If you can inspire others to express themselves through movement, then volunteer on this wonderful project for dance therapy in Belize. Dance therapy is recognised by many as being very useful for children and young people who have been abused. It encourages them to become more self-expressive and, for some, develops self-worth and builds self-esteem. This helps children and young people to become more confident socially and can also overcome the feeling of being ostracised from the community. Dance therapy also enables them to learn more about dance and to have fun, which is often missing from their lives.
This placement is based at a community youth centre set up by a local foundation, and young people and children are either referred here by the police or Social Services or have built up the confidence to drop-in themselves. A detailed curriculum is in place and through movement, circle time icebreakers, and arts-focused on feelings, it is hoped that the young people of Belize will be able to express their emotions, enabling them to move forward to counselling. Bring your ideas, enthusiasm and experience and help integrate this dance therapy programme into the lives of those who are in need of an avenue to express their feelings as well as having fun.
Why choose this project?
- Benefit from sharing your skills, compassion and support while helping to foster a positive experience for everyone involved.
- Provide much-needed help to those dealing with the effects of abuse, as child abuse is common in Belize and many children are left in despair with low self-esteem and little self-worth.
- Add an interesting and unique experience to your CV/Resume and learn how dance therapy can be invaluable in helping others express themselves.
Role of the volunteer
Volunteers on this dance therapy project will be asked to work with children and young people who have suffered abuse and need to develop their confidence through dance. You will show them different dance techniques and help them learn. You will also encourage them to express themselves through dance with the aim of increasing their self-worth.
The programme has been written into 7 chapters. The first 2 focus on building relationships through listening and communication skills, and the following 5 chapters focus on the Champions Through movement Curriculum, Relaxation and Focusing, Socialisation and Peer Skills, Anger Management and Coping Skills, Building Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem, and Reducing Self-Blame and Empowerment. You will continue to develop this through adding in your own ideas and experiences while taking into account local music and dance trends. This is a great opportunity to apply your own passion for dance therapy.
This project placement requires volunteers to be very enthusiastic, love working with children and young people, and come up with ideas and knowledge that they are willing to share with others. Experience in dance therapy, performing arts or movement therapy or a degree in this field is required. This placement requires volunteers to be able to use their initiative, work without daily guidance and be confident enough when dealing with others. You will be asked to send your CV/Resume and attend a telephone interview before being accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Encourage self-expression and develop confidence in vulnerable children
To share your skills and enthusiasm
To gain an insight into the local culture
You will be based in San Ignacio and the surrounding communities. This project is in San Ignacio and is only a short walk from the volunteer accommodation. San Ignacio, also referred to locally as Cayo is located 2 hours from Belize City. The town and the surrounding communities contain a diverse population of Creole, Maya and Mestizo. San Ignacio is also an attractive market town set among pleasant tropical hills with a wide, shallow river running through the centre, where local families and volunteers love to swim. You can visit nearby Maya ruins and take part in caving adventures in your free time.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2+ weeks
- Cost: £1461 / $2556 for 2 weeks
£432 / $757 per each extra week
- Requirements: Age 18+
- Location: San Ignacio, Belize
- Working hours: 6 hours per day
- Project availability: Project starts 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month, apart from in July and August when the schools in Belize are closed.
- Arrival day: Saturday
What is included
- Accommodation: shared room in volunteer accommodation with access to a pool table and a bar
- Food: 3 per day; light breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and a cooked evening meal. Volunteers take turns once a week preparing something from their own country
- Airport pickup: Airport pickup and drop off at Belize City International Airport
- Training: Orientation and project induction provided
- Support: 24-hour support
- Excursion Planning: Staff can help to suggest weekend activities (activity price will be extra). Trips may include; canoeing through jungle, caves, tubing, visit Mayan ruins, hiking and horse riding
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Experience health promotion and community development through this internship by assisting local staff with the daily challenges facing residents
Gain meaningful work experience in an area relevant to your studies or potential career choice and participate in a Healthcare Internship in China through Kaya.
Learn about the impacts of Human Rights, Social Justice & NGO Management abroad
Learn about the emerging field of Occupational Therapy in Morocco
Based on a tiny private island in the Sapodilla Cayes, off the coast of Punta Gorda, this marine conservation project researches issues affecting the world’s second largest coral reef.
Volunteer in Belize in rural health clinics that serve the less affluent citizens of rural communities surrounding San Ignacio, who lack access to health professionals and treatment.
Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in a public polyclinic or private hospital that serve the local citizens, regardless of income or social standing.
Build a Sustainable Home for Orphans in Belize and support children prepare for adulthood, while immersing them in sustainability initiatives.
Bring your family to Belize and join us on this farming and building project for disadvantaged teenagers.