What is the Public Administration Internship programme in Ghana all about?
The Public Administration Internship in Ghana is ideal to have a real insight into the public sector in Ghana. Indeed, this placement will be done at the Public Library Authority, which is financed by the Ministry of Education. The public office is large enough that there are needs throughout the different departments, including:
- Procuring for things like computer, supplies, vehicles, etc
- Training of local staff in organizing the library
- Organizing reading clinics
- Budget for the entire library authority
- Assist with the book aid departments to process and catalogue the donations
- Help during computer labs classes within the head office and at regional offices
This placement has over 500 staff, 61 branches offices and 10 regional offices. That said, there is an opportunity in many aspects of this public office for anyone interested in pursuing this public administration internship in Ghana.
Why choose this Public Administration Internship programme in Ghana?
- Gain a competitive edge as you add a public administration internship in Ghana to your resume helping you gain public sector experience in an emerging country.
- Learn about Ghanaian culture and traditions while living like a Ghanaian.
- Be exposed to a different work setup and make connections in the field with local professionals.
Role of the Public Administration Intern
This placement will expose you to the Public Administration sector in Ghana. Depending on your interest and experience, you will have the opportunity to explore a variety of department within the administration including HR, Finance, Administration, Procurement, Corporate Affairs, Cataloguing and Processing, amongst others. Depending on the length of your placement and the department in which you get allocated, you will assist in updating reports, finding new prospective donors or partners, assist in organizing events around World Book Day or International Literacy Day. You may also be involved at the Children’s library helping local students with their reading.
What skills do I need to be a Public Administration Intern in Ghana?
Public Administration interns are required to be able to work independently and autonomously after being given instructions. You will be guided by a local professional, but maturity and capacity to work solo are mandatory. Please bring a laptop to maximize your time on the internship. Note that all applicants must submit a CV/resume, letter of motivation and attend a telephone intern for consideration for this interesting and varied placement.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To gain hands on work experience
To improve your CV or resume
To learn about the function of non-profit organisations and how they run
Where will I work in Ghana?
About the Location
This Public Administration Internship in Ghana is based in the centre of Accra with the Public Library Authority while your accommodation is located in Pokoasi in Greater Accra. Pokoasi is considered the peri-urban environment of Accra. As such, it will require you to take public transport and experience the true Ghanaian lifestyle.
During your internship, you will be staying in a basic but comfortable accommodation with western facilities, although showers are what is called “bucket showers”.
What to do in your spare time
During your free time on the weekends, why not head into the city and explore the beachfront set on the Gulf of Guinea. Alternatively, you may want to go towards the west to Kumasi and explore its famous huge market that sells everything from spices to jewellery and more. If you are interested in history, we suggest you experience Cape Coast or Elmina. Alternatively, you may want to head North to the Volta Region and take in the small towns along Lake Volta, or even head up to the beautiful Wli Falls, on the border with Togo.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4 – 12 weeks
- Cost: £1432/$2291 for 4 weeks
£135 / $216 for each additional week.
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Accra, Ghana
- Working hours: Monday – Friday 8:30am – 17:00pm. Evening hours maybe needed for events and networking.
- Project availability All year round, except 15th December – 5th January
- Arrival day: Saturday
What is included
- Accommodation: Dorm room for 2 – 4 people in a volunteer house with large shared kitchen, and volunteer planning room and veranda
- Food: Communal evening dinner during weekdays
- Airport pick up from Kotoko International Airport, Accra
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation, cultural tour and project induction provided
- Support: 24 hour support from on-site coordinator
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of Internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
- Fundraising Guide
What is not included
- Airport drop off
- Transport to and from projects
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Breakfast and lunches during the workweek, and all meals on weekends.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Use your skills and entrepreneurship spirit to participate in this Entrepreneurship for International Development Internship in Tanzania and help the local community generate new income and fight unemployment.
Develop your experience through an hospitality management internship in an African context working for an award winning backpacker lodge
Intern on a political science internship in Belize and gain experience in politics with the aim of running a campaign while living in San Ignacio.
Public Health Internship Ghana is based in a local community around Cape Coast and focuses on prevention.
Volunteer Coaching Sports in Ghana placement provides participants with the opportunity to learn about the local community while sharing their knowledge and providing brighter prospects to the local athletes
Kaya Teach in Ghana placement provides participants with the opportunity to learn about the local community while sharing their knowledge and providing brighter prospects to the local students.
Kaya Journalism Internship in Ghana provides participants the opportunity to learn and share in their field of interest while giving back to a local community.