Join our agriculture internship in Vietnam and develop your knowledge of policy, research, education and services on an agricultural development project. A number of organisations are improving working practices, the quality of crops, doing research and educating communities. This internship focuses on research and approaches that lead to enhanced benefits for Vietnam farmers, businesses and communities. Topics include sustainable agriculture, rural livelihoods, commodity change and quality management, production system, forestry governance and pro-poor policy advocacy.
There are several projects depending on your interest that are looking for assistance. One project aims to generate bigger values for Vietnam’s agricultural system while immersing children in nature to develop a green mindset to protect their living environment in the future. Another carries out research assignments and consultations in collaboration with both national and international development agencies and organisations. Whatever your specialism, this agriculture internship is sure to have something fascinating for you.
Why choose this project?
- Gain hands-on experience supporting your studies through working directly for an organization with a focus on your specialism.
- Use your knowledge gained through studying or practical experience and apply it to your role, learning how theory is applied.
- Develop new skills including report writing, research and data collection and analysis.
Your internship will be shaped by the placement that is most suited to your studies. You will work with local experts and may be involved in:
- Agriculture – assist with the development of project concept notes and proposals, website and newsletter articles, support the development, management and implementation of sustainable agriculture, livelihood and value chain projects, including undertaking needs assessments, conducting baseline surveys and assisting in organising workshops’ logistics.
- Agritourism and education – organising events and activities for groups of children from different schools, taking care of the crops and livestock at the farm and running English lessons for farm staff. You will contribute ideas to improve the quality of the farm services while learning about the local agritourism, and recommending changes when appropriate.
- Agronomy – regular field checks and diagnosis of problems, insects, weeds and disease monitoring, collating soil moisture statistics, assisting with irrigation scheduling and soil sampling. You may also be asked to assist producers with equipment calibration and generation of computerised detailed field reports
- Agriculture policy – review world experiences on building rural development policies with a focus on agricultural cooperative development, territorial management and agro-industry clusters. You will assist with communication-related tasks such as rural development newsletters, policy briefs and project documents and papers. You will help to organise scientific seminars and workshops.
Interns will be asked to produce an end of placement report or presentation so that you can reflect on your learning and share recommendations with the local project team. It is recommended that you bring a laptop with you to enable you to do this and other project activities.
If you are studying or have experience in agriculture, this could be an excellent placement for you. It goes without saying that you must be diligent, highly motivated and able to manage your time. You will be working with a team so good communication and team working competencies are important. You will be asked to send your CV/resume to identify your skills, experience and interests before being accepted onto this internship.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To learn more about hands on initiatives to improving agricultural practices in Asia
To develop your knowledge for your degree subject
To spend time exploring the fascinating Vietnamese countryside
Your home setting will depend on your accommodation choice. The default accommodation being a shared studio apartment. For an additional cost, you may choose to stay in a homestay or have your individual room in a studio apartment. Regardless, you will be located in the bustling city of Ho Chi Minh. Located in the south of Vietnam, this city is filled with treasure new and old from modern skyscrapers and dining to ancient pagodas and temples. During the weekends, head out to the Chu Chi Tunnels, relax on the coast at Danang or enjoy the arts scene in Hoi An.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 8 – 24 weeks
Minimum of 8 weeks recommended to have better chances to find a placement and get the most out of the experience
- Cost: £2624 / $4199 for 8 weeks
£250 / $400 for each extra 2 weeks
(A deposit of £550 / $880 is required to secure your space)
- Requirements: age 18+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi or some regional placements in Vietnam depending on specialty
- Project activities: depends on the nature of the internship
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 30 hours per week
- Project Availability: all year round apart, from mid-January to mid-February due to Lunar New Year Celebrations
- Arrival day: First and Third Thursdays of the month
What is included
- Accommodation: shared room in a studio apartment with 3 other students/young professional. Option to have an individual studio apartment or homestay for an extra fee. You will have access to wifi and air conditioning as well as a kitchen and fridge in the studio.
- Airport pick-up and drop off from Ho Chi Minh International Airport
- Meals: None included (unless you stay with a homestay family)
- Training: pre-departure pack, pre-departure & on-site orientation including cultural awareness & learning reflection document
- A local buddy
- Local phone with Vietnamese SIM
- Project certificate on completion of the final presentation
- 24-hour support
- City tour:
- cultural excursion (for Hanoi placement, you will get a 1-day tour of Ha Long Bay, for Ho Chi Ming City, you will get a 1-day tour of Mekong Delta)
- departure meal
- Visa processing fee and guidance
- Supervision from qualified professional
What is not included
- Transfers to and from your placement
- Electricity bills for individual studio apartments
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
SPEAK TO A PLACEMENT ADVISOR
Contact us through the website, via email or phone. Our experienced staff are ready to help.
Apply online and pay your project security deposit. Our advisers will then contact you to guide you through the final steps.
REVIEW PROJECT DOCUMENTATION
Once you have applied we will send you more information and details about your project
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourseleves on providing you high quality project information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Gain meaningful work experience in an area relevant to your potential career choice and participate in the Travel and Tourism Internship in Asia.
Combine study abroad and volunteering for a semester in Vietnam
Join this NGO Business Internship in Vietnam and develop your business knowledge by working with local community projects.
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Medical and Healthcare Internship in Vietnam
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Occupational Therapy Internship in Vietnam at a recovery centre