What is Political Science Internship in Belize all about?
The Political Science internship in Belize is an exclusive chance to gain experience abroad in international relations, while witnessing first-hand how foreign government may differ from the one you are familiar with back home. The political system in Belize is following a parliamentary representative democratic monarchy framework established by the British as a commonwealth country. Unfortunately, despite safeguard in place by the constitution, the system and all branches of the government are very fragile risking the government involvements and facing corruption. The Political Science internship in Belize works with a group of people that has formed a minority party that believe in real democracy, freedom of speech and anti corruption practices. The party was founded in 2013, and therefore has enough support to be running in the next election.
Why choose this Political Science Internship in Belize?
- Learn about the political system in Belize and the limitations minority parties face daily to push institutional reforms forward.
- Expand your international relations in your field while adding relevant experience to your resume / CV.
- Discover a new culture other than your own and make new friends as you get to learn about local foods and culture.
Role of the Intern
As a Political Science Intern in Belize, you will be working on one of the minority party’s leader campaign towards the election of 2020. As the election approaches, the internship tasks will vary, but some major initiatives will involved collecting information from the local communities, looking at campaign strategy, and ways to fundraise in a limited resource country. As the intern, you will be working directly with party executives advising them on your experience in your country, brainstorming new ideas, and conducting research for them as needed.
What skills do I need to be a Political Science Intern in Belize?
An interest in politics is essential for this internship, as well as a level of maturity to be working with the party executives themselves. You will be required to submit a cover letter for this placement and undergo an interview prior to being accepted on the placement.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To support a local campaign to fight corruption
To share your experience of the political system in your country
Learn about your field of study in a different setting
Where will I work in Belize?
The Political Science Internship in Belize is based in San Ignacio and the surrounding communities for campaigning purposes. San Ignacio is located 2 hours from the capital, Belize City, and it is known locally as Cayo. The town is very diverse with a mix of Creole, Maya and Mestizo populations. San Ignacio is a vibrant traveler’s destination set among pleasant tropical hills.
Your accommodation will be based within 5 minute walk away from the market town of San Ignacio. You will live amongst the family located on site, and will have the opportunity to socialize with them and learn about Belizean culture. The house has enough rooms to host other interns and volunteers, so there will be plenty of opportunity to socialize with like-minded individuals.
San Ignacio offers plenty of excursions to go explore during your free time. We suggest you check the Actun Tunichil Muknal Cave or plan a day to visit archaeological site like Xunantunich, Tikal amongst others in the area. Tubing is also a popular activity in the area if you enjoy relaxing while enjoying the scenery.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4+ weeks
- Cost: £2437 / $3899 for 4 weeks
£470 / $752 per each extra week
- Requirements: Age 17+
- Location: San Ignacio, Belize
- Working hours: Monday to Friday, 6-8 hours per day
- Project availability: All year round
- Project arrival day: Saturday
What is included
- Accommodation: double room in volunteer house
- Food: 3 meals per day; light breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and a cooked evening meal. Volunteers take it in turns once a week preparing something from their own country
- Airport pickup and drop off at Belize City International Airport
- Training: Pre-departure manual, learning reflection manual, orientation and project induction provided, Learning Reflection Document, Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
- Support: 24 hour support
- Excursion Planning: Assistance with booking weekend activities (activity price will be extra). Trips may include; canoeing through jungle, caves, tubing, visit Mayan ruins, hiking and horse riding.
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Gain meaningful work experience in an area relevant to your potential career choice and participate in the Travel and Tourism Internship in Asia.
Learn about public sector and public administration in Ghana while interning for a public office.
Kaya Journalism Internship in Ghana provides participants the opportunity to learn and share in their field of interest while giving back to a local community.
Volunteer in Belize in rural health clinics that serve the less affluent citizens of rural communities surrounding San Ignacio, who lack access to health professionals and treatment.
Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in a public polyclinic or private hospital that serve the local citizens, regardless of income or social standing.
Build a Sustainable Home for Orphans in Belize and support children prepare for adulthood, while immersing them in sustainability initiatives.
Bring your family to Belize and join us on this farming and building project for disadvantaged teenagers.