What is the Small Business Development Internship and Product Design in Africa all about?
There are many small businesses in Africa looking for the support of interns to share their ideas and time. In exchange, you will receive a hands-on experience in the challenges faced every day in developing nations’ business ventures. Whether you are interested in HR, finance, policies or marketing, these small businesses will appreciate your fresh perspectives and support with their activities. Bring your business skills and study experience and join us in South Africa or Swaziland to enhance the future of a social enterprise.
Why choose this Small Business Development Internship and Product Design programme in Africa?
As a student or someone with a business background, you can share your knowledge with local business owners and help them to develop business strategy, marketing materials and procedures. You will have the incredible opportunity to learn about the different elements of a small business in an international setting, which will be an asset to your CV/resume.
Role of the Business and Community Volunteer
This is a varied and interesting placement that gives you a unique look at the challenges faced by these businesses. You may be involved in the following activities:
- Capacity building and training of staff (topics dependent on experience)
- Assistance with production of items, introducing new product lines or working methods
- Development of strategies for marketing, including website design and social media use
- Creation of policies and procedures to manage human resources and finances
- Assistance with business development and identification of growth areas
- Development of monitoring and evaluation tools to identify the impact of business on the lives of the local community and customer engagement
Potential study related learning outcomes from this internship include:
- Creating and implementing practical policies, protocols and strategies
- Conducting research for business growth and strengthening market position
- Designing and using websites and social media in order to market and generate income
- Managing and running a small business, including finance and personnel management
You will attend weekly meetings to review your progress with the MD of the small business. At the end of your placement, you will be asked to present a final reflection to the MD and the local project team.
What skills do I need to be a Business and Product Design Intern?
Interns should be studying either business, social entrepreneurship, finance, HR, or marketing. Having previous experience in those sectors is also useful, even if you are not still studying. You will be supported during your placement by a dedicated mentor but will be expected to use your own initiative throughout. Bring a positive attitude, lots of ideas, and a willingness to work as part of a team to make the most out of this placement.
You will be asked to submit a CV/resume and a letter of motivation upon application. You will need to attend a telephone interview to discuss your expectations and suitability for this internship.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To help local project staff working to develop small businesses
To gain hands-on business experience in the context of a social enterprise / NGO
To share your creativity and problem solving skills, while learning from others
Where will I work in South Africa?
Interns are based in either Cape Town, South Africa or in Swaziland. Cape Town is a dynamic city with plenty to offer interns in their spare time. You will enjoy exploring the city’s museums, beaches, bars and hiking trails. You are welcome to travel over weekends as well to nearby sites.
In Swaziland. you will be located in the Ezulwini Valley, also known as “The Valley of Heaven”. Interns will spend evenings hanging out by the pool, listening to wildlife, or socializing at a cafe or restaurant. On weekends, you can join a safari or hike up one of the nearby mountains. Visits to the beaches of Mozambique or a safari in Kruger National Park in South Africa are possible options for weekend trips from Swaziland.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4+ weeks
- Cost: £1699 / $2653 for 4 weeks
additional weekly prices can be found in the drop-down menu
- Requirements: Age 16+
- Location: Ezulwini Valley in Eswatini or Cape Town in South Africa
- Working hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 - 15:00
- Project availability: All year round, except for the month of December
- Arrival day: 1st Monday of every month
What is included
- Accommodation: dorm accommodation in a house with 4-8 others, shared communal areas, kitchen and swimming pool
- Food: 3 meals per day
- Airport pick up and drop off from Cape Town International Airport (South Africa placements) or from OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg (Swaziland placements)
- Training: pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation, cultural tour and project induction
- Support: 24-hour support from on-site coordinator
- Assistance from local staff to plan weekend excursions
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Daily transfers to and from the project
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Click here to apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Refine your photography skills, enhance your CV and help create impactful images for a local NGO in Cape Town
Join Kaya's NGO Development Internship and gain key skills to enhance your CV whilst contributing to impactful work in Livingstone, Zambia.
Join Kaya's whale and dolphin conservation internship on the Pacific Coast of Ecuador to protect habitats and species.
Experience the wildlife show of a lifetime whilst contributing to key research and conservation efforts in the Maasai Mara
Develop your experience through an hospitality management internship in an African context working for an award winning backpacker lodge
Develop and share your business skills by participating in this microfinance internship in Africa.
If you are under 18 join this initiative Volunteering for 16 and 17 Year Olds in Swaziland
Develop and share your knowledge of healthy eating, cooking methods and the impact of diet on childhood development and growth by joining this nutrition internship in Swaziland.