There are many small businesses in Africa looking for the support of interns to share their ideas and time. In exchange, you will receive a hands-on experience in the challenges faced every day in developing nations’ business ventures. Whether you are interested in HR, finance, policies or marketing, these small businesses will appreciate your fresh perspectives and support with their activities. Bring your business skills and study experience and join us in South Africa or Swaziland to enhance the future of a social enterprise.
Why choose this project?
As a student or someone with a business background, you can share your knowledge with local business owners and help them to develop business strategy, marketing materials and procedures. You will have the incredible opportunity to learn about the different elements of a small business in an international setting, which will be an asset to your CV/resume.
This is a varied and interesting placement that gives you a unique look at the challenges faced by these businesses. You may be involved in the following activities:
- Capacity building and training of staff (topics dependent on experience)
- Assistance with production of items, introducing new product lines or working methods
- Development of strategies for marketing, including website design and social media use
- Creation of policies and procedures to manage human resources and finances
- Assistance with business development and identification of growth areas
- Development of monitoring and evaluation tools to identify the impact of business on the lives of the local community and customer engagement
Potential study related learning outcomes from this internship include:
- Creating and implementing practical policies, protocols and strategies
- Conducting research for business growth and strengthening market position
- Designing and using websites and social media in order to market and generate income
- Managing and running a small business, including finance and personnel management
You will attend weekly meetings to review your progress with the MD of the small business. At the end of your placement, you will be asked to present a final reflection to the MD and the local project team.
Interns should be studying either business, social entrepreneurship, finance, HR, or marketing. Having previous experience in those sectors is also useful, even if you are not still studying. You will be supported during your placement by a dedicated mentor but will be expected to use your own initiative throughout. Bring a positive attitude, lots of ideas, and a willingness to work as part of a team to make the most out of this placement.
It is recommended that you bring their own laptop to work on marketing and product development and your final presentation. You will be asked to submit a CV/resume and a letter of motivation upon application. You will need to attend a telephone interview to discuss your expectations and suitability for this internship.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To help local project staff working to develop small businesses
To gain hands-on business experience in the context of a social enterprise / NGO
To share your creativity and problem solving skills, while learning from others
Interns are based in either Cape Town, South Africa or in Swaziland. Cape Town is a dynamic city with plenty to offer interns in their spare time. You will enjoy exploring the city’s museums, beaches, bars and hiking trails. You are welcome to travel over weekends as well to nearby sites.
In Swaziland. you will be located in the Ezulwini Valley, also known as “The Valley of Heaven”. Interns will spend evenings hanging out by the pool, listening to wildlife, or socializing at a cafe or restaurant. On weekends, you can join a safari or hike up one of the nearby mountains. Visits to the beaches of Mozambique or a safari in Kruger National Park in South Africa are possible options for weekend trips from Swaziland.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 4+ weeks
- Cost: £1601 / $2802 for 4 weeks
additional weekly prices can be found in the drop-down menu
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Cape Town, South Africa or Lidwala, Swaziland
- Project activities: market research, finance, HR, policy creation, social media content design, marketing review
- Working hours: 7:30 – 17:00
- Project availability: all year round, with the exception of November & December when the project is closed
- Arrival day: 1st Mondays of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: dorm accommodation in a house with 4-8 others, shared communal areas, kitchen and swimming pool
- Food: 3 meals per day
- Airport pick up and drop off from Cape Town International Airport (South Africa placements) or from OR Tambo Airport in Johannesburg (Swaziland placements)
- Training: pre-departure information pack, on-site orientation, cultural tour and project induction
- Support: 24-hour support from on-site coordinator
- Assistance from local staff to plan weekend excursions
- Learning Reflection Document
- Certificate on completion of internship
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Daily transfers to and from the project
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Be part of a team working to spread knowledge and education.
Learn about the impacts of Human Rights, Social Justice & NGO Management abroad
Gain some real experience in Journalism abroad!
If you want to help a rural impoverished community while learning about the culture and the people of Cambodia, all that while making friends, this is a placement for you!
Take a hands-on role in reforestation and environmental education by volunteering on this mass action project in South Africa this summer.
Veterinary internship in South Africa Wild Coast catering to 2nd and 3rd-year students
Volunteer and have an amazing time working on this game reserve in Port Elizabeth. Work with South Africa's big 5: lion, African elephant, cape buffalo, rhino and leopard.
Join our veterinarian volunteering at one of South Africa’s premier game reserves developing your knowledge of diagnosing, treating and preserving wildlife in their natural habitats.