Join our agriculture internship in Vietnam and develop your knowledge of policy, research, education and services on an agricultural development project. This internship focuses on research and approaches that lead to enhanced benefits for Vietnamese farmers, businesses and communities. Topics include: sustainable agriculture, rural livelihoods, commodity change, quality management, production systems, forestry governance and pro-poor policy advocacy.
There are several projects, depending on the nature of the internship, that are looking for assistance. One project aims to generate bigger values for Vietnam’s agricultural system, while immersing children in nature to develop a green mind-set to protect their living environment in the future. Another, carries out research assignments and consultations in collaboration with national and international development agencies and organisations. Whatever your specialism, this agriculture internship is sure to have something fascinating for you.
Why choose this project?
You will gain hands-on experience, supporting your studies, by working directly for an organisation that focuses on your specialism. The skills you develop may include: report writing, research and data collection and analysis. The projects benefit by having bright, motivated interns advancing their research and policy implementation, thus securing the environmental safety of Vietnamese communities.
Your internship will be shaped by the placement that is most suited to your studies. You will work with local experts and may be involved in:
- Agriculture – development of project concept notes, proposals, website edits and newsletter articles; support the development, management and implementation of sustainable agriculture, livelihood and value chain projects; undertake needs assessments, conducting baseline surveys; organise logistics of workshops.
- Agritourism and education – organise events and activities for groups of children from different schools; take care of crops and livestock at the farm; run English lessons for farm staff; contribute ideas to improve the quality of the farm services; learn about agritourism in Vietnam, recommending changes where appropriate.
- Agronomy – regular field checks and problem diagnosis; insect, weed and disease monitoring; collating soil moisture statistics; assisting with irrigation scheduling and soil sampling; assist producers with equipment calibration; generate computerised field reports.
- Agriculture policy – review rural development policies focusing on the following aspects: agricultural cooperative development, territorial management and agro-industry clusters; assist with communication-related tasks, such as rural development newsletters, policy briefs and project documents and papers; help to organise scientific seminars and workshops.
Interns will be asked to produce an end of placement report or presentation to reflect on your learning and share recommendations with the local project team. It is recommended that you bring a laptop with you to enable you to do this, and other project activities.
If you are studying or have experience in any field of agriculture, this is an excellent placement for you. You must be diligent, highly motivated and able to manage your time. You will be working with a team, so good communication and team working competencies are important. You will be asked to send your CV/resume to identify your skills, experience and interests before being accepted onto this internship.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To learn more about hands on initiatives to improving agricultural practices in Asia
To develop your knowledge for your degree subject
To spend time exploring the fascinating Vietnamese countryside
Your home setting will depend on your accommodation choice, whether homestay or studio apartment, but you will be located in the bustling city of Ho Chi Minh. Located in the south of Vietnam, this city is filled with treasure new and old from modern skyscrapers and dining to ancient pagodas and temples. During the weekends, head out to the Chu Chi Tunnels, relax on the coast at Danang or enjoy the arts scene in Hoi An.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 8 – 12 weeks, longer terms available
Minimum of 8 weeks recommended to have better chances to find a placement and get the most out of the experience
- Cost: £2916 / $5103 for 8 weeks
£365 / $639 for each extra 2 weeks
(A deposit of £565 / $989 is required to secure your space)
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City, and some regional placements in Vietnam
- Project activities: depends on internship, but may include marketing and project documents, running education sessions, sample gathering
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week
- Project Availability: all year round apart, from mid-January to mid-February due to Lunar New Year Celebrations
- Arrival day: First and Third Thursdays of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: room in a studio apartment with cooking facilities & ensuite, common room with TV. Or, live with a homestay family with your own room and shared living space & bathroom.
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Ho Chi Minh International Airport
- Meals: breakfast & dinner (only if staying at a homestay)
- Training: pre-departure pack, pre-departure & on-site orientation including cultural awareness & learning reflection document
- A local buddy
- Local phone with Vietnamese SIM
- Project certificate on completion of the final presentation
- 24-hour support
- City tour:
- cultural excursion (for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta)
- departure meal
- Visa processing fee and guidance
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Transfers to and from your placement
- Electricity bills for studio apartments
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
SPEAK TO A PLACEMENT ADVISOR
Contact us through the website, via email or phone. Our experienced staff are ready to help.
Apply online and pay your project security deposit. Our advisers will then contact you to guide you through the final steps.
REVIEW PROJECT DOCUMENTATION
Once you have applied we will send you more information and details about your project
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourseleves on providing you high quality project information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Combine study abroad and volunteering for a semester in Vietnam
Join this NGO Business Internship in Vietnam and develop your business knowledge by working with local community projects.
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Medical and Healthcare Internship in Vietnam
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Occupational Therapy Internship in Vietnam at a recovery centre
Develop your knowledge of the theory and practical elements in tackling global warming on this Climate Change Internship in Vietnam