What is the Community Volunteering at Christmas in Zambia project all about?
Volunteer near the amazing Victoria Falls in Zambia on a project working with local communities and do something extra special this Christmas. Instead of overindulging and trying to keep the family happy, why not do something different and help those a lot less fortunate than you this year?
The project works with disadvantaged children and adults in a number of communities located near Livingstone in Zambia. The mornings are dedicated to supporting the children in the community who are on their long break from school. The project runs a holiday club for up to 100 children. “Hot seating” where there are top up lessons for each class take place for a few hours each day = back to back lessons for different classes giving children of different levels a chance to get the a few hours extra tuition which they badly need. Afternoons are spent focusing on other activities in the community. Children are continued to be supported through art club and structured activities focused on play. Projects also support adults through farming initiatives, a literacy club, and by working in an old peoples home.
So why not become immersed in local Zambian life and culture and make friends for life on the project, both locals and other international volunteers, by participating on this community volunteering project at Christmas.
Why choose this Community volunteering in Zambia project?
Make a positive impact by using your Christmas holiday and spend it with communities in Zambia. You will benefit from cultural immersion and make life-long friends. Help support local staff and give them a break from their tireless efforts to support disadvantaged children and give the children themselves an opportunity to have some individual attention.
Role of the Community volunteer
During the morning volunteers work with the children, helping with lessons and learning support. In the afternoon volunteers will be split between the adult and children’s activities. Some activities in which you may be involved include:
- reading clubs with children – teaching phonics, helping with pronunciation and spelling
- art activities – bring your own activities and ideas and have fun with the children
- adult literacy club following a structured syllabus
- maintaining crops through planting, watering and weeding
- games, reading and physical activities with the elderly
- after school club activities such as skipping, colouring, beading etc.
You will be asked to participate in a range of activities during your placement period so you will have plenty of opportunity to interact with various age groups within the community.
What skills do I need to be a Community volunteer in Zambia?
You do not need to have any specific skills to participate in this project. Just bring along your enthusiasm and willingness to get involved. Anyone with experience in child care, education or working with the elderly will be more than welcome. If you have a specific skill that you are able to share please let us know. You will be asked to send your CV/resume before being accepted onto this project.
WHY JOIN THE PROJECT
To give your Christmas a meaningful focus rather than materialistic one this year
To help a local team and community with efforts to improve everyday life
Give and receive something a little different this Christmas
Where will I work in Zambia?
Livingstone is a large town and has many things to offer from Internet Cafes, a bakery, Ice-cream parlour, Barclays bank, ATM’s, curio markets, supermarkets, local markets, a post office, various restaurants including Chinese, seafood, Indian, Italian, English, of course – Zambian to museums! You will be staying near to one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the world – Victoria Falls, where you will find a wide range of adrenalin activities, river boats, and game viewing opportunities.
Livingstone is situated in a prime location between some fantastic countries and will be in an ideal location for spending the weekend in Zimbabwe. Alternatively, why not pop over to Chobe National Park in Botswana for a day of ultimate game viewing or simply soak up the atmosphere at the amazing Victoria Falls. There are some truly amazing adventures to be had in this destination, so why not combine your volunteering with some time to take in all that Livingstone, Zambia and Zimbabwe have to offer.
Details & Costs
- Duration: 2 – 12 weeks
- Cost: £1414 / $2262 for 2 weeks
Additional weeks’ costs can be found in the drop-down menu
- Requirements: age 17+
- Location: Livingstone, Zambia
- Project activities: Building work, painting, running art club, playing games with the elderly
- Working hours: 07:45 – 16.30 Monday – Friday
- Project Availability: December to January – Please speak to an advisor
- Arrival day: Monday
What is included
- Accommodation: Single sex shared room in a backpackers with swimming pool, garden and rock climbing wall!
- Food: 3 meals per day – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Monday to Friday
- Airport pickup and drop off (from Livingstone International Airport, Zambia).
- Training: Pre-departure information pack, on-site Orientation and project induction provided
- Support: 24 hour support from on-site coordinator
- Transfers to and from your project each day
- Activities: Staff help organise weekend activities. (Activity price may be extra) Trips include: Bungee Jumping, White Water Rafting on the Zambezi, Helicopter Flights over Victoria Falls, Zambezi River Cruises, visits to Botswana’s Chobe National Park and weekend excursions across to Zimbabwe.
What is not included
- Meals at weekends
- Police/Government Background Check; US and UK citizens will be processed through Kaya (admin fee applies) all other nationalities must provide local police check.
Easy 3-step application process
APPLY ONLINE Click here to apply online and pay your deposit to secure your space on your chosen project. Our advisors will then contact you to guide you through the next steps.
TELEPHONE INTERVIEW Once we’ve received your application, we’ll be in touch to arrange your informal telephone interview with your Kaya Placement Advisor.
GET PREPARED When you’ve been accepted onto your project we’ll send you your Welcome Pack and lots of other helpful information to assist you with preparing for your placement.
HAVE A QUESTION?
We pride ourselves on providing you high quality placement information throughout your application process and whilst on the ground. Connect with us if you have any questions.
Join our social work and youth internship in South Africa and get involved in a local community while developing your professional skills in a different environment.
Join our human trafficking internship in South Africa and get involved with a local community on a worthy cause.
Volunteer Coaching Sports in Ghana placement provides participants with the opportunity to learn about the local community while sharing their knowledge and providing brighter prospects to the local athletes
Kaya Teach in Ghana placement provides participants with the opportunity to learn about the local community while sharing their knowledge and providing brighter prospects to the local students.
Experience health promotion and community development through this internship by assisting local staff with the daily challenges facing residents
Girl and women empowerment volunteering in Zambia offers the opportunity to increase access to education, sport, livelihoods and more.
Participate in a fascinating health promotion and community volunteering project assisting local staff with the daily challenges facing residents
Volunteer in Zambia on teaching and community work and support local schools with large class numbers and a small number of teachers.