See incredible species in their natural habitats on this African Marine and Wildlife Volunteer Adventure Tour. You will learn about marine research in Mozambique, where you’ll explore the Manta reef and gain your international diving qualification. In Kruger, you will see South Africa’s Big 5 (the lion, elephant, cape buffalo, leopard and rhino) plus more on a five day safari. You’ll learn about the challenges facing some of the endangered species through your field guides. In Swaziland, you will experience the savanna with the opportunity to monitor species such as guinea fowl, tortoises, birds of prey, bats and more!
Supported by an experienced team of guides, and working with qualified local experts, you will get to see some of the best species that southern Africa has to offer. Your amazing travel experience will be complemented by volunteering on regional wildlife research and conservation efforts. Join us for the adventure of a lifetime, where you’ll make new, international friends, visit three amazing countries, and learn an incredible amount about diverse wildlife!
Why choose this project?
This tour is open to university or college attendants as well as those interested in a career in conservation. Those studying or interested in marine biology, zoology, conservation and wildlife management will gain a lot. You’ll learn new skills as you volunteer throughout the trip with local project teams to collect and record data for ongoing conservation projects.
Local staff and community members benefit from learning about other nationalities through cultural exchange and being able to spread the word about their important causes.
Week 1 – 4 / Mozambique: You’ll spend four weeks gaining your international diving certification. You’ll also learn marine monitoring and data collection techniques with your work contributing to larger research initiatives. On weekends, you can relax on the beach, learn to surf, go horse riding, explore the local market and more.
Week 5 / 4 nights in Swaziland: Here, you can spend your time relaxing by pool, heading to the cinema or a local coffee shop. You can also choose to go quad biking, zip lining, or hiking through the mountains and valleys.
Week 5 / 5-day safari in Kruger: Lastly, you will be on an exciting camping safari in the heart of Kruger National Park. On your game drives you will have the opportunity to see lions, elephant, giraffes, buffalo, rhino, leopard and cheetah. You will take part in a guided bush walk as well as a night drive to search for nocturnal wildlife.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To gain an internationally recognised diving qualification in one of the best diving sites in Africa
To learn about a range of species and see them in their natural habitats
To learn about the cultural diversity of three southern African countries
One of Africa’s up-and-coming hot-spots, with stunning beaches, excellent diving and magical offshore islands. Sunshine, blue skies and temperatures between 24°C and 27°C are the norm along the coast. Try to avoid the rainy summer season (from December to April) when temperatures can exceed 30°C in some areas.
Though the smallest country in the entire southern hemisphere, Swaziland guarantees fun and adventure. A country of scenic beauty, it also boasts strong traditions, vibrant cultural festivals and friendly laid-back people. If you are here in May, try to attend the Bushfire Festival, a celebration of music and culture that’s not to be missed!
Kruger National Park
With almost 20,000 square kilometers of land, South Africa’s Kruger National Park is one of Africa’s largest game reserves. The park boasts incredible vegetation in addition to its wildlife offerings. From lions and elephants to vultures and wildebeests, Kruger has it all.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 7 weeks
- Cost: £3542 / $6199
Additional weeks available in the drop-down menu
- Location: Tofo Bay, Mozambique; Mbuluzi, Swaziland; Kruger National Park, South Africa
- Requirements: 18+, able swimmer
- Tour activities: International Open Water or Advanced Diving course; half-day walking tour in Swaziland plus many optional activities available; 5-day camping safari in Kruger National Park
- Volunteer activities: marine research and coral monitoring, data collection, photography of wildlife, beach clean-ups and more
- Working hours: 08:30-15:30
- Project availability: Please call a Kaya Advisor to discuss availability
- Arrival day: first Monday of the month
What is included
- All accommodation throughout your program
- All meals
- Orientation upon arrival
- International Open Water course (or advanced course, or research dives for an equivalent value)
- Project equipment
- Project activities, including boat launches for snorkelling and research dives
- Guided walking tour to learn about traditions and culture of Swaziland
- 5 day camping safari in Kruger National Park
- Night drive in Kruger Park
- Experienced tour guides throughout
- Airport pick-up and drop off at Inhambane International Airport
What is not included
- Any excursions outside of the planned itinerary
- Transfers to and from the airport, not on scheduled arrival and departure days
- Additional dive training, including a scuba assessment for qualified divers who haven’t dived in the last 6 months
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Get involved with tourism development in a rural community of Thailand and help build the future of the local community!
Combine study abroad and volunteering this summer in Cusco, Peru.
Take a hands-on role in reforestation and environmental education by volunteering on this mass action project in South Africa this summer.
Veterinary internship in South Africa Wild Coast catering to 2nd and 3rd-year students
Volunteer in Mozambique with hands-on whale shark research, coral reef monitoring, humpbacked whale monitoring and turtle nest surveys.