Bring your caring and sharing approach to life and participate in community volunteering in Southern Vietnam and help local centres with the care and activities supporting the children who are HIV+ and children who have disabilities. The centres look after the vulnerable in a daycare centre and residential capacity and help is always needed to give the residents and visitors more one on one care. Individual attention is vital to improve the well-being of the people which is why the projects are seeking the input of volunteers. These groups of vulnerable children are welcome at the centres and not only do they receive meals and basic care they also participate in activities to make their time enjoyable. Come and volunteer with Kaya at one of these centres and bring extra support to local staff with the essential services they provide to the communities.
Why choose this project?
Gain an incredible insight into how the welfare of vulnerable members of Vietnamese society is addressed and be a part of that process. These centres work hard to take care of those who are in desperate need of support with the day to day activities and as a volunteer, you can make that work a little easier, as well as a little more fun for the project beneficiaries. Not only will you build experience for your CV/Resume, you will gain an international network of friends and grow personally through your experiences on the project and during your time in Vietnam.
Role of the volunteer
Volunteers will be supporting the overstretched local staff with their duties. Volunteers can choose to focus on one of the following community projects:
- Children who are HIV positive – support this daycare centre and children’s home with care for children who are HIV+ through assisting teachers helping at meal times, helping with sensory development activities, teaching the children songs, games and activities and assisting with homework
- Children with disabilities – at this centre, the children have mental and physical disabilities and you can get involved by helping with daily care, assisting with mealtimes and trips to the bathroom, running activities such as art and games and generally helping the children with their mobility
Volunteers should bring a positive attitude and help where needed on these placements.
This project is very suitable for those volunteers who can bring their enthusiasm, kind nature and willingness to help others. No specific areas of expertise or skills are sought as this placement relies heavily on compassion and an interest in others. Some of the tasks are not glamorous but it s a very worthwhile placement. The project is looking for volunteers who like to work as part of a team but who are able to use their own initiative when required. You will be asked to send your CV/resume to identify your skills, experience and interests before being accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To help support local workers caring for vulnerable members of the community
To share your time with those who have less opportunity for one on one support
To visit and learn about the thriving Ho Chi Minh city and Vietnamese culture
About the Location
You will be arriving into the city of Ho Chi Minh City, where your orientation will take place. Ho Chi Minh City formerly name is Saigon. It is the largest city in Vietnam which is 13 KM far from Tan Son Nhat International airport. It was the capital of French Colony protectorate of Cochin China 1862-1954 and South Vietnam the city lies along the Saigon River, to the north of the Mekong river delta about 80 km from the South China Sea. It is an international tourist destination with a rapid growth and is one of Vietnam most famous seaside towns as there are plenty of tourist attractions. People in Ho Chi Minh are generally good-natured, honest and fun. They may ask you slightly personal questions at times but that is because they are curious and interested in western culture. They are hardworking people and down to earth. And while they may be friendly, they are also not shy. Merchants and peddlers do see western travellers as great sources of income and relatively easy marks. They bargain aggressively and will challenge your best negotiation skills!
For the duration of your volunteer project, you will be staying in a volunteer house in a shared room for up to 4 people of the same sex. The house is located in the bustling city of Ho Chi Minh, once known as Saigon. The volunteer house has internet access, a lounge with satellite TV, a dining area, mini library, fridge with a small freezer and a travel desk. You will have access to plenty of indoor and outdoor games when you are not volunteering and you just want to relax with the rest of the volunteers.
What to do in your spare time
Excursions are a fundamental part of the abroad experience that allows you to discover more about the country in which you are volunteering. Excursions are optional and during weekends you will be free to travel and explore as you choose. For your convenience, the local team does have two pre-arranged trips that you can signup for in advance for an additional fee including Mekong Delta and Mui Ne. Ask your placement advisor for more details.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 – 26 weeks
- Cost: £840 / $1469 for 2 weeks
£141 / $246 for additional weeks after week 8.
- Requirements: age 16+
- Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- Project activities: assisting with meal times, helping with mobility, running activities
- Working hours: Monday – Friday, 5 – 6 hours per day
- Project availability: all year around
- Arrival day: Monday, twice per month.
What is included
- Accommodation: shared room in a volunteer house with common room with TV, dining area, fridge and mini library; on-site chef and housekeeper
- Internet access
- Meals: 3 meals per day Monday – Friday (packed lunches at lunchtime)
- Dinner with a local family
- Airport pickup and drop off from Tan Son Nhat International Airport
- Training: pre-departure packs, on-site orientation, including cultural awareness
- Support: 24-hour support
- Local cooking demonstration
- One local dinner with a host family to experience everyday life of Regular Vietnamese People.
What is not included
- Police/Government Background Check: US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies); all other nationalities must provide local police check.
- Optional weekend excursions to Mekong Delta on your first weekend of the placement and Mui Ne on your second weekend of the placement (£235 / $412 additional fee for both excursions)
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Experience health promotion and community development through this internship by assisting local staff with the daily challenges facing residents
Be part of a team working to spread knowledge and education.
Learn about the impacts of Human Rights, Social Justice & NGO Management abroad
If you want to help a rural impoverished community while learning about the culture and the people of Cambodia, all that while making friends, this is a placement for you!
Combine study abroad and volunteering for a semester in Vietnam
Join this NGO Business Internship in Vietnam and develop your business knowledge by working with local community projects.
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Medical and Healthcare Internship in Vietnam
Develop your practical and theoretical skills as a professional on this Occupational Therapy Internship in Vietnam at a recovery centre
Develop your knowledge of the theory and practical elements in tackling global warming on this Climate Change Internship in Vietnam