What is the Environmental Conservation on Biological Stations in the Amazon & on the Coast of Ecuador project all about?
Volunteer on the Coast of Ecuador on this environmental conservation project and gain an incredible insight into the biodiversity of this region. The project NGO is committed to research and habitat protection and restoration for threatened species.
Despite its small landmass, Ecuador is renowned for its mega-diversity due to its variety of life zones, including: mangrove swamps, dry tropical forest, tropical cloud forest, and tropical lowland rainforest. Of the world’s known bird species (about 9,000), tiny Ecuador is home to over 1,500.
The destruction of habitats in the Ecuadorian Amazon is considered one of the greatest threats to the conservation of biodiversity and the main cause for the extinction of wild species. Renowned scientists estimate that approximately 137 species are being driven to extinction everyday, that is 50,000 each year.
This environmental conservation and community education initiative offers volunteer opportunities on the coast of Ecuador. Volunteer work includes reforestation, environmental education, community service and development, plant conservation, agroforestry, organic agriculture, field data collection, and scientific research. Come and volunteer and help this amazing work continue, contributing to the sustainability of these essential wildlife conservation initiatives.
Why choose this Environmental Conservation in Protected Areas project?
- Play an important role in supporting local staff in their conservation efforts. There are many practical environmental projects such as reforestation, park maintenance, wildlife monitoring, feeding, helping with research projects and providing education about the issues facing Ecuador’s environment and wildlife, tasks which cannot always be accomplished in full by the staff alone.
- Gain an understanding of the challenges facing environmental projects while providing your assistance to help the project proceed in full stride.
- Support the local efforts while adding this invaluable experience to your CV/Resume as well.
Role of the Conservation Volunteer
Your specific volunteer role will depend on the ongoing initiatives at the time of your projects, as well as your specific skills and interests.
On the coast, help in the recovery, reintroduction and release process of critically endangered macaws, who have been victims of illegal trafficking and ecosystem destruction. The goal at this private reserve is to establish a wild population of macaws in the surrounding area. Work with the support of local foundations and parks to achieve this. Depending on the season, your fieldwork may include going to the forest and climbing trees to monitor nesting sites. You will also be involved in the maintenance of the aviary, cleaning of cages, feeding and monitoring of the birds. Professionals in the fields of biology, zoology, ornithology, environmental sciences or other related areas could assist with more technical functions.
Your work will vary slightly according to your location but Kaya’s advisors will help you choose the best location for you with regards to your skills and interests.
What skills do I need to be a Conservation Volunteer in Ecuador?
No specific skills are required to participate. A knowledge of Spanish would be helpful but is not a pre-requisite for your acceptance onto the project. The main requirement is a positive attitude, willingness to work hard on each project. You should be interested in reforestation or biodiversity and be passionate about steps to help conserve the environment. This is a great placement for anyone interested in ornithology or birding in general.
Travel during COVID times
The health and safety of our travelers and our local communities remain central to our plans for reopening countries and projects. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been adapting our programs and protocols to protect all those involved, and ask for everyone’s patience and collaboration as new rules are implemented in-country. For all projects, new standards of sanitation, procedures and social behaviors are in place, including new health and hygiene protocols and social distancing practices. You can read more here. Each location may be slightly different in the way they operate. We encourage you to inquire to your placement advisor to learn more about your specific project as you plan for your responsible return to travel!
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
Where will I work in Ecuador?
Details & Costs
- Working hours:
- Project availability:
- Arrival day:
What is included
- Accommodation: Room with a homestay family. Hostel stay while in Quito, including Breakfast
- Food: 3 meals per day during your project placement
- Airport pick up and drop off in Quito
- Training: Orientation in Quito, pre- departure pack, on-site orientation and project induction included
- Transfer to the projects
- Support: 24-hour support
- Local SIM card and phone ($50 deposit required, phone must be returned when you leave)
- Excursions planning: Staff will help plan activities and excursions (activities may cost extra
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Transfer to and from your project
- Optional intensive Spanish classes 1-week programme £355 / $621 including accommodation
- Optional excursion on the Sunday on your arrival weekend please speak to an advisor if you want to know more
- Any costs for COVID-19 PCR tests required pre-departure and in-country
Easy 4-step application process
Apply online and pay your application fee to apply for your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
Once we’ve received your application, we’ll review your details and be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
Following your interview, we will provide you a placement offer. Once you are ready to confirm your placement and dates, you can pay your confirmation fee to book and secure your space.
When you have confirmed your project dates we'll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
Join this Scientific Skills Based Marine Internship in Gansbaai South Africa as and assist world class biologists and researchers.
Join the clean and renewable energy internship in South Africa and make an impact environmentally or economically, depending on your field!
Join this organic farming and food security initiative, aimed at providing a sustainable source of healthy foods for young mothers and inner city youth in Belize.