathroom facilities. There is a communal Kitchen where meals are prepared on a rotational basis and TV lounge, with much to entertain children, including board games and book exchange and a large deck with pool table & dart board. The surrounding garden also has a communal barbecue and campfire area.
Your accommodation in Kruger will be safari style dome tents with two people per tent – you will need to bring your own sleeping bag. Camps are well equipped with clean toilets, hot water showers and souvenir shops where you can buy drinks, snacks and more.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 weeks
– Custom quote as pricing may vary on this project depending on the season and the number of rooms needed.
- Requirements: Minimum age 6 yrs. Note age limit for game drive is 12 years old.
- Location: Kruger National Park, South
- Africa and Ezulwini Valley, Swaziland
- Project activities: Safari, game drives, building walls, laying foundations, painting, gardening.
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, times vary
- Project availability: Arrival dates are the first Monday of each month, except December
- Arrival day: 1st Monday of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: A tent in Kruger park and volunteer accommodation in Swaziland (twin or family room)
- Food: 3 meals per day – Breakfast, lunch and dinner (volunteers help to prepare meals)
- Pick up and drop off from Manzini Airport
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation and project induction provided
- Support: 24 hour support from on-site coordinator in each location and an English speaking guide
- 24/7 emergency number for volunteers and families
What is not included
- Daily transfers to and from your volunteering project. This will cost approximately 20 rand (£1.50) per day.
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.