What is the Music Access and Development for School Children in Belize project all about?
Volunteer abroad at state-run schools where music access and development for school children in Belize is for the affluent. Located within the Cayo District, the schools have a basic music programme within two local schools with very limited resources available to them. Music is a huge part of Belizean society and this project aims to improve access for more children to music, not only to playing instruments but also learning about composers. It also aims to increase children’s ability to read music, expose them to different types of music and a variety of instruments.
The school is state-run and the music programme is a collaboration between the volunteer and the School Principal. The music programme is available to children aged from kindergarten through to grade 8 and lessons take place during the school day. The aim is to develop the creative skills of children through access to music. Life is expensive in Belize and access to musical teaching is definitely a luxury.
Why choose this Music Access & Development for School Children project?
- Give access to music and music-related skills to children and young adults by teaching, but also helping them acquire more instruments as those are scarce in Belize.
- Connect with the students by providing them with a healthy medium by which they can express themselves and resolve some of the personal difficulties they face in their daily lives.
- Develop your fundraising skills and enjoy sharing your passion for music with others. Access to musical instruments is limited for the majority of children in Belize as they are very expensive, well beyond the means of most.
Role of the Music Volunteer
In this programme, you will very much be taking a lead role. You will follow a set curriculum that has been designed by a former music volunteer and continue to develop it, involving the local staff. You will be teaching students how to read music, play basic instruments (if they have them) and develop their appreciation of classical musicians.
The school would love to set up a number of performances throughout the year for the whole school community so you will be responsible for putting together a show. This is where your skills and training will really come in to play as you will need creative direction over the class. Also, fundraising is a key element of this project as the school is desperate for more instruments. At the moment, they have very little access to anything beyond a flute, making their talents fairly limited.
What skills do I need to be a Music Volunteer in Belize?
A background and passion for music are needed to participate in this project as well as bags of enthusiasm and a commitment to get the Belizeans to perform! Knowledge of helping to set up musical performances is also useful, but not necessary. A music related teaching background would be good (although not necessary) as you will be looking after groups of students and developing their talent. You should be able to read music. Ideally, we would love volunteers for a 6-month period as we are committed to providing an in-depth and consistent music programme. You must be able to work without supervision, be able to make decisions and lead others. You will be asked to send your CV/resume before being accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
A chance to share your musical talents with others
To inspire others to learn an instrument
To learn about songs and instruments important to a different culture
Where will I work in Belize?
The dance programme is based just outside San Ignacio, referred to locally as Cayo, which is located 2 hours from Belize City. It is a well-known tourist centre. The town and the surrounding communities contain a diverse mix of Creole, Maya and Mestizo populations. San Ignacio is an attractive market town set among pleasant tropical hills and is a relaxing place to stay. The friendly people of San Ignacio enable rich cultural exchanges and productive development projects.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4+ weeks
- Cost: £2584 / $4033 for 4 weeks
£272 / $424 per each extra week
- Requirements: Age 17+
- Location: San Ignacio and Cayo District, Belize
- Working hours: Monday-Friday, in line with school hours
- Project availability: All year round
- Arrival day: Saturday
What is included
- Accommodation: shared room in volunteer accommodation with access to a pool table and a bar
- Meals: 3 per day; light breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and a cooked evening meal. Volunteers take turns once a week preparing something from their own country
- Airport Pickup: Airport pickup and drop off at Belize City International Airport
- Training: Orientation and project induction provided
- Support: 24-hour support
- Excursion Planning: Staff can help to suggest weekend activities (extra fees may apply). Trips may include; canoeing through jungle, caves, tubing, visit Mayan ruins, hiking and horse-riding.
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Kaya Teaching in Ghana placement provides participants with the opportunity to learn about the local community while sharing their knowledge and providing brighter prospects to the local students.
Join us in a rural community of Costa Rica and contribute to the local community while living an adventure of a lifetime!
Take part in a Psychology and Social Work Internship in Ecuador and develop your skills and gain experience abroad
Join the sustainability internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally, economically or culturally depending on your field!
Join this amazing Marine Science Internship in Belize and get some real insight into marine conservation in the Caribbeans!
Join the Enchanted Forest Art Therapy Volunteering in Belize and make a positive impact on local children.
Intern on a political science internship in Belize and gain experience in politics with the aim of running a campaign while living in San Ignacio.
Volunteer in Belize in rural health clinics that serve the less affluent citizens of rural communities surrounding San Ignacio, who lack access to health professionals and treatment.
Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in a public polyclinic or private hospital that serve the local citizens, regardless of income or social standing.