Join our agriculture internship in Vietnam and develop your knowledge of policy, research, education and services on an agricultural development project. A number of organisations are improving working practices, the quality of crops, doing research and educating communities. This internship focuses on research and approaches that lead to enhanced benefits for Vietnam farmers, businesses and communities. Topics include sustainable agriculture, rural livelihoods, commodity change and quality management, production system, forestry governance and pro-poor policy advocacy.
There are several projects depending on your interest that are looking for assistance. One project aims to generate bigger values for Vietnam’s agricultural system while immersing children in nature to develop a green mindset to protect their living environment in the future. Another carries out research assignments and consultations in collaboration with both national and international development agencies and organisations. Whatever your specialism, this agriculture internship is sure to have something fascinating for you.
Why choose this project?
- Gain hands-on experience supporting your studies through working directly for an organization with a focus on your specialism.
- Use your knowledge gained through studying or practical experience and apply it to your role, learning how theory is applied.
- Develop new skills including report writing, research and data collection and analysis.
Your internship will be shaped by the placement that is most suited to your studies. You will work with local experts and may be involved in:
- Agriculture – assist with the development of project concept notes and proposals, website and newsletter articles, support the development, management and implementation of sustainable agriculture, livelihood and value chain projects, including undertaking needs assessments, conducting baseline surveys and assisting in organising workshops’ logistics.
- Agritourism and education – organising events and activities for groups of children from different schools, taking care of the crops and livestock at the farm and running English lessons for farm staff. You will contribute ideas to improve the quality of the farm services while learning about the local agritourism, and recommending changes when appropriate.
- Agronomy – regular field checks and diagnosis of problems, insects, weeds and disease monitoring, collating soil moisture statistics, assisting with irrigation scheduling and soil sampling. You may also be asked to assist producers with equipment calibration and generation of computerised detailed field reports
- Agriculture policy – review world experiences on building rural development policies with a focus on agricultural cooperative development, territorial management and agro-industry clusters. You will assist with communication-related tasks such as rural development newsletters, policy briefs and project documents and papers. You will help to organise scientific seminars and workshops.
Interns will be asked to produce an end of placement report or presentation so that you can reflect on your learning and share recommendations with the local project team. It is recommended that you bring a laptop with you to enable you to do this and other project activities.
If you are studying or have experience in agriculture, this could be an excellent placement for you. It goes without saying that you must be diligent, highly motivated and able to manage your time. You will be working with a team so good communication and team working competencies are important. You will be asked to send your CV/resume to identify your skills, experience and interests before being accepted onto this internship.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To learn more about hands on initiatives to improving agricultural practices in Asia
To develop your knowledge for your degree subject
To spend time exploring the fascinating Vietnamese countryside
Your home setting will depend on your accommodation choice, whether homestay or studio apartment, but you will be located in the bustling city of Ho Chi Minh. Located in the south of Vietnam, this city is filled with treasure new and old from modern skyscrapers and dining to ancient pagodas and temples. During the weekends, head out to the Chu Chi Tunnels, relax on the coast at Danang or enjoy the arts scene in Hoi An.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 8 – 12 weeks, longer terms available
Minimum of 8 weeks recommended to have better chances to find a placement and get the most out of the experience
- Cost: £2916 / $5103 for 8 weeks
£365 / $639 for each extra 2 weeks
(A deposit of £565 / $989 is required to secure your space)
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi or some regional placements in Vietnam depending on speciality
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week
- Project Availability: all year round apart, from mid-January to mid-February due to Lunar New Year Celebrations
- Arrival day: First and Third Thursdays of the month
What is included
Accommodation: room in a studio apartment with cooking facilities & ensuite, common room with TV. Or, live with a homestay family with your own room and shared living space & bathroom.
Meals: breakfast & dinner (only if staying at a homestay), welcome and departure meal
Airport pick up: pick-up and drop off from Ho Chi Minh International Airport or Noi Bai Airport
Training: pre-departure pack, pre-departure & on-site orientation including cultural awareness & learning reflection document
Support: 24-hour support + Local Buddy
Local phone with Vietnamese SIM
City tour & cultural excursion: for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta
Excursions: Staff will help plan cultural visits (activity prices will be extra)
Visa process fee and guidance
Certificate on completion of internship
Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Transfers to and from your placement
- Electricity bills for studio apartments
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
SPEAK TO A PLACEMENT ADVISOR
Contact us through the website, via email or phone. Our experienced staff are ready to help.
Apply online and pay your project security deposit. Our advisers will then contact you to guide you through the final steps.
REVIEW PROJECT DOCUMENTATION
Once you have applied we will send you more information and details about your project
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourseleves on providing you high quality project information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Combine study abroad and volunteering for a semester in Vietnam
Join this NGO Business Internship in Vietnam and develop your business knowledge by working with local community projects.
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Medical and Healthcare Internship in Vietnam
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Occupational Therapy Internship in Vietnam at a recovery centre
Develop your knowledge of the theory and practical elements in tackling global warming on this Climate Change Internship in Vietnam