Based on a tiny private island in the sapodilla Cayes, off the coast of Punta Gorda, this marine conservation project has worked in conjunction with the fisheries department for the past 7 years researching issues affecting the world’s second largest coral reef. Focusing currently on the invasion of alien Lion Fish to the Belizean waters, as well as monitoring Lobster populations, Conch migration, coral health, fish species and whale shark identification.
This internship works alongside the project leaders to prepare reports with the data collected by volunteers, liaise with the fisheries departments and local fishermen looking at sustainable fishing practices and conduct educational sessions for tourists and locals. This internship will give you an invaluable insight into marine conservation while enjoying living on a caribbean island.
View more of Kaya's environmental conservation volunteer abroad projects around the world.
Data gathered by volunteers has to be processed and submitted with recommendations and analysis. Interns are needed to work alongside the project leaders to carry out this important element of the conservation work, and it is a great opportunity to get an insight into the bigger picture in the issues surrounding marine ecology and conservation. You will benefit from acquiring diving skills that you will be able to use all over the world.
• Duration: 4 weeks
• Cost: £2550/$4463
• Requirements: 18+
• Location – Sapodilla Cayes Marine National Park, Belize
• Project activities: Diving, spear fishing, species identification, documenting shell measurements. writing reports
• Working hours - generally 3 dives per day – weather dependent
• Projects availability - January and August
• Arrival day: Sunday
• Airport pick up and drop off from Punta Gorda Airport
• Accommodation: In a single or shared room on the island during the week and in a hostel on the mainland (in Punta Gorda) at weekends
• Weekly Transfers to and from the island each week
• Food: 3 meals per day on the island (Monday to Friday only)
• All diving equipment (we recommend you bring your own mask and wetsuit)
• PADI Open Water or Advanced course, training in eco diving methods & spear fishing techniques
• Certificate on successful completion of internship
• Flights (internal flights from Belize city to Punta Gorda can be arranged for $145 each way per person)
• PADI admin fee - $50 for each cert.
• PADI manual for the relevant course
• Meals in Punta Gorda at weekends, Mon breakfast and Friday dinner
• Marine reserve island fees - $25 per week or $75 per month
Volunteer within the schools and social se...
£ 1405 ($2459) for 4 weeks
Do you have the skills necessary to volunt...
£ 1404 ($2457) for 4 weeks
Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in pub...
£ 975 ($1707) for 2 weeks
Work in tandem with local schools to suppo...
£ 1405 ($2459) for 4 weeks
Volunteer in Belize and lend a hand in rur...
£ 975 ($1706) for 2 weeks