Turing Scheme Sports ProgramFully-funded programmes abroad in 2023
Welcome to Kaya’s sports Abroad programme – as part of the UK government’s Turing Scheme.
This project is established for the purpose of offering training for Vocational and Further Education students in the fields of sports management. By carrying out this program within locations where the importance of sports is undervalued and access to coaches and resources is limited, students are able to see the varying realities that shape the work carried out. They can also gain a better understanding of the powerful impact sports can have on the development and wellbeing of young people in underprivileged communities.
Working with international professionals in the field, the students will observe different approaches than those they may have previously learned about and have the chance to critically examine the challenges and impacts of the theory they learn in the realities of this new environment.
Each of these projects has an objective to inspire students to learn more about sports management within the context of community development. Our goal is to inspire these students to continue studying and gaining employment in this field.
Activities will include:
- Attending training programs teaching students about theory and techniques used in the field, taught by local professionals.
- Engaging with local staff at each site to learn more about the local approach to sports management issues, but also how cultural factors affect the way that they work
- Working alongside other students to collaborate on projects and, in doing so, providing experience of participation in teamwork within this career.
Programs will be offered in 3 countries:
40 spaces will be available for this location, with dates of April 1st – April 16th and July 2nd – July 16th 2023. (departure and return dates may vary by 1-2days depending on flights.)
1. Sports development – Zambia
This 16-day sports development program takes place in Livingstone, Zambia.
The program hosts 20 students and 2 support staff, who will be housed in a volunteer house and provided with 3 meals a day.
Students will gain an insight into the role sports development can play in a child’s development, and the positive impact it can have on local communities, particularly where physical education is a largely unfamiliar concept, and is absent from most school curriculums.
Working with local sports practitioners, the students will be involved in the following activities:
- PE (Physical Education) Sessions – these sessions allow students to use their creativity to engage school children with different aspects of sport as it relates to health and wellbeing.
- Boys & Girls Rugby coaching– students will learn how to direct drills and practise games, under the guidance of local coaches.
- Other Sports Coaching – depending on student expertise, students may set up specific opportunities for coaching of other sports.
- Educational workshops- these will provide students with a broader understanding of the principles and application of sports development, as well as basic coaching techniques.
- Evenings and weekends will allow time for learning about Zambian culture, Nyanja lessons and reflecting upon the day’s activities.
20 spaces will be available for this location, with dates of April 1st – April 16th 2023. (departure and return dates may vary by 1-2days depending on flights.)
2. Sports Coaching – Ghana
For this 16-day coaching and sports management training program, students will be based in Teshie, located near Accra, Ghana. Students will be based at a sports academy, specialising in football training, educational support and character development for young, talented athletes from poor backgrounds.
The program will host 20 students, with 2 support staff, who will be housed together at a volunteer house, with 4-6 students sharing single gender rooms, and adults in separate rooms. 3 meals a day will be provided.
Working with a sports development non-profit and local sports practitioners, students will assist with the planning and delivery of training sessions. Students will develop a deeper understanding of how sports can help to promote a healthy and balanced lifestyle, improve mental wellbeing, and increase social participation in communities.
In addition to working at the academy, students will help run community sports clubs. Coaching options include football, hockey, boxing, tennis, rugby, basketball, athletics, and netball.
In the evenings and on the weekend, students will enjoy traditional Ghanaian cuisine, participate in friendly football matches with locals, explore the local area and learn more about Ghanaian culture.
30 spaces will be available for this location, with dates of April 1st – April 16th and July 15th – July 30th 2023. (departure and return dates may vary by 1-2days depending on flights.)
3. Sports Management – Ecuador
This 2-week training program will take place in the Pichincha province in the Quito Metropolitan area, Ecuador.
Working with the Pichincha Provincial Government Sports and Recreation department, the group will learn about how a government department works with sports projects in the region.
As part of the training, they will learn about the administration and management of the government sports department, and visit some of the facilities that the government manages. The group will then attend activities and events that the department oversees, to join in activities such as coaching, school events, and community sports initiatives. The group will be given some project work to complete on active projects during their stay.
Students will learn about how sports are used as part of community development and in achieving social goals set by the local government. They will get involved in a range of sports from football and volleyball to baseball and athletics. Students will be housed at a local hostel and, in their spare time, immerse in Ecuadorian culture with market visits, cooking classes, and a visit to the equatorial line at the centre of the world, as well as join locals in community games and sports.
At each location, students will be staying in group accommodation and participating in hands-on training within each working area. The aim of this programme is to provide students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and practical skills, while learning about different cultures and environments to expand horizons and develop educated, compassionate global citizens.
All flights will depart from and return to Manchester airport, and students will need to make their own arrangements for travel to and from home to the airport.
COVID vaccination and testing requirements will be dependent on each country. Face masks and social distancing could still be in place, dependent on local rules and laws. We will advise closer to departure.
The Turing scheme aims to offer this opportunity to a broad range of students and, while we are looking for students studying related subjects, application evaluation is not based on your grades! We are looking for enthusiastic pupils aged 16+ who have an interest in sports management and related areas. The scheme is fully funded by the UK government, so there will be no cost incurred other than a £200 confirmation fee for successful applicants.
- The application form below will be the only requirement for consideration for this program.
- If you are successful with your application, we strongly advise you look into visa requirements straight away.
- A board of administrators will evaluate all applications to select successful applicants on a rolling basis, so we encourage early application.
- Once successful candidates have been notified, a £200 confirmation fee will be required to confirm the placement (hardship grants will be offered to cover this cost where necessary)
- As part of this program, students will be expected to complete some pre-departure assignments, including online attendance at a pre-departure workshop.
- Flights from Manchester Airport will be provided as part of the program, and students will be required to make their own way to the airport on departure, and home from the airport on our return.
Saturday December 31st, 2022